Sol Campbell

TRon

Guest BooBoo

Fat useless bastard would be a kind way of describing his season of nothingness at NUFC.

In his pomp, he was colossal but hopefully he represents the very end of the over the hill mercenaries we'll see at the club.

• 1 year later...

He should have been picked as captain more but it wasn't down to race or colour of his skin, it was down to managers wanting to keep the likes of Owen high in confidence.

He probably should have been captain more, but the reason he wasn't captain much was:

1. Early in his career there were good established leaders like Adams, Platt, Shearer.

2. Soon after Shearer retired Sven became manager and was always a manager drawn to the top glamourous players like Beckham and Owen.

3. Once  Beckham retired, Campbell was third best centre back.

I've come to the conclusion, that you won't find a CB as good as Campbell for so long, with less England captain caps that is white.

It's certainly suspicious that between he and Ferdinand there are only 10 captain caps. The closest two in comparison (in caps) have almost twice the captain caps.

I've come to the conclusion, that you won't find a CB as good as Campbell for so long, with less England captain caps that is white.

It's certainly suspicious that between he and Ferdinand there are only 10 captain caps. The closest two in comparison (in caps) have almost twice the captain caps.

This, while I agree with a lot, he didn't deserve to be captain for 10 years, his lack of captaincy for long does merit closer attention

He did captain England 3 times. So the "not captain material" line wears thin.

And even that "captain material" line is liable to prejudice and discrimination because people may not think black players in general are captain material.

I know a lot of people like to believe there's no racial discrimination in our sports or businesses.

And even that "captain material" line is liable to prejudice and discrimination because people may not think black players in general are captain material.

I know a lot of people like to believe there's no racial discrimination in our sports or businesses.

Maybe in the 3 times they gave him the chance they decided he wasn't captain material.

If it was a race thing why did they bother giving him the armband once? Let alone 3 times? Are they the racist version of people who only smoke sociably?

It's outlandish to suggest it was anything to do with race that he wasn't captain, I'm sure he was to some extent, capable of being a captain but there were others MORE capable of doing so. Why should he be captain over the likes of Shearer? Give me a break, just wants to not be forgotten. Cry me a fucking river.

Guest Roger Kint

This needs to stop. You'll find very few people in football who speak about Sol Campbell like he was captain material. Takes a special kind of idiot to go along with this racial nonsense.

This, he was on the radio yesterday and the interviewer said to him that he understood why he wasnt deserving of the captaincy as in his own words in the book actively avoided teammates(even requested a single room on trips) and preferred to spend all time off pitch alone. Surely an international captain needs to keep the squad together and be available for players at all times as well as be a leader on the pitch. Sounds like the polar opposite to me so can see why he was overlooked for most the time.

Maybe in the 3 times they gave him the chance they decided he wasn't captain material.

If it was a race thing why did they bother giving him the armband once? Let alone 3 times? Are they the racist version of people who only smoke sociably?

He's not captain material but they let him captain the side on three separate occasions? How does that even make sense?

But the fact he did captain the side 3 times means there wasn't any racism anyway?

I hope you see how it's very easy to use an excuse at any turn.

If Jonathan Woodgate had managed 73 caps, i'm certain he would've captained England more than 3 times and wouldn't have been overlooked in favour of Michael fucking Owen.