Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Jonas tells press he has no idea why he wasn't playing for Newcastle. PARDEW told him in December to "find a new club" #ncfc #nufc

Sometimes it's best to just move on, the team had moved on without him and there wasn't looking like a way back for him and he'd be an expensive squad memeber to have. Stuff about the contract maybe true, who knows, but end of the day, the right decision has been made to let him look elsewhere and get rid.

Guest bimpy474

Jonas tells press he has no idea why he wasn't playing for Newcastle. PARDEW told him in December to "find a new club" #ncfc #nufc

Not good enough Jonas lad, not anymore anyhoo.

One more for Ronaldo...

KEVIN Keegan wasn’t usually lost for words. But he was the day after Jonas Gutierrez signed for Newcastle United.

That was everything to do with events off the field at St James’s Park in the summer of 2008 – Xisco was to prove a less welcome arrival before the end of the transfer window – and nothing to do with the winger himself.

Keegan, however, had a lot to say about Gutierrez after a memorable Premier League debut against Manchester United five and a half years ago.

Jonas Gutierrez: Why I had to leave Newcastle

Emotional Jonas Gutierrez bids farewell to Newcastle on Twitter

Gutierrez – who this week joined Norwich City on loan for the rest of the season – ran the length of the Old Trafford pitch and was denied a one-on-one with Edwin van der Saar by a superb tackle from Nemanja Vidic.

Keegan knew a thing or two about wingers, having signed David Ginola, Keith Gillespie and Scott Sellars during his first spell as manager.

He added: “I think the fans are going to love him. I know what Newcastle fans like. They’re just going to fall in love with this guy, as they have many others before him.”

Certainly Gutierrez headed to Norfolk with the best wishes of United fans. What he lacks in guile, he more than makes up for with graft. If anyone was physically capable of giving 110 per cent, it was the man dubbed “Spider-Man” for his famous masked goal celebration.

Gutierrez, under contract at St James’s Park for another 18 months, only scored 11 goals in 195 appearances. That’s not a great return for a winger.

But he is a peculiar kind of winger. He is nothing like Ginola, Gillespie or Sellars, players who drifted in and out of games, but could win a match with a moment of brilliance.

Gutierrez, statistically, didn’t deliver many goals and assists in the final third of the pitch, though the free-kicks he won were important.

But he never went missing. He gave the team shape and protected the full-back behind him. Gutierrez was a player who was more often than not missed when he wasn’t in the starting XI. His work was unappreciated by some, but not his team-mates and managers.

Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, his former Argentina team-mate, even said: “Jonas is one of the best players in the league.”

High praise indeed from a four-times Ballon d’Or winner.

Gutierrez was an important figure – on and off the field – in the club’s Championship promotion season and subsequent Premier League campaigns.

Should the 30-year-old – who has been reunited with former United manager Chris Hughton at Carrow Road – leave Newcastle on a permanent basis in the summer, he can walk out of the door with his head held high.

“The manager told me in December I was not going to play any more and told me to find myself another club.

“I don’t know why it happened and I still don’t understand what I did wrong.

“There were no rows with Alan Pardew or anything like that. He just said I needed to leave and that was that.

“I honestly don’t know why I wasn’t playing, you will have to ask the manager that. He just made his decision and that was it. Something must have happened – but I don’t know what.”

Classy.

“The manager told me in December I was not going to play any more and told me to find myself another club.

“I don’t know why it happened and I still don’t understand what I did wrong.

“There were no rows with Alan Pardew or anything like that. He just said I needed to leave and that was that.

“I honestly don’t know why I wasn’t playing, you will have to ask the manager that. He just made his decision and that was it. Something must have happened – but I don’t know what.”

Classy.

sadly all too common in football, players are quickly criticized when they want to jump ship but it goes both ways and clubs can be ruthless to even players who've done well for a club

Eh? He's told a player in December that he can leave, and he's left. Am I missing something or again is it something to shoot Pardew with for little reason? What was he meant to tell him like?

'Well actually Jonas I just think you're shit now, fack orf'.

It's been clear for over a year now why he's not playing. We've got far better players than this time last year.

It would have been worse to string him along and say he's still got a chance when 90% of the people on here agree he's  done. How much rage against Pards was there when he started a game towards the end. I don't get it either.

Would be nice if the manager had the stones to explain to a loyal player that's been here a long time and been an integral part of the squad since he signed why he's being pushed out, that's all. But anyway, internet rage and all that.

Eh? He's told a player in December that he can leave, and he's left. Am I missing something or again is it something to shoot Pardew with for little reason? What was he meant to tell him like?

It's been clear for over a year now why he's not playing. We've got far better players than this time last year.

Exactly. He's not even managed an assist in over 50 games. No idea why ffs.

Guest Roger Kint

Exactly. He's not even managed an assist in over 50 games. No idea why ffs.

:thup: