Sournes/Souness

Thespence

Parker was a good signing, just went a bit sour in his final 6 months or so at the club. His decline in our colours can be blamed partially on his glandular fever he had and partially on Roeder trying to play him as our 'driving force' from midfield, which didn't really work considering what he was surrounded with.

Agree he was a beast in his first season  :sadnod:  He had definitely lost something in season 2 (glandular fever is a bitch) and wasn't up to playing that more attacking role.

From what I heard he didn't want to leave here but Sam wanted to bring in Barton and Parker was peddled. I freely admit that at the time I thought that replacing Parker with Barton was a great move.

Again with the 'doomed' - since when was 1 point off survival doomed?

Take away Kinnear's illness and the two change on manager in the dressing room (Hughton then Shearer), and we'd have found that extra point IMO.

In terms of momentum and moral. I felt we were almost certain to go down with 8 games to go. Same way you could be doomed at the start of a season with a rubbish squad and manager, it doesn't mean mathematically certain.

The Dalglish era was a strange one. On paper you could argue his appointment was one of if not the worst in the club's history given how he took a team that had finished 2nd to 13th and of course dismantling what was regarded then as a top side in selling the likes of Ginola and Sir Les and bringing in veterens like Rush and Barnes. However, the bare statistics don't tell the whole story or even come close. Dalglish arrived at Newcastle at a time when the club and indeed game were going through a major transition. From Ltd company to PLC, from world record signings to recouping money, from free flowing care free football to technical and thought out football (Arsene Wenger's arival for example), and of course, the biggest issue as far as the club itself was concerned and the whole ethos of NUFC at that time - replacing the "messiah", King Kev himself.

Me, I thought Dalglish wasn't to blame for our slide, looking back now, I think it was inevitable given our rapid progress in the years prior to his appointment and the way the game itself was changing, a game Dalglish skills wise was ill equipped to master.

Whenever I assess a manager's place in the club's history, I look at legacy left. Dalglish restored the reserves and gave Sir Bobby several top players in which to build a side around, i.e. Given, Speed and Nobby in particular. When Souness left, he left us with Luque, Owen, Boumsong, Faye, Emre, Parker and Babayaro - none of whom are at the club today which says it all. We made a huge loss on that lot and collectively they gave this club nothing but trouble.

Dalglish did a poor job here and wasn't the best manager skills wise but he left us with something to work with. Souness destroyed everything, Sir Bobby's team, and on top of that, left nothing for his successor(s) to work with.

By the time Sir Bobby came here, 14 or so months after Dalglish's departure, he was left a reserve and academy set up, Shay Given, Dabizas, Hughes, Speed, Nobby and a certain mackem destroyer who was just coming through the ranks, the ranks Dalglish helped restore.

In terms of managerial appointments, I would regard Gullit, Souness, Big Sam and Joe Kinnear as worse appointments.

And speaking of Kinnear...

I completely forgot about him, forget about Souness being the worst appointment in the club's history, Kinnear is your man.

Good post

As always very good post... I wish I can read something meaningful like this everyday......

From NUFC.com -

2005 Wigan Athletic (a)

0-1 (0-0)

Carling Cup 4th Round

Connolly(88pen)

Our immediate post match summary of this mess was: Diabolical, deplorable, dreadful, shocking, pitiful, pathetic, embarrassing, unbelievable, dismal, feeble, useless, awful, appalling, abysmal, shameful, astonishing, staggering, atrocious, inexcusable.

However, words simply could not describe the depths to which United fell at the JJB Stadium.

Quite simply, the 1-0 scoreline flattered us and if we'd been 4-0 down by half-time we couldn't have complained after a first half of staggering ineptitude and gutlessness.

Wigan's second string (with nine changes from their previous league outing) outclassed the strongest XI we could muster to an alarming degree. At one stage the corner count was 11-0 in favour of the Latics.

This was the beginning of the end for Graeme Souness, with his cause hardly helped by the abuse directed at chairman Freddy Shepherd in the JJB car park by disgruntled Magpies.

NUFC.com match report

Anyone remember this shambles?

