This season's SJP atmosphere

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's a fair point, home crowds in general are quiet.

I fully admit, I was out of my seat once yesterday and that was for a piss. Crowd and team performance were flat as a fart.

Even the singing section has its disadvantages TBH, when I'm there I'm a bit embarrassed by how quickly they turn on the team when they're not playing well.

I think it's just what football grounds are like now though... I've been to a lot of away games in the last couple of seasons and I've never really come across a home support that is consistently noisy and supportive, I don't think it exists.

Fans go to see something to excite them, if it happens they'll cheer and if not they won't.

It's not a one way thing though. It's sad that we don't feel able to get behind the team as a collective when "oh it's only Blackburn".

I agree Wullie. Having said that, I'm as much to blame. At away games I get right into things, but at home I just feel a bit awkward and embaressed to join in or start anything. Dont know what it is. It all feels a bit flat even if a song is going.

The thing is though, away fans are always crap at St James too. We're way noisier when we go away than any fans to go to St James, so either we're just better or St James isn't conducive to a good atmosphere of any sort.

Even the singing section has its disadvantages TBH, when I'm there I'm a bit embarrassed by how quickly they turn on the team when they're not playing well.

I think it's just what football grounds are like now though... I've been to a lot of away games in the last couple of seasons and I've never really come across a home support that is consistently noisy and supportive, I don't think it exists.

Fans go to see something to excite them, if it happens they'll cheer and if not they won't.

It's not a one way thing though. It's sad that we don't feel able to get behind the team as a collective when "oh it's only Blackburn".

I don't agree with it, I would personally sing throughout no matter what. I'm just trying to put my finger on the majority attitude.

We would have a lot more points on the board if we made the atmosphere like Sunderland every week, but it's not realistically going to happen is it?

I don't agree with it, I would personally sing throughout no matter what. I'm just trying to put my finger on the majority attitude.

We would have a lot more points on the board if we made the atmosphere like Sunderland every week, but it's not realistically going to happen is it?

Not like sunderland no, but there's no reason we can't try and intimidate the opposition is there? Singing's only a small part of what makes a good atmosphere. The thing that sparks SJP into life more than anything these days is a refereeing injustice or an opposition player being a cunt which gets folks' backs up.

Have you been to the Britannia Stadium?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

We're more eager and boo and get on the team's back then support them these days. Cringe worthy.

don't know like, i've heard lots of booing at other games this season when the home team hasn't won.

Never known it from our lot though until recent years. People around me in the Gallowgate end having a right go at Tioté, totally forgetting that was the only mistake he's had for us. Giving him dog's abuse because he doesn't pass the ball forward.

Not like sunderland no, but there's no reason we can't try and intimidate the opposition is there? Singing's only a small part of what makes a good atmosphere. The thing that sparks SJP into life more than anything these days is a refereeing injustice or an opposition player being a cunt which gets folks' backs up.

Have you been to the Britannia Stadium?

I know, I want us to do it, I just don't think it will happen unless we have a couple of seasons of real success and a couple of flair players to really excite.

I haven't been to the Brittania.

Wullie your spot on and we were saying the same thing in the pub after the game yesterday,  the two wins have come on the back of SJP being like a bearpit roaring on the players and getting stuck into the opposition,  we wanted revenge on Villa and obviously the mackem game always gets the crowd up.  The other home games have seen the moaners and groaners heard with fans getting on the backs of players when passes go astray etc.  Teams like Wigan and Blackpool would get blown away with a Sunderland type atmosphere in my opinion and if we had the angry "bearpit" every week i doubt we'd see many defeats.

I'm still shocked that the team got booed off yesterday, yes we didn't win but you couldn't fault the desire, effort and application of the players,  we just lacked the bit of guile, luck, skill needed to break down well marshalled defence.

All seater stadia have killed off the home atmosphere at almost any ground you visit in the Premier League. Stokes aren't even that impressive, it's just so many sets of home fans are so fucking shit it makes them look amazing. It's the same story everywhere, fans will be up for the bigger games.

The mackem game is the first game for years where I've lost my voice. It was a really special atmosphere.

Some away games are excellent although even some of the

are pretty flat. Man City was fairly tepid.

Guest firetotheworks

I was in the Milburn for the first and hopefully last time ever on Saturday, and it was nothing short of pathetic. The people there are there purely to view and boo imo.

Atmosphere would be some what better if the club hadn't encouraged the vast majority of people who want to create an atmosphere to sit/stand in the furthest point from the pitch. Obviously moving people round would be a nightmare and won't happen.

I was in the Milburn for the first and hopefully last time ever on Saturday, and it was nothing short of pathetic. The people there are there purely to view and boo imo.

There's some c*nts in there for sure, but like any part of the ground its not all bad. Good view of the game and the catering is bordering on the acceptable but yeah some of the fans  ffs. Whenever I come up I go for the best place I can get a seat and its normally the Milburn, but hey when I'm there I shout and fart like any true fan - it can get a bit lonely...

Guest firetotheworks

There's some c*nts in there for sure, but like any part of the ground its not all bad. Good view of the game and the catering is bordering on the acceptable but yeah some of the fans  ffs. Whenever I come up I go for the best place I can get a seat and its normally the Milburn, but hey when I'm there I shout and fart like any true fan - it can get a bit lonely...

Aye, I felt like a total dick like. People were giving funny looks when I was swearing. I was near the family bit tbf.

Guest neesy111

The club has lost too many of the old supporters who would back the team through thick and thin.  These have been replaced by more families going (which is a plus) and more customers tbh.

I've said this for awhile but football isn't a working class game anymore due to the costs involved, it's probably going to be in the future more middle class than rugby tbh.  This is one area in which in general is going to affect football badly.

Guest neesy111

Aye, I felt like a total dick like. People were giving funny looks when I was swearing. I was near the family bit tbf.

I do find it funny people going to football matches and are shocked at the swearing that happens.  It's a football for crying out loud, if you don't like it then piss off to the shitty theatre.

The club has lost too many of the old supporters who would back the team through thick and thin.  These have been replaced by more families going (which is a plus) and more customers tbh.

I've said this for awhile but football isn't a working class game anymore due to the costs involved, it's probably going to be in the future more middle class than rugby tbh.  This is one area in which in general is going to affect football badly.

The remaining oldies are some of the worst for moaning mind.

I got a cracking photograph from the 08/09 season. We were playing West Ham at home and a bloke five rows in front of me was doing the crossword in the paper whilst the game was in full flow.

I got a cracking photograph from the 08/09 season. We were playing West Ham at home and a bloke five rows in front of me was doing the crossword in the paper whilst the game was in full flow.

he was looking at 1 down, quite prophetic in a way.