"Beardsley was best player of KK’s nearly men" - Tino

Tooj

Guest firetotheworks

I think our region does, but it doesn't seem to be nurtured in the way that it was. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I remember the year above me at school won the league, the national cup and the european cup and 4 or 5 players went on to be professionals, and I think one or two played for England, they were both fucking unreal and they were all in one year of one school. They're all nowhere now, you'd think that the talent would have been handled better than that.

Which region does, though? The fact Rooney's considered the most technically refined English player of his generation speaks volumes.

Not one particular reason does anymore, but my point was referring the North East. The calibre of players that was produced back then was fantastic, yet we haven't produced a world class player since Shearer. Something has to be wrong - I suppose you could say the same about Scotland too.

We were lucky to have Shearer, Waddle, Gascoigne and Beardsley all from the same region.  To keep producing the same quantity of top class players would be mental.  How many other regions in the world, the same size as the NE, have produced top player upon player.

Guest firetotheworks

I remember going to England vs Brazil U15s when I was about 10 and the team had Michael Owen, Wes Brown and a couple of others in, and yet the player that was seen as being the next big thing was a lad from up here called Jamie Burt. He was mint in that match, so I dunno where he went from there, but it obviously wasn't onwards and upwards.

I remember going to England vs Brazil U15s when I was about 10 and the team had Michael Owen, Wes Brown and a couple of others in, and yet the player that was seen as being the next big thing was a lad from up here called Jamie Burt. He was mint in that match, so I dunno where he went from there, but it obviously wasn't onwards and upwards.

I'm sure I read somewhere he had drug problems.

Heroin.

:nods:

Am I remembering right that his brother went to prison for dealing?

Guest firetotheworks

:kasper: f***ing hell, I had no idea that he died like.

EDIT: Ah reet, that's a different person. Still though, shocking.

Guest firetotheworks

The chasm between us and what's needed is unbelievable like. I remember Mark Rassmussen at my school wasn't allowed to play on the yard in case he got injured, but every now and again he would and he was just fucking unbelievable. David Borley too, and they never got to where you'd have thought. I've heard stories about Walker bringing on Shola in the last 10 minutes of matches if they were behind and he'd just walk past the opposition and score as well. Basically, if Shola's doing against us mere mortals then we're all absolutely shit footballers tbh. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I think I'm the football fan equivalent of being born with a silver spoon in my mouth, starting supporting Newcastle when Beardsley and Lee were in midfield. To have one player of that quality again would be an achievement.

The lad who died was also a promising footballer, John Courtney. Supposedly a pretty close friend of Cheryl Tweedy. Died after taking Heroine and the picture of him dead with the syringe in his hand was released by his family to warn others  of drugs abuse. Pretty horrible picture.

The lad who died was also a promising footballer, John Courtney. Supposedly a pretty close friend of Cheryl Tweedy. Died after taking Heroine and the picture of him dead with the syringe in his hand was released by his family to warn others  of drugs abuse. Pretty horrible picture.

The last picture of JC:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/12/article-0-027F16490000044D-294_468x365.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1076837/The-horrific-photo-dead-friend-Cheryl-Cole-drugs-forever.html

We were lucky to have Shearer, Waddle, Gascoigne and Beardsley all from the same region.  To keep producing the same quantity of top class players would be mental.  How many other regions in the world, the same size as the NE, have produced top player upon player.

The Netherlands.

The Netherlands.

The population of the Netherlands is a fair bit bigger than the NE, tbf.