I watched it on Sky. launching long balls to Luque  :lol: and expecting him to challenge for headers  :lol:

All the while Wigans second string players passed us off the park.  :-[

From NUFC.com -

2005 Wigan Athletic (a)

0-1 (0-0)

Carling Cup 4th Round

Connolly(88pen)

Our immediate post match summary of this mess was: Diabolical, deplorable, dreadful, shocking, pitiful, pathetic, embarrassing, unbelievable, dismal, feeble, useless, awful, appalling, abysmal, shameful, astonishing, staggering, atrocious, inexcusable.

However, words simply could not describe the depths to which United fell at the JJB Stadium.

Quite simply, the 1-0 scoreline flattered us and if we'd been 4-0 down by half-time we couldn't have complained after a first half of staggering ineptitude and gutlessness.

Wigan's second string (with nine changes from their previous league outing) outclassed the strongest XI we could muster to an alarming degree. At one stage the corner count was 11-0 in favour of the Latics.

This was the beginning of the end for Graeme Souness, with his cause hardly helped by the abuse directed at chairman Freddy Shepherd in the JJB car park by disgruntled Magpies.

NUFC.com match report

Anyone remember this shambles?

I watched it on Sky. launching long balls to Luque  :lol: and expecting him to challenge for headers  :lol:

All the while Wigans second string players passed us off the park.  :-[

I remember it well. We were completely outplayed.

Regardless of his ability to fit into our side it was quite obvious that Luque wasn't even close to being fit enough to play, pretty sure it was his first game back after doing his hamstring. Souness had a habit of putting players on the park before they were ready as I recall.

• 5 months later...
Guest BooBoo

I like Souness as a pundit too. Yet there's always a little bell ringing when I think "hmm this fella actually knows what he's talking about" and I remember nights like the league cup game at Wigan.

Bloke can talk the talk, but can't even crawl let alone walk the walk.

I like Souness as a pundit too. Yet there's always a little bell ringing when I think "hmm this fella actually knows what he's talking about" and I remember nights like the league cup game at Wigan.

Bloke can talk the talk, but can't even crawl let alone walk the walk.

Yep same. Best pundit on the box though imo.

The guy's a complete slave to his own insecurities, but a very good pundit. Only Gullit speaks more sense on Sky, funnily enough.

Knowing the game inside out and motivating footballers to translate this to the field are two completely different things, though. He makes David Brent look like a superb leader of men.

I hate it when you talk about wingers. Can anyone show me a team which has got wingers that wins things?

There's no such thing as a winger anymore. There are hard-working wide players. You can't say Ryan Giggs is a winger. In football now you don't have wingers.

:lol:

I would say you don't really get as many wingers in a 442 anymore, you have the hard working wide players like Barton, Jonas, Larsson etc, or you have the wide forwards (slightly less defensive wingers than the tradition) in a three up top formation

Park on the left is the most typical example of a hardworking wide player on the left you can get.

Granted they have Nani or Valencia on the right, but they are Man Utd.

Didn't know this

''managed to court controversy with local issues – nearly sparking a riot after placing a large Galatasaray flag into the centre circle of the pitch of arch rivals Fenerbahçe after Galatasaray had beaten them in the Turkish Cup final on 24 April 1996. The iconic image of the victor planting the flag drew comparisons with Turkish hero Ulubatli Hasan, who was killed as he planted the Ottoman flag at the end of the Siege of Constantinople. This earned Souness the nickname 'Ulubatlı Souness''

So because the 2nd best team in Europe play with two natural wingers, this means it's not a recipe for success?

Second best team in Europe?  CL finalists, yes, but Real Madrid are the second best team in Europe.

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/new-straits-times/mi_8016/is_20050107/souness-abuses-system/ai_n44285337/

"In my opinion, systems are for the school teachers in professional football," said the Newcastle boss. "Right now this system, given the personnel we have here, is suiting us. I am a four- four-two man but I am not big on systems or tactics. I am big on great players working their socks off.

"If you have that you don't need to say too much to them. The game is played at such a pace that the players can see danger coming if they haven't got the ball and are in the right place at the right time.

"When they have the ball they can see an opening or read a situation that a lesser player doesn't and they pass it into that area or they run into that area. That is what makes them top players."

Wow. :lol: