Sol Campbell

TRon

Campbell isn't captain material. Anyone remember that awful game he had against West Ham circa 2005ish when he went off at half time, disappeared from the stadium and the face of the earth for a few days?

Campbell isn't captain material. Anyone remember that awful game he had against West Ham circa 2005ish when he went off at half time, disappeared from the stadium and the face of the earth for a few days?

The game he got tortured by Bobby Zamora :lol:

He did captain England 3 times. So the "not captain material" line wears thin.

And even that "captain material" line is liable to prejudice and discrimination because people may not think black players in general are captain material.

I know a lot of people like to believe there's no racial discrimination in our sports or businesses.

Maybe in the 3 times they gave him the chance they decided he wasn't captain material.

If it was a race thing why did they bother giving him the armband once? Let alone 3 times? Are they the racist version of people who only smoke sociably?

He's not captain material but they let him captain the side on three separate occasions? How does that even make sense?

But the fact he did captain the side 3 times means there wasn't any racism anyway?

I hope you see how it's very easy to use an excuse at any turn.

If Jonathan Woodgate had managed 73 caps, i'm certain he would've captained England more than 3 times and wouldn't have been overlooked in favour of Michael fucking Owen.

So if something doesn't work the first time you try it you won't give it another go or two?

And even that "captain material" line is liable to prejudice and discrimination because people may not think black players in general are captain material.

I know a lot of people like to believe there's no racial discrimination in our sports or businesses.

Maybe in the 3 times they gave him the chance they decided he wasn't captain material.

If it was a race thing why did they bother giving him the armband once? Let alone 3 times? Are they the racist version of people who only smoke sociably?

He's not captain material but they let him captain the side on three separate occasions? How does that even make sense?

But the fact he did captain the side 3 times means there wasn't any racism anyway?

If Jonathan Woodgate had managed 73 caps, i'm certain he would've captained England more than 3 times and wouldn't have been overlooked in favour of Michael fucking Owen.

:lol:

Aye, right. A player with a criminal record and a history of smashing glasses over his head in Middlesbrough would get the nod to captain England over (rightly or wrongly) one of the first names on the teamsheet with a squeaky-clean image.

You're surpassing yourself big time in this thread.

If you want to look for excuses you'll find them.

His 3 England captain caps is just as atrong ammunition for him indeed being captain material as him not. As he was enough material to have the armband more than once for 2 managers I believe.

2 of the 3 English centre backs with over 60 caps but less than 8 captain caps are black.  That's only 2 examples but it's certainly suspicious.

I find people are too quick to dismiss the notion that black players might get discriminated against in English football. As if there's not monkey noises discrimination doesn't exist.

There's certainly no way Owen should've been captain ahead of Campbell and I'm open to the possibility that his race negatively affected his chances.

If Jonathan Woodgate had managed 73 caps, i'm certain he would've captained England more than 3 times and wouldn't have been overlooked in favour of Michael f***ing Owen.

Aye, right. A player with a criminal record and a history of smashing glasses over his head in Middlesbrough would get the nod to captain England over (rightly or wrongly) one of the first names on the teamsheet with a squeaky-clean image.

because Steven Gerrard, Tony Adams and John Terry are squeaky clean.

His 3 England captain caps is just as atrong ammunition for him indeed being captain material as him not. As he was enough material to have the armband more than once for 2 managers I believe.

2 of the 3 English centre backs with over 60 caps but less than 8 captain caps are black.  That's only 2 examples but it's certainly suspicious.

I find people are too quick to dismiss the notion that black players might get discriminated against in English football. As if there's not monkey noises discrimination doesn't exist.

There's certainly no way Owen should've been captain ahead of Campbell and I'm open to the possibility that his race negatively affected his chances.

Sol Campbell thread for a start. Who was discriminated against so much he got how many England caps again?

Black and mixed race/dual heritage are overrepresented (as a population percentage) in terms of the current England Playing Squad.  Hardly corroborative to discrimination.

If there is a debate about racial discrimination Sol Campbell is not a part of it.

If the FA decides who can be manager and they were all massive racists why did Campbell ever get the gig?

Maybe I should state my stance more clearly. I believe it's possible black people within English football are getting discriminated against when it comes to positions of power or authority.  E.g. being black British is a factor that contributes negatively in their prospects of becoming managers or England captain. Stereotyped as not captain material for example.

They are just not seen in that light. Same way that fans/managers think black midfielders that can barely defend or tackle get played as holding midfielders. I know race plays a factor in people's perceptions.

IMO if Sol Campbell is exactly the same but white, he has at least double the captain caps.  Every other white CB of his pedigree has that at least. Not the 10 year bollocks. 

Maybe I should state my stance more clearly. I believe it's possible black people within English football are getting discriminated against when it comes to positions of power or authority.  E.g. being black British is a factor that contributes negatively in their prospects of becoming managers or England captain. Stereotyped as not captain material for example.

They are just not seen in that light. Same way that fans/managers think black midfielders that can barely defend or tackle get played as holding midfielders. I know race plays a factor in people's perceptions.

IMO if Sol Campbell is exactly the same but white, he has at least double the captain caps.  Every other white CB of his pedigree has that at least. Not the 10 year bollocks. 

Sorry, what?  ???

If the FA decides who can be manager and they were all massive racists why did Campbell ever get the gig?

You don't have to be a massive racist to discriminate against someone because of race. People have conscious and unconscious bias. I work for an organisation where women and minorities are under represented and we can admit there's probably some type of cultural, gender, ethnic bias that contributes to that. 

There's just this denial of the possibility that is ludicrous.

It's fine Cajun, if you don't understand continue with your day. 

But you're talking absolute bollocks?

Please explain why Campbell got 3 caps even though black people aren't allowed to captain the national side? Were the whitehoods away on a BNP rally at the time so the liberals snuck him the armband?

If Jonathan Woodgate had managed 73 caps, i'm certain he would've captained England more than 3 times and wouldn't have been overlooked in favour of Michael f***ing Owen.

because Steven Gerrard, Tony Adams and John Terry are squeaky clean.

It does seem ridiculous, like. Picking players who are both natural leaders and guaranteed starters to be captain. Wise up.

It's nowt to do with race, more to do with managers wanting to keep star players happy. It's wrong but that's what happened.

Campbell showed why he wasn't international captain material with his behaviour with Arsenal at WHU and the way he walked out on Notts County. A real leader.

He's an unbalanced c***.

He certainly was when he played for us, the fat knacker.

That Liverpool (possibly Chelsea, or both) game when the ball went over his head a few times and he looked like he was trapped in quicksand trying to turn. :scared: