Alan Pardew

JH

From around when he signed Tev/Mascherano they had some decent words for him before it went wrong.

Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano have explained why they turned down some of Europe's biggest clubs in order to make a shock deadline day move to West Ham.

The Argentine duo were only told about the move two days before it took place.

Tevez said: "Other clubs in the Premier League and Europe were interested in us but when we met Alan Pardew he made us both really feel wanted."

Mascherano added: "Pardew talked about his vision for us and the club and we both became very excited."

So hopefully hes pretty good at being inspirational & selling a club to a player. He did alright at HT in the 4-4, though obviously other factors likely had a bigger effect. Chances are this may be more important for signings like getting in a striker as we currently need, as its much harder to find hidden gems in that position. The stats are far more obvious for managers/scouts to notice than other positions like Tiotes.

Why would Llambias be reportedly angry at Hughton for signing Best and Perch if the manager isn't responsible for transfers? Or are the bad transfers Hughton's responsibility and the good ones - like Tiote and HBA - scouted and handled by the omniscient regime that is Llambias, Ashley and superscout Carr?

But didn't they admit in the tribunal that the 'manager has the final say in transfers' was wrong?

Why would Llambias be reportedly angry at Hughton for signing Best and Perch if the manager isn't responsible for transfers? Or are the bad transfers Hughton's responsibility and the good ones - like Tiote and HBA - scouted and handled by the omniscient regime that is Llambias, Ashley and superscout Carr?

Not responding to your post alone but all the posts in general. Basically people even if Hughton didn't go out there and scout the players himself, he still had the final say on getting them here and played a role in attracting them to the club.

By the way some talk on here it's as if he was the anti-christ, however I still remember what he done for this club and we need to give credit where credit is due. Pardew has done a good job so far however, we must not forget the (disgraceful) circumstances in which he came in, though I must stress that although Ashley must be the one to blame for those circumstances, Pardew still had a hand in it. Now he's done well, but he hasn't signed any of his own players (except Kuqi) and as such we should recoginise that Hughton must have had a hand in the dealing bringing Tiote and unifying the team and TBH it does seem as if he could have kept all our major players here as they loved him. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1336641/Newcastle-bring-big-Chris-Hughton-sacking-joke-says-Jose-Enrique.html

But I do say that pardew has done a good job, so far, it's just the circumstances in which he came here make me hesitant to be declaring him the Geordie Messiah like some are saying on here. But still a good job so far.

Doubt there are many takers on the Geordie Messiah but you might get a bit of action on "has done a good job, so far". I said on here (can't be arsed to look when) that it's a judgement call on whether AP is an upgrade on CH. Based on not very much I happen to think he is.

But didn't they admit in the tribunal that the 'manager has the final say in transfers' was wrong?

isnt it also true that we first tried to sign mike williamson in january 09, long before hughton became manager?  suggests at the very least that more than one person is responsible for identifying targets.  and given how long the average manager lasts, that has to be a good thing.

isnt it also true that we first tried to sign mike williamson in january 09, long before hughton became manager? suggests at the very least that more than one person is responsible for identifying targets.  and given how long the average manager lasts, that has to be a good thing.

I don't know. No particular complaints if that's true though, I was always open-minded on who was driving our transfers, as well as who had authority over them. As I've said, there are positives to take from the person/people responsible for all our good signings are still at the club.

The only thing is the handful we do have evidence on, along with subsequent statements, tend to promote the idea the manager was re-established as the supreme authority (within obvious financial restrictions, for the pedants - he handling other people's money after all) following the Keegan affair, while scouting has also been more in the manager's domain, with statements to the contrary have been proven false or heavily impugned by more firmly founded facts (public quotes from people with no evidence other than conjecture against them like Ben Arfa, Bassong and Hughton etc.).

isnt it also true that we first tried to sign mike williamson in january 09, long before hughton became manager?  suggests at the very least that more than one person is responsible for identifying targets.  and given how long the average manager lasts, that has to be a good thing.

According to who?

When he joined Watford in January 09:

Wycombe manager Peter Taylor told his club's official website:

'Mike expressed a desire to play in the Championship. Unfortunately a Championship club wanted to buy him and he was out of contract in the summer.'

As a Premier League club then, I find it very hard to believe we wouldn't have got him if we tried.

It was Perch we tried to buy then went back for.

pretty sure we were linked to williamson the same window as when he moved to watford, though we are of course linked to lots of players every window.  maybe it was just paper talk.

Nowt on .com's rumour pages from Nov/Dec 08 or Jan 09 about him like. :dontknow:

Edit: Wullie :angry:

The bloke's winning me over. When he first took charge I was still swept up in the emotional hangover from Hughton's departure, but since he's done a decent job overall despite the negative vibes remaining from the manner he was handed the job.

Taking results aside for a moment and looking at our performances on the pitch they've been very good on the whole. We mix it up, play some short snappy stuff along with a more direct route one game which is usually pleasant on the eye. Even in games where we've been beaten we've played some decent stuff, Man City comes to mind. I'm also a massive fan of the way we press sides, it's fantastic to see players such as Barton and sometimes even Best pressing the opposition defence. I think some of that has been transferred from the Hughton regime, although we're definitely more offensive on the whole since Pardew took charge.

He's a totally different character to Hughton, he's more confident and certainly more open, sometimes too much so. It would be interesting to see what the player’s personal opinions of him are. Either he's made a positive impression, or he's been able to at least maintain the team spirit Hughton established because on the whole the level of performance hasn't dropped. The only noticable drop of heads was following the Carroll transfer, although we've struggled against sides who set up similar to Fulham all season.

