Alan Pardew

JH

Moment of day in Orlando. Female American fan to Sir Pardoo: "Oh, you're so much better looking in the flesh.'

Tomorrow's Mail

PARDEW IN SHOCKING WEBCAM SEX SCANDAL - CITES LESLIE GRANTHAM AS HERO

Guest Antec

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/07/24/pardew-s-wise-words-for-travelling-fans-in-us-79310-29108775/

Pardew's wise words for travelling fans in US

Jul 24 2011 by Lee Ryder, Sunday Sun

ALAN PARDEW has held court with Newcastle United’s travelling fans in Orlando.

And the Sunday Sun can reveal that Pardew gave Toon fans a rare insight into how the Magpies will play next season.

Pardew told fans that United were working hard on ball retention and improving their possession.

This is something that Pardew is keen to better for next term and the manager told his players after the West Brom game that losing a 3-0 lead at St James’ Park was simply “unacceptable for Newcastle United fans”.

The Newcastle United boss was happy to allow supporters in the sunshine state to take in training in the shadow of the Citrus Bowl in a move that brought back memories of the days of Kevin Keegan.

Back in the 1990s, KK had an “open policy” at the club’s old Maiden Castle base in Durham.

United fan Dave Johnson from Wideopen, said: “It was brilliant to see the lads training at such close quarters and to watch it alongside the team’s coaching staff. Alan Pardew told us what the squad were working on during the session – they spent a good deal of time focusing on keeping possession, which is very important in this kind of heat.

“The players were split into three groups all working against each other.”

Orlando officials has initially turned Toon fans away from the training session.

But Pardew indicated he did not have a problem with fans taking in the practice drill.

Mr Johnson, who was also joined by fans who had made the long journey to Orlando, won a competition operated by the club and Thomas Cook and was joined by Graham Bland, Mark Rankin and Natasha Amina Raja.

The fanatical foursome were then given a training session by Steve Stone and keeper coach Andy Woodman.

United trained in a small field next door to the 1994 World Cup venue after concerns over the temporary grass surface at the Citrus bowl.

Orlando had agreed to Newcastle’s request that the game had to be played on grass.

And the Florida outfit paid a six-figure sum to roll on grass on top of their Field Turf surface.

Field Turf is a brand name and provide artificial surfaces to a host of NFL sides in the United States.

They also laid the very pitch that Newcastle have at their indoor complex back on Tyneside.

I like the sound of bit in bold, going to have to keep the usual suspects from having any playing time though

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'm worried about u's trying to play better football next year.

Here me out!

We cannot compete with the top sides on the deck and we seem to have lost a bit of steel to out fight the middle of the road clubs. It is no good trying to play good football against Stoke, blackburn etc they will score a goal out if brut force.

I think 10-14th is realistic next year

Here me out!

We cannot compete with the top sides on the deck and we seem to have lost a bit of steel to out fight the middle of the road clubs. It is no good trying to play good football against Stoke, blackburn etc they will score a goal out if brut force.

Last season we didn't have the flair or creativity to breakdown the likes of Stoke, nor the strength or aggression to compete. But, with Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Ba, and possibly Erdnic, we'll have a combination of both. Not saying it will be enough, but I certainly think we've got more going forward now.

Here me out!

Depends. I think Pards is into something.. SAF's mantra "pass and move" has been implemented by Solskjaer in Molde FK, and they're leading the Norwegian League as we speak. Some of the players have improved dramatically in their passing abilities. And because of constant movement, there's plenty of passing alternatives. That eases also the job for the weakest players since they're always have somebody to pass to,. All this leads to possession. As the game goes on, Molde usually takes more control of the game because the opponent gets tired of running between.. That could be one of the reasons why ManU so often manages to score a goal late in the game.. Such tactics may in particular work against the more physical teams like Blackburn as long as we're able to keep the ball on the ground.

The 'graft and steel' approach got us some good results last year, but it also saw us get 4 points from 30 against Fulham, Blackburn, Blackpool, West Brom and Stoke. We need pace and quality in the side to turn this type of sides over, particularly at home - and Pardew seems to be trying to address that within the constraints placed upon him.

