Alan Pardew

JH

Neither does it work the way you said.  We won't get beaten 4-0 because Spurs haven't beaten anyone by two goals?

Ashley isn't saying we would've gotten beat 5-1, just that you can't rule it out.  You seem to think because Spurs haven't beaten anyone by two goals it wouldn't happen to us.   Exactly the same point you're arguing against.

I countered what he said with something to make a point, maybe you should look to see what was said and when.  I didn’t say “We won't get beaten 4-0 because Spurs haven't beaten anyone by two goals.”  I asked why a 4-0 scoreline should be considered, it was just a random number plucked out of fresh air.

Neither does it work the way you said.  We won't get beaten 4-0 because Spurs haven't beaten anyone by two goals?

Ashley isn't saying we would've gotten beat 5-1, just that you can't rule it out.  You seem to think because Spurs haven't beaten anyone by two goals it wouldn't happen to us.   Exactly the same point you're arguing against.

I countered what he said with something to make a point, maybe you should look to see what was said and when.  I didn’t say “We won't get beaten 4-0 because Spurs haven't beaten anyone by two goals.”  I asked why a 4-0 scoreline should be considered, it was just a random number plucked out of fresh air.

A random number which you dismissed down to Spurs' previous form.

I think we're losing sight of the point here (and yes that is largely my fault). Teams have achieved success at WHL by playing cautiously. Had we played 4-4-2, we'd be very open, we'd have Carroll and either somebody s**** or a relative rookie up front - who has never started a Premiership game. Yes Spurs have never steamrollered anybody but how many have gone out and attacked them? Presumably not that many, KD or any of the Spurs fans will be able to shed more light on that I imagine. Playing an extra defensive midfielder was probably meant to nullify VDV, who was quite quiet. Unfortunately, they have quality all over the pitch, whereas we don't. Williamson could have played, sure. Would it have made a difference? Probably not. Likewise Kadar, who is good physically but lacks pace, would probably not have done any better against Lennon than Perch.

We'll never know what might have happened if we had done things differently, personally I think we would have had a better chance with a different line-up to the one we played.  Obviously we might have scored and just got them to come at us more, we'll never know now.

A random number which you dismissed down to Spurs' previous form.

Do you never look at form and come to an opinion or do you look at everything as a 1 off?

When you're a lower mid-table side you're going to lose as many/more than you win so you have to take every game as a one-off. We're not good enough to say, "We should definitely get 4 points from West Ham & Wigan" in the same way we're not going to get beat off all the better sides.

Whats particualrly baffling is that after the performance at West Brom (still for me this season's low point), Hughton was defended with "well he had no options really", yet when Pardew has his hands equally tied in terms of personell, he gets whipped.

Whats particualrly baffling is that after the performance at West Brom (still for me this season's low point), Hughton was defended with "well he had no options really", yet when Pardew has his hands equally tied in terms of personell, he gets whipped.

You're actually baffled by that? I always expected it :lol: King Chris and all that.

I've been guilty for daft over reactions after deafeats, but today's are truly ridiculous.

As I've said, nobody wanted Pardew here but lets give him a chance before hammering the bloke. There's little sense of reasonableness in many of the immediate post match posts.

I've been guilty for daft over reactions after deafeats, but today's are truly ridiculous.

As I've said, nobody wanted Pardew here but lets give him a chance before hammering the bloke. There's little sense of reasonableness in many of the immediate post match posts.

My only thoughts are that we seemed to be playing it long a lot more than usual today. Ball gets to midfield, midfield back to defender, hoof. I know we did it a lot anyway but today took the biscuit. Very easy to defend against when everyone else was so far behind AC9

Hughton didn't have his hands equally tied, Pardew decided not to pick Williamson while Hughton didn't have that choice.  Hughton put out the best side he could and that's beyond argument.  I don't see how that's the case today and Hughton was sacked for the WBA result.

Howay man Mick. Hughton wasnt sacked for the WBA result. We know very well that Ashley had wanted him out for a while, hence the no offer of a contract or the reluctance to appoint an assistant manager once Calderwood went.

Whilst its personal opinion, I dont really think there's much of a difference between Taylor and Williamson either. Both are reasonable defenders with clear weaknesses.

Howay man Mick. Hughton wasnt sacked for the WBA result. We know very well that Ashley had wanted him out for a while, hence the no offer of a contract or the reluctance to appoint an assistant manager once Calderwood went.

Whilst its personal opinion, I dont really think there's much of a difference between Taylor and Williamson either. Both are reasonable defenders with clear weaknesses.

But Williamson seems to gel a lot better with Colo as he provides the muscle and Colo the anticipation and reading of the game. Taylor does neither really, but points and waves a lot.

Williamson provides the muscle. :lol:

What else do you think he provides...the finesse?

He's composed, reads the game well and has good timing in the tackle.

He's not bad in the air either, which is what I was getting at originally. Better than Taylor in any case, and a lot stronger.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He's pretty thin, needs a bit of muscle on him. In a phsyical battle, I'd have Saylor over Williamson, Williamson will easily get bullied out of games