Everton v Newcastle United - Sat 18th September (3pm)

Skeletor

His comments after the bpool game were more towards us not taking our chances rather than the team not creating/playing to the right standard. Second half anyway. He may just see it as an off day for our finishing & try again but have words about us starting with more tempo. Reckon Nolan will be starting.

Be pleasantly suprised if he went for Ben Arfa in Nolans position, but he has nothing solid to go off in terms of how we'd play. Norm bases his ideas on what hes seen to be successful previously, so id expect it more if hed tried it towards the end of a game first. Who knows though, he hasnt had Ben Arfas to use before.

I expect Smith will make way for Tiote though. Think Williamson, Simpson, hall all were given debut starts, so he seems to have more faith in changing defensive players.

We are creating chances but the massive priority in the transfer window was always going to be finding a striker who can bang in 15-20 goals this season. Carroll seems to be improving and fills some of the gap, but we needed more quality up front. We didn't sign an out and out striker so I get the impressiong Ben Arfa is our new striker, he just happens to be versatile which is a bonus because we're light on wingers.

Can't fault Hughton for picking the same team at Blackpool, his forwards let him down really although it wasn't a good performance either. We need to address this in the next game, get more pace, flair and quality up front because Everton will come out and attack us and if we have height and pace up front we might have chances to hit them on the counter.

As countless people have said, I was worried when Nolan was given the captaincy because he is a very droppable player and probably wouldn't feature in most people's best XI. It's high time he was dropped/'rested' for Ben Arfa. I'd keep both our wingers as they are because they're our only pace and creativity really. So Nolan has to go.

As for Tiote, hard to say as I have no idea what he's like. It's easy saying drop Smith for him but what if he's been signed as cheap cover? He's 24 and was a bench player in the Dutch league so I'm curious whether he was brought in as a potential first team player for us.

distin had dodgy game against manu, as highlighted on motd, maybe he is the player to target?

we could do something mental.....

diamond formation in middle.

arfa

nolan/ guthrie

tiote

sub on barton for guthrie as he tends to get tired.  Only inc nolan as i dont think hughton will drop him unless hes injured.

edit i just remmebered, we got perch in the team who is usefless going forward. SO scrap that (

I reckon if he is to drop Nolan which won't happen then we will see Smith, Tiote, and Barton all in midfield rather then the likes of Ben Arfa. His thinking maybe that if we win the ball in midfield then they won't be able to break us.

If Campbell's fit i'd have a think about bringing him in for Colo. Everton are good in the air.

Coloccini has been class so far this season. Why would we drop him for a player who is over the hill. Also, why are people talking about Cambell when we have a great young prospect like Kadar who grew in stature every game he played last year and who will probably go on to win 100 caps and lead his country in the future. I just dont get it.

We got relegated by persisting with washed up overpaid hasbeens, and the purge is still not complete in my eyes yet.

If Campbell's fit i'd have a think about bringing him in for Colo. Everton are good in the air.

Coloccini has been class so far this season. Why would we drop him for a player who is over the hill. Also, why are people talking about Cambell when we have a great young prospect like Kadar who grew in stature every game he played last year and who will probably go on to win 100 caps and lead his country in the future. I just dont get it.

We got relegated by persisting with washed up overpaid hasbeens, and the purge is still not complete in my eyes yet.

Campbell proved last season with Arsenal that he certainly isn't over the hill. Agree with your sentiments on Colo, he played well yesterday bar his stupid tackle, Williamson though looked a bit shakey at times as he seemed to be caught out by their movement and worryingly DJ Campbell outmuscled him on a few occasions as well.

We are creating chances but the massive priority in the transfer window was always going to be finding a striker who can bang in 15-20 goals this season. Carroll seems to be improving and fills some of the gap, but we needed more quality up front. We didn't sign an out and out striker so I get the impressiong Ben Arfa is our new striker, he just happens to be versatile which is a bonus because we're light on wingers.

Can't fault Hughton for picking the same team at Blackpool, his forwards let him down really although it wasn't a good performance either. We need to address this in the next game, get more pace, flair and quality up front because Everton will come out and attack us and if we have height and pace up front we might have chances to hit them on the counter.

As countless people have said, I was worried when Nolan was given the captaincy because he is a very droppable player and probably wouldn't feature in most people's best XI. It's high time he was dropped/'rested' for Ben Arfa. I'd keep both our wingers as they are because they're our only pace and creativity really. So Nolan has to go.

As for Tiote, hard to say as I have no idea what he's like. It's easy saying drop Smith for him but what if he's been signed as cheap cover? He's 24 and was a bench player in the Dutch league so I'm curious whether he was brought in as a potential first team player for us.

posting sense as always.

Krul

Collocini      Campbell        Williamson      Enrique

Ben Arfa        Barton          Tiote                Jonas

Nolan

Carroll

posting sense as always.

Agreed - the fact that Nolan was made Capt raises serious concerns about Hughton's judgment.

If he continues to play him and performances remain mediocre, he will pay with his job in the end.

posting sense as always.

Agreed - the fact that Nolan was made Capt raises serious concerns about Hughton's judgment.

If he continues to play him and performances remain mediocre, he will pay with his job in the end.

Butt started off the previous season as captain didn't he?

I reckon if he is to drop Nolan which won't happen then we will see Smith, Tiote, and Barton all in midfield rather then the likes of Ben Arfa. His thinking maybe that if we win the ball in midfield then they won't be able to break us.

Aye I can see Tiote and Smith both playing in the 4-2-3-1 formation

We're going to struggle with ball retention i suspect in this one. Our 4 or 5 across the middle are not good enough at 1-2 touch pass and move against a 5 man midfield operating a high pressured game like Everton. Even if HBA starts in the hole I'd imagine if Moyes has any sense he'll put Heitinga on him.

Guest WashyGeordie

Reckon we'll get beat, but who knows. If we start to play again like we did against Wolves, then we may get a point, but Everton are a better side than Wolves, and the weekend has wiped away the only optimism i did have.

So it just depends on what team wants to turn up tbh.

Head: 1-2 Everton win.

Heart: 1-1 draw (nick a win)  :clap2:

Lovenkrands ran onto Carroll's flick-ons about 3 times last season. Lovenkrands is neither a good partner for a Carroll nor a player who'll have an impact from the bench.

You don't rate Lovenkrands. We get it man.