West Ham Utd vs Newcastle United Pre-match thread 23/10/10 5:30pm *Live on Sky*

joeyt

I would just go with Shola up front alone, play Routledge on the right and put Guthrie inside to attempt the attacking midfield role in rotation with Barton.

Sadly Lovenkrands isn't up to it.

It will be 5 across the middle.

Like you I think Guthrie could be the alternative to Nolan in that position.

The thought that Nolan offers more to the team than even the corner flag is madness.

I'd rather have a player who can actually move, than one who looks like he finds it difficult to lift his feet off the ground.

:lol:

WUM

:spit:

Thought you'd appreciate that O0

I would just go with Shola up front alone, play Routledge on the right and put Guthrie inside to attempt the attacking midfield role in rotation with Barton.

Sadly Lovenkrands isn't up to it.

It will be 5 across the middle.

Like you I think Guthrie could be the alternative to Nolan in that position.

Nolan offers the greater goalscoring threat though.

The thought that Nolan offers more to the team than even the corner flag is madness.

I'd rather have a player who can actually move, than one who looks like he finds it difficult to lift his feet off the ground.

WUM

If you have something to counter the argument, then please share. Can't see what Nolan offers at all. He's scored three goals this season, one a penalty, two in a game in which we were playing a Villa side that just imploded - I'd have scored that day.

Guest neesy111

WUM

If you have something to counter the argument, then please share. Can't see what Nolan offers at all. He's scored three goals this season, one a penalty, two in a game in which we were playing a Villa side that just imploded - I'd have scored that day.

I think I know what's coming now.

WUM

Fantastic. Carroll has scored 1 more (from the same imploding Villa game), yet he doesn't get the same level of football-related abuse that Nolan does.

Ironically, it's probably for his off-pitch contributions (up until last week) that Nolan was an integral part of the team. He's just an easy target for people who can't read a game (or maybe it's that they dont watch the games*) to scapegoat for our disappointing results against Blackpool and Stoke.

It's often said that the over-achieving teams are those when the sum is greater than the parts, while he was a key instrument in team spirit and squad togetherness, Nolan was a vital part to our success - it was the FM fans who failed to see this.

Nolan played well against Everton and Villa, and was praised for his performances. However he has been poor in every other game, and was rightly criticised. He was also poor for large periods of last season.

I don't see how he is a scapegoat, it's simply that a large proportion of people do not rate him. Just because you are in the minority, Stu, does not mean that everbody who disagrees with you 'cannot read a game of football'.

Krul

Simpson Campbell Colo  Enrique

Routledge Barton Tiote  Jonas

Nolan

Ameobi

Carroll has been fucking gash recently, Perch is a liability and Williamson continues to look shaky, bottom line if the right side of our defence was anywhere near as good as our left we'd have more points now. Campbell is by far the better option.

Nolan played well against Everton and Villa, and was praised for his performances. However he has been poor in every other game, and was rightly criticised. He was also poor for large periods of last season.

I don't see how he is a scapegoat, it's simply that a large proportion of people do not rate him. Just because you are in the minority, Stu, does not mean that everbody who disagrees with you 'cannot read a game of football'.

It's ok, just because you're not from the moon, does not mean that you're made of cheese.  :laugh2:

This is the guy who thought Jose Enrique wasn't premiership quality in our relegation season :lol:

Anyone who can "read a game of football" will be able to see that if we persist in playing Nolan with his poor level of fitness, we are heading for the relegation trapdoor. If your open play continually breaks down because you are carrying an unfit passenger, then your results will be all over the place as they undoubtedly have been, as you are effectively only playing with 10 men.

Hughton has obviously also come to this conclusion albeit several games too late and at last dropped him hopefully with the ultimatum to get fit or be left out.

Guest schmuck

How about Barton behind the striker and Guthrie and Tioté on the central midfield.

...is also what I'd like to see. Guthrie has something of a poor man's Andrea Pirlo about him, lots of languid, looping passes and first time knocks long and short, and with Tiote there to be his Gattuso we wouldn't have to worry so much about his lightweight stature. And Barton was always more of an attacking influence than his (off the pitch) reputation has made him out to be imo. I always thought Allardyce signed him to be our (Bolton spec) Kevin Nolan, ironically 

Guest Stephen927

Think it's time to play Ameobi & Carroll together again. I'd maybe even tempted to play Ryan Taylor right-midfield just so we have someone capable of putting in a good cross.

next 2 matches are both 6 pointers. Worryingly we have had a lot of these and not done so well, what is going to happen when we play the better teams

Play the two big lads up front and R Taylor on the right and we might be in business.

..............................Krul

Simpson........Colo........Sol.........Enrique

R Taylor........Tiote........Barton.....Jonas

....................Ameobi.....Carroll

Come on Chris, you know it makes sense!