Which brings me to the results, which on the whole have been pretty good with perhaps the only major disappointments being Stevenage and Fulham the latter for me being down to our inability to break down an organised unit more than anything else. The late equalisers from both the mackems and spurs were disappointing, both for different reasons which Pardew seems to have addressed going by the latter stages of our win in Birmingham.

After saying all that my optimism remains cautious. We're yet to see any real sign of how he operates in the transfer market. I'm still sceptical he'll be given a great deal to spend and could well be working on a shoe string budget. He also to sell his vision of the club to key players, namely Barton and Enrique. There's also that ever remaining threat Ashley could well pull the rug from underneath him which can't be ruled out give his volatility in the past. However it's so far so good as far as I'm concerned.

pretty sure we were linked to williamson the same window as when he moved to watford, though we are of course linked to lots of players every window.  maybe it was just paper talk.

Nowt on .com's rumour pages from Nov/Dec 08 or Jan 09 about him like. :dontknow:

wrong window, my memory failed me.  check august 09 on the same site, which was of course much closer to hughton being appointed as fulltime manager

Pretty certain we were interested in Williamson at the time he signed for Portsmouth which must have been around August 2009.

Not responding to your post alone but all the posts in general. Basically people even if Hughton didn't go out there and scout the players himself, he still had the final say on getting them here and played a role in attracting them to the club.

By the way some talk on here it's as if he was the anti-christ, however I still remember what he done for this club and we need to give credit where credit is due. Pardew has done a good job so far however, we must not forget the (disgraceful) circumstances in which he came in, though I must stress that although Ashley must be the one to blame for those circumstances, Pardew still had a hand in it. Now he's done well, but he hasn't signed any of his own players (except Kuqi) and as such we should recoginise that Hughton must have had a hand in the dealing bringing Tiote and unifying the team and TBH it does seem as if he could have kept all our major players here as they loved him. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1336641/Newcastle-bring-big-Chris-Hughton-sacking-joke-says-Jose-Enrique.html

But I do say that pardew has done a good job, so far, it's just the circumstances in which he came here make me hesitant to be declaring him the Geordie Messiah like some are saying on here. But still a good job so far.

Doubt there are many takers on the Geordie Messiah but you might get a bit of action on "has done a good job, so far". I said on here (can't be arsed to look when) that it's a judgement call on whether AP is an upgrade on CH. Based on not very much I happen to think he is.

What I'm saying is that on this forum being a Pardew fan seems to be the "in" thing, which is fine, but to say that he's ban upgrade on Hughton is stupid and no-one can actually give any evidence (which you admit so fairs fair) but TBH I would like to see an actual arguement why he's better than Hughton, because in my mind the fact that Hughton has won more trophies in a season than Pardew has in his entire career says a lot.

I'll have a go. Pardew never managed a squad like the one we had in the Championship. Hughton never got a team he was managing to a Cup Final. But we all know that's not really relevant, as I said its a judgement call on where we are now.

What I'm saying is that on this forum being a Pardew fan seems to be the "in" thing, which is fine, but to say that he's ban upgrade on Hughton is stupid and no-one can actually give any evidence (which you admit so fairs fair) but TBH I would like to see an actual arguement why he's better than Hughton, because in my mind the fact that Hughton has won more trophies in a season than Pardew has in his entire career says a lot.

I'll have a go. Pardew never managed a squad like the one we had in the Championship. Hughton never got a team he was managing to a Cup Final. But we all know that's not really relevant, as I said its a judgement call on where we are now.

IIRC the year after the cup final West Ham finished seventeenth (they were in the relegation zone when he got sacked) plus he had the worst run of results for the Hammers in seventy years.

So he may be alright this season, but next season it can be expected to be a shaky one.

I was a fan of Hughton and defended him a lot on here but I think Pardew has improved the team, regardless of what you think of him as a man.

How has he improved the team? Kuqi?

Of course - we all know Kuqi has been identified as Carroll's replacement.  :rolleyes:

I'll have a go. Pardew never managed a squad like the one we had in the Championship. Hughton never got a team he was managing to a Cup Final. B

IIRC the year after the cup final West Ham finished seventeenth (they were in the relegation zone when he got sacked) plus he had the worst run of results for the Hammers in seventy years.

So he may be alright this season, but next season it can be expected to be a shaky one.

I was a fan of Hughton and defended him a lot on here but I think Pardew has improved the team, regardless of what you think of him as a man.

I don't mean personnel-wise obviously!

I mean in the way he's got us playing, I think we are better.

What you do mean?  I'm supposed to compare individual games to ones in Hughton's reign?

I think we are stronger as a team.  We look harder to beat and are improving more and more attacking wise.  Not to mention that all this has been done without Carroll.

Of course - we all know Kuqi has been identified as Carroll's replacement.  :rolleyes:

How has he improved the team then ???

He hasn't. So what? He wasn't brought in to improve the team, he was brought in as a temporary  body who might at some point cause some damage. Have you not worked this out?

What you do mean?  I'm supposed to compare individual games to ones in Hughton's reign?

I think we are stronger as a team.  We look harder to beat and are improving more and more attacking wise.  Not to mention that all this has been done without Carroll.

Harder to beat, right what are you basing this on ???

We've only lost 3 in 11 under Pardew.  I don't think Hughton ever achieved that (in the PL).