Alan Pardew

JH

Guest neesy111

Aaron Hughes was a bloody good player to be honest..

One of the worst mistakes this club has ever done selling him for 1M.

Guest neesy111

Bellamy, Hughes, Kluivert and Robert gone in the same summer for £5m. :lol:

Bellamy and Robert placed for 28M with Owen and Luque.  :(

The hoofball is part of the fast, front-foot football thing, putting defenders under constant physical pressure and being relentless with it, hoping for breaks. It's not really difficult to ask your keeper to go with a shorter option more often than not, Pards hasn't changed that, it's clearly tactical.

While I still think he was too negative tonight, he has some justification, a draw would have been a very good result. Contrary to what people say however, we do have a first team that are very capable of playing good football and going toe-to-toe with big teams, considering 8 of tonight's 11 starters had long term roles in previous teams that played much better football than we currently do.

We played in the Champions League with Aaron Hughes (sometimes Andy Griffin) and Andy O'Brien and still produced some bloody good stuff. There's no excuse for us right now, you can carry one or two poor footballers in defence, when your other 8 have genuine and proven footballing talent.

the hoof ball, when it happens is more due to lack of movement, cabaye seems fucked, jonas's movement is crap (wouldn't be too fussed if he were replaced in the summer if we have to play a middle 4), tiote wont move forward. if any of the defenders get the ball on the deck there are no options.

He was a useful defender (and midfielder) but i wouldn't say he was bloody good in terms technique.

He was a very good defender across the whole back 4.  Certainly a better defender and better technically than Simpson and Williamson by some considerable distance.

Robert was finished although that might have been mental as well as physical.

Robert had another season in him.

Not at the level he had been previous. He was slowly waning IIRC and I say that as one of his biggest fans.

RE: Hughes didn't he want to leave for first team football? Fee was ridic. though, a true pro.

He was a useful defender (and midfielder) but i wouldn't say he was bloody good in terms technique.

Somewhat true. He looks like Alessandro Nesta on his classiest day compared to 'Willo' though.

Guest neesy111

He was a very good defender across the whole back 4.  Certainly a better defender and better technically than Simpson and Williamson by some considerable distance.

Never ever had a problem with Aaron Hughes when he played.  Was awesome for Fulham under Woy.

The hoofball is part of the fast, front-foot football thing, putting defenders under constant physical pressure and being relentless with it, hoping for breaks. It's not really difficult to ask your keeper to go with a shorter option more often than not, Pards hasn't changed that, it's clearly tactical.

While I still think he was too negative tonight, he has some justification, a draw would have been a very good result. Contrary to what people say however, we do have a first team that are very capable of playing good football and going toe-to-toe with big teams, considering 8 of tonight's 11 starters had long term roles in previous teams that played much better football than we currently do.

We played in the Champions League with Aaron Hughes (sometimes Andy Griffin) and Andy O'Brien and still produced some bloody good stuff. There's no excuse for us right now, you can carry one or two poor footballers in defence, when your other 8 have genuine and proven footballing talent.

the hoof ball, when it happens is more due to lack of movement, cabaye seems f***ed, jonas's movement is crap (wouldn't be too fussed if he were replaced in the summer if we have to play a middle 4), tiote wont move forward. if any of the defenders get the ball on the deck there are no options.

It all starts from the back, aka Krul and that's not been changed. His intention is to only ever punt it, he very rarely even looks for a defender, that's as clear sign as any to me that it's instructional. I doubt they're even told to move off the ball to be honest, we were meant to be working on it in the summer but I can't see any encouragement to do it, when ever HBA's on the ball for example, the majority just stand and watch.

the hoof ball, when it happens is more due to lack of movement, cabaye seems f***ed, jonas's movement is crap (wouldn't be too fussed if he were replaced in the summer if we have to play a middle 4), tiote wont move forward. if any of the defenders get the ball on the deck there are no options.

Jonas was our 2nd best defender tonight, I agree with our lack of movement though and I'm trying to get my head around it because I don't blame the players as I think they are better than they are showing.

Guest neesy111

Jonas was our 2nd best defender tonight, I agree with our lack of movement though and I'm trying to get my head around it because I don't blame the players as I think they are better than they are showing.

I really think Pardew is holding this team back in many ways.

It's obviously instructional - Krul never looks for it short.  However we are going to have to learn to move if we are ever going to pass it about, dunno how many games recently I've seen our players rooted like trees.

lack of movement, particularly from our midfiled has been a problem of ours since allardyce if not before. also jonas may not have to defend so much if his rubbish movement didn't contribute to surrendering possession so much. even when enrique was here jonas wanted to be within 3 yds of him and shut the play down.

I never said Simpson and Williamson were exactly his level, just that you can carry footballers who aren't anything special as players, when the majority are very good footballers. Hughes played the game extremely simply in terms of attacking, masking his deficiencies, something I think Simpson can replicate personally. As a defender, there's no comparison obviously.

lack of movement, particularly from our midfiled has been a problem of ours since allardyce if not before.

I know it's a lack of movement you divvy, I don't know why it is though.  It's not as if we play a rigid straight line in midfield with 2 wingers and 2 central midfielders standing in a line.  Is it fitness?  It is the players having a lack of ability?  Is it a lack of self-confidence?  Is it a lack of confidence in each other?  Is it all of those?

lack of movement, particularly from our midfiled has been a problem of ours since allardyce if not before.

I know it's a lack of movement you divvy, I don't know why it is though.  It's not as if we play a rigid straight line in midfield with 2 wingers and 2 central midfielders standing in a line.  Is it fitness?  It is the players having a lack of ability?  Is it a lack of self-confidence?  Is it a lack of confidence in each other?  Is it all of those?

Jonas and Cabaye's starting positions are way, way too deep. Tiote and when it's a right hand side player than isn't HBA they aren't good/clever enough on the ball to warrant such movement.

Playing 4-4-2 restricts movement massively anyway compared to 4-2-3-1.

Obviously there is more to it than that though.

Guest neesy111

We really need to go back to having 2 left footed players on the left to offer some balance to the team imo.

Is it possible that Cabaye has dropped deeper since Steve Taylor got injured. Maybe there's not too much confidence in a defence that contains not only Simpson but Williamson aswell.

or maybe it's just because we believe our best chance of winning is relying on hoofball percentages and that's always been the case all season?