Alan Pardew

JH

There's a flip side also which is "up to you" and that's deciding on the day of an appointment that you're not going to give the manager a chance as you dont like him because of the manner he took over/ average cv/ he's a cockney/ whatever.

I really want the guy to do well, I cant get my head around lambasting the guy at the slightest opportunity. A lot of it is, I suspect, that he's simply not Chris Hughton. Like every manager at NUFC (and we've had more than our fair share), I want him to succeed and I'm not going to get on his back from day one. That's not anything to do with Alan Pardew, I've been like that with every manager that's taken the job.

He over complicated things on Saturday which had the team all over the place and he deserves criticism for that. However the Routledge thing I find a bit ridiculous. The fact is the kid played a good number of games prior to Christmas and contributed absolutely nothing. Hell, I cant stand seeing Lovenkrands out wide and I think he's hopelessly lightweight yet he's still contributed more this season than Routledge. Loaning him out has not altered our fortunes one bit. If he was still here, we'd still be seeing the unconfident and listless performances that he consistently turned in, in the first third of the season.

So far, considering the decisions that have been made over his head, he's made an encouraging start. As mentioned he cocked things up on Saturday and it was very disappointing to take only 1 point from two decent looking home fixtures. However, on Saturday we had no Barton (our player of the season IMO), Ireland, Ameobi only half fit and Enrique who went off crocked. As much to blame as Pardew's tactical shuffles was the fact that we simply lost too many of our key men.

:thup: (Bar the Routledge paragraph. I still wish we'd kept him)

Pardews luckiest break ever has been the spirit he inherited when he joined and the fact the senior players didn't spit their dummies out when he was appointed (after the initial outrage).

It's that spirit which has kept us up this year.

His biggest challenge will be keeping that going next year.

Though, I have my doubts given he's got no influence over the Board and hence no control. He's a puppet and the loss of a Barton or Nolan (more for their influence with the rest of the squad than ability) could see us royally in the shite.

Overall haven't seen anything to suggest I should change my opinion that he's doing well.

The Everton team selection was a bit odd in hindsight, and I still don't understand why Routledge was let go. But bigger picture is looking fine.

I just still can not believe how we got him over Hughton? Given the support Pardew given from Ashley if Hughton got all the backing he would have been great... His signing are great obviously the best manager since we got since SBR. I can not say the same about Pardew.

Overall haven't seen anything to suggest I should change my opinion that he's doing well.

The Everton team selection was a bit odd in hindsight, and I still don't understand why Routledge was let go. But bigger picture is looking fine.

fucking gobsmacked

How can anyone hold Pardew responsible for the sale of Carroll or the fact we didn't bring any players in?  What an utterly bizarre and illogical idea.

Why does he talk almost every day like he has any influence over matters then? Outright lying?

How can anyone hold Pardew responsible for the sale of Carroll or the fact we didn't bring any players in?  What an utterly bizarre and illogical idea.

Why does he talk almost every day like he has any influence over matters then? Outright lying?

He talks about asking Ashley for money to buy players (banging his door down) and he spoke about Ashley telling him Carroll would stay.  Not really sure how it is his fault that in the end he received no money or that Carroll was sold.  What's he meant to do?  Go and nick the money and hope Ashley doesn't catch him?  Hide Carroll somewhere so he can't be found?

You think Pardew is the first manager to be promised money and didn't get it?  Or that a player would be sold against his wishes?

Still doesn't really explain how anyone could hold him responsible..

How's it illogical when Pardew admitted that during talks with Carroll he (Pardew) told him to put his request in writing?  Llambias and Ashley weren't in talks with Carroll, Pardew was.  As for not bringing players in, he did, he brought a player in who was injured at the time and yet to kick a ball for us, he might have been better off bringing in somebody who was fit to play.  We're now using his injury as part of the reason that we're struggling.  It's like me buying a car that doesn't start and then complaining I can't get to work because my car will not get me there.

You think Pardew is the first manager to be promised money and didn't get it?  Or that a player would be sold against his wishes?

Still doesn't really explain how anyone could hold him responsible..

:lol:

Guest BooBoo

It wasnt Pardew who decided to sell Carroll ffs.

Under this regime, no manager will have the final say. The KK tribunal told us that much.

Under this regime, no manager will have the final say. The KK tribunal told us that much.

Nobody said he had final say on selling Carroll, Pardew said that he told Carroll to put a request in writing, he didn't tell him he couldn't leave.

Nobody said he had final say on selling Carroll, Pardew said that he told Carroll to put a request in writing, he didn't tell him he couldn't leave.

He didn't have the power to tell him not to leave - so what's your point?

Do you think Pardew received an offer from Liverpool and then decided to accept it?  Seriously... what are you talking about???

Guest neesy111

Carroll said he wanted to leave though ???

Guest Mantis

Can we just agree he is a puppet for the regime and leave it at that until him and the other two fuck off?

Can we just agree he is a puppet for the regime and leave it at that until him and the other two f*** off?

Most football club managers are puppets. Unless you are talking about the likes of Ferguson, Mourinho or Wenger not many of the others have much clout because it isn't their money is it. At our club most of the recent managers were puppets tbh - Souness, Roeder, Hughton etc. And that's just the ones who stayed longer than a few months.

Got to wonder why any manager would accept such conditions.

Nothing to do with Pardew in specific, but I have to say I've always felt that this English fixation on the "super-manager" who has to do everything by himself is kind of weird.

Hughton did exactly the same. Sometimes managers just think "well it'll be different with me". Like a battered housewife :lol:

He didn't have the power to tell him not to leave - so what's your point?

Do you think Pardew received an offer from Liverpool and then decided to accept it?  Seriously... what are you talking about???

Pardews quotes regardin the transfer, notice the bits in bold.  I seemed to remember that it was Pardew who had asked Carroll to put his request in writing, it appears that he was in agreement with Ashley and Llambias on that one.  Before the "New contract in October" is used.  Tiote signed a contract in August and a new one in February.  I have no problem with that, it's double standards to do it for him yet refuse to do the same for Carroll.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/8295742/Andy-Carroll-was-not-forced-to-leave-Newcastle-says-Alan-Pardew-who-also-questions-players-motives.html

We turned down a big offer, and they came back with a second big offer,” Pardew said.

We were having a discussion about what we were going to do with that offer when Andy requested to see me.

I went to see Andy, and face to face we had a conversation about him wanting a new contract, even though he signed on in October, and (he said) if he didn’t get that contract, he wanted go.

I asked him what he wanted, and I went to the board. We had a discussion about what the ramifications would be for the whole club.

We took the view, with him signing a contract in October, that this would cause us all sorts of problems.

We decided that we needed the conversation confirmed, and he put in a transfer request, which he did.

“He spoke to his agent, and between them they put the request in. We decided with the size of the offer, and what it meant to us, that we would accept.”

When?  The only quotes I remember which were supposedly from him are:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/01/andy-carroll-newcastle-liverpool

"Derek [Llambias, Newcastle's managing director] asked me to hand in a transfer request, so I was pushed into a corner and had no choice," Carroll said. "I wasn't wanted by them and they made it clear they wanted the money.

"Then I flew down in [owner Mike Ashley's] helicopter. I didn't want to leave. I'm gutted that I wasn't wanted at my home team after everything I have done and the progress I have made.

"I didn't want to leave at all. Make sure they know I didn't want to leave. The players, staff and fans were fantastic."

Can we just agree he is a puppet for the regime and leave it at that until him and the other two f*** off?

Do we do the same with the players and other club staff because they are working under the same conditions?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Football Management is the most insane career path ever. You're going to get sacked. You're going to get dog's abuse. You're under the spotlight 24/7. Every decision, selection, injury, poor performance, is your fault. When the team wins, the PLAYERS did well. When the team loses, the MANAGER's tactics were wrong.

When?  The only quotes I remember which were supposedly from him are:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/01/andy-carroll-newcastle-liverpool

"Derek [Llambias, Newcastle's managing director] asked me to hand in a transfer request, so I was pushed into a corner and had no choice," Carroll said. "I wasn't wanted by them and they made it clear they wanted the money.

"Then I flew down in [owner Mike Ashley's] helicopter. I didn't want to leave. I'm gutted that I wasn't wanted at my home team after everything I have done and the progress I have made.

"I didn't want to leave at all. Make sure they know I didn't want to leave. The players, staff and fans were fantastic."

If he didn't want to leave, why the hell did he ask to get his contract renegotiated? I honestly believe that Carroll was given some bad advice from his agent. Originally Carroll probably wanted to stay, but then he was "advised" by his agent, who probably had good information about potential salary offer from Lpool. Also the agent had every economical incentive to unsettle Carroll, since selling him would result in a major payday for both. If Carroll really wanted to stay, he should not have asked for a renegotiation asap, but postponed the talk until the summer..On the other hand, NUFC was offered a huge amount of money.

In hindsight, I cannot blame NUFC for selling him. If spent wisely, we could reinforce our squad significantly, which could make our next season a lot more exiting than if we had Carroll.