Alan Pardew

JH

The Routledge one is very interesting. I'm sure Wayne did a piece in one of the paper's a month or so ago saying that he didn't ask to leave and would be happy to come back and fight for his place. If that really is the case then Pardew must not have fancied him at all, yet I can't think of a game since he left that he would not have at least been useful as a sub towards the end. Given the way things have turned out he could well have started 1/2-2/3 of them. Think letting him go on loan was definitely the wrong call.

This club has been 'riddled' with injuries for as long as I can remember.

This "bad luck with injuries" excuse is a load of s****. We need a complete clear-out of the medical and physio staff.

On that we agree. All those injuries are no coincidence. We also  fail to advance in any tournament, which should reduce the the probability of fatigue and injuries accordingly.  Still we're fucked.    The debate on Carroll's alcohol consumption is imo a proof of our medical team not doing what they're supposed to do. Excessive drinking should not be allowed during season.

Injuries are part and parcel of football at this level, no club has no injuries. I don't think we've actually had that many muscle injuries this season.

That is true, but clubs can do much to prevent injuries and improve players recovery after matches (correct kind of food etc), which again will reduce the probability of injuries. 

Ian: Letting Roultledge go now seems like an idiotic decision. But they probably based this based decision on players they expected have back from injury: Gosling,  HBA was expected to feature in some part of the season, Ireland was estimated to be fit in February. None of those predictions came through. Gosling suffered a set back, Ireland caught a thigh injury (did he start to train too early?`) and HBA's progress stopped. Could those failings have something to do with the competence of the medical team. If they tell Pards that we will have plenty of players back soon, he's likely to get rid of dead meat, eg Routledge.. And to make things even worse, he got injuries on Barton and Shola.. This is of course just pure speculation. But still I have this nagging feeling that some of it is true, and that our medical team is mediocre, at best.

The Routledge one is very interesting. I'm sure Wayne did a piece in one of the paper's a month or so ago saying that he didn't ask to leave and would be happy to come back and fight for his place. If that really is the case then Pardew must not have fancied him at all, yet I can't think of a game since he left that he would not have at least been useful as a sub towards the end. Given the way things have turned out he could well have started 1/2-2/3 of them. Think letting him go on loan was definitely the wrong call.

Pardew pretty much said that he did not see Routledge as part of his longterm plans for NUFC so it was better for him to play elsewhere.  I think it might have been in the interview he did with Radio Newcastle.

For me, the overriding issue was that our squad was already too small. Gosling and Ireland were injured at the time, maybe HBA as well (I can't remember) - it was obvious that we should be looking to increase the size of the squad not reduce it.

I understand the point about Routledge not being in Pardew's plans as well (not that I understand why), but even so I think the short-term need to survive is more important than the possible future sale of a player for what will probably be a pretty small fee.

His ability was very much underrated as well - he was better than he was given credit for. He'd have been perfect to try and run out the Spurs game, and we could have really used him in the second half against Everton too.

Tbb, Routledge is utter useless in PL. He tried with several clubs, and failed miserably each time. A wide man who cannot cross? Come on! But as Ian mentioned, our squad is thin. He got no end product, but his pace could have caused some problems for Stoke.

In fairness when Routledge went I would have thought Pardew's though process involved Barton being first choice, then options of Ireland, R Taylor, Gosling and Guthrie to play out there. Ryan Taylor actually looked alright on the right in the one game he's featured until he was sent off and Routledge has been nothing short of awful for us in the Premier League.

But yeah, I think we all know that the squad needs a hell of a lot more depth.

You seem to forget that a wide man who can't cross is one of the first names on our teamsheet.

That is correct. But still he got  more assists than Routledge. And he gives Enrique a lot of help in defense, and as creates free kicks in good positions, which we have converted into goals.. In other words, he brings more to the game than Routledge, who besides his speed offers little.

In fairness when Routledge went I would have thought Pardew's though process involved Barton being first choice, then options of Ireland, R Taylor, Gosling and Guthrie to play out there. Ryan Taylor actually looked alright on the right in the one game he's featured until he was sent off and Routledge has been nothing short of awful for us in the Premier League.

Exactly. Who could have predicted that ajj those players would end up injured or suspended.

Except three of those four were injured at the time that Routledge went to QPR.

But the medical team expected them to be back fairly soon...?

Taylor didn't start until 6 games after Routledge left, Gosling suffered an injury setback around the time of Routledge leaving and Ireland was still "a few weeks from fitness" when he signed a week a and a half after Routledge's departure.

You seem to forget that a wide man who can't cross is one of the first names on our teamsheet.

Checking some stats from the weekend and only one of our 22 crosses into the box was successful.

Sol Campbell made 6 clearances in the game, none of them successful.

Boom!!

Beg your pardon, Campbell made 7 unsuccessful clearances, not 6.  :razz: