6000 idiots wanted

Rob W

With Rooney's latest rise the "Times" reckons that the first 6000 through the turnstiles for PL  matches at  Old Trafford will be shoveling their cash straight into his pocket

For the next 5 years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

With Rooney's latest rise the "Times" reckons that the first 6000 through the turnstiles for PL  matches at  Old Trafford will be shoveling their cash straight into his pocket

For the next 5 years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well they have paid to watch football, Rooney is the best player in that team, and one of the best in the world.

The papers seem to have got their knickers in a twist about this, but 200K a week is not outlandish, given Rooney's ability and the amount that other top players are being paid. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's the market rate.

The way Rooney and his agent tried to get a better contract by threatening to leave is no more than what goes on in every top club. The only difference is that the Manager chose to make things public, and put the player on the spot. It was a smart move, and it came off, but it doesn't make Rooney the villain that some papers are making him out to be.

The bigger problem in the game - and the one which the papers would be better off campaigning about - is how the lop-sided way in which the money is distributed is distorting the competition. I don't think other sports are having to face quite this problem. UEFA are trying to sort out the problem of sugardaddies subsidising clubs, but there still needs to be a more equal distribution of TV money. The gap in income between the Champions League clubs and the Premiership, and between the Premiership and the Championship, are both too great. It's why we have the odd spectacle of the game being awash with money, yet with more and more clubs in danger of bankruptcy.

The way Rooney and his agent tried to get a better contract by threatening to leave is no more than what goes on in every top club any contract negotiation.

I just renegotiated my deal where I work. Naturally I pointed out how much it would cost to replace me if I had to look elsewhere to get the money I wanted.

But can you imagine sitting there as owners and seeing all those seats going just to pay ONE player.........................     madness

6,000 Out of 76,000? What's that, 8%, considering he's by far their best player its nothing.

I wonder how much seat % we were paying Owen for being a total waste of space...£125k, 50k seats...probably about the same.

But can you imagine sitting there as owners and seeing all those seats going just to pay ONE player.........................     madness

6,000 Out of 76,000? What's that, 8%, considering he's by far their best player its nothing.

I wonder how much seat % we were paying Owen for being a total waste of space...£125k, 50k seats...probably about the same.

but then all the other players will want more...........................        its the economics of the madhouse

but then all the other players will want more...........................        its the economics of the madhouse

Unfortunately for Manu the only two other players over the past decade whose talent and branding could demand that kind of cash have been sold to Madrid both times.

Manu made the right decision with Rooney, anything else would have been disastrous.