You'd like to think that despite losing Nolan and Carroll, we can retain some of the grittiness we've demonstrated in fixtures against the top 6 teams and away from home, as well as adding pace and attacking impetus to the side.

I see what Pardew's trying to do, but I'm not sure yet whether he'll manage it. We'll see.

Keeping the ball is the best way not to lose a goal. If we can have more possession against teams like Stoke and Blackburn then they won't have as many opportunities to lump the ball up and cause us trouble. They'll also have to keep more men behind the ball, which means their long-ball tactics will not be as effective as it usually is, and of course the fact that they won't have a lot of men in our half means we're less likely to concede throw-ins and free-kicks in dangerous areas.

The 'graft and steel' approach got us some good results last year, but it also saw us get 4 points from 30 against Fulham, Blackburn, Blackpool, West Brom and Stoke. We need pace and quality in the side to turn this type of sides over, particularly at home - and Pardew seems to be trying to address that within the constraints placed upon him.

You'd like to think that despite losing Nolan and Carroll, we can retain some of the grittiness we've demonstrated in fixtures against the top 6 teams and away from home, as well as adding pace and attacking impetus to the side.

I see what Pardew's trying to do, but I'm not sure yet whether he'll manage it. We'll see.

I agree with this. In theory, what we're doing is very sensible. I'm sure every team would like to pass the ball on the deck because it's the surest way of dominating matches and being a good team, but it's obviously very hard to do, which is why many teams opt for the easier tactics of long-ball and counter-attacking. But we've bought some very good players - at least according to their reputations - who would seem to fit into a pass and move style of football, so there's some coherence and logic to what we're doing. I major doubt is whether Pardew has the management skills to implement this, but I'm sure that I've read that he's only taking care of the defence and leaving the attacking side to Carver, and based on Carver's history with SBR, I'm pretty confident that we'll be a better team next year.

For what it's worth, if we sign Erdinc and no one else, I see us finishing in the top 10. If we can sign another midfielder/winger and keep everyone, I see us easily challenging for the top 8, flirting with the top 6 and giving teams like Liverpool and Spurs a scare. I reckon that we're very likely to be a better team than we were last year; based on criteria like our points total, our finishing position, our goals difference. I think we'll be better in cup competitions as well.

[tin hat][summer optimism]

Come next summer, the criticism of Ashley and Llambias will be quite muted because there'll be no doubt that we're in a far better position than when they took over and with players like Smith no longer on the books, we'll have far more room in our wage budget to sign next year's version of players like Sturridge.

[/tin hat][/summer optimism]

One of the most sensible things he could do is lean on Carver. It's often glib to say that every club needs someone who "understands the area, and the history, and the culture" or whatever, but Carver's been there and done it with SBR, one of our most successful modern-day managers. Pardew would be a fool not to draw on that experience.

I wonder if the comparisons made by some that Erding is a bit like Bellamy might be why we're so keen on getting him?

Guest TheSummerOf69

The most worrying thing about the game yesterday was how many times we tried to play triangles and gave the ball away.

For what it's worth, if we sign Erdinc and no one else, I see us finishing in the top 10. If we can sign another midfielder/winger and keep everyone, I see us easily challenging for the top 8, flirting with the top 6 and giving teams like Liverpool and Spurs a scare. I reckon that we're very likely to be a better team than we were last year; based on criteria like our points total, our finishing position, our goals difference. I think we'll be better in cup competitions as well.

Come next summer, the criticism of Ashley and Llambias will be quite muted because there'll be no doubt that we're in a far better position than when they took over and with players like Smith no longer on the books, we'll have far more room in our wage budget to sign next year's version of players like Sturridge.

You need improvements in defence and strikeforce, not only in quality but also in numbers, before you're getting anywhere near the top 6.

You need improvements in defence and strikeforce, not only in quality but also in numbers, before you're getting anywhere near the top 6.

I feel unwell hearing the opinion of a Bolton fan.

I know it's wrong and i know i'm generalising but i just don't care what you think.

P.S No chance of sixth next year.

I agree that we need more numbers in defence, but the quality of the starting players is fine for now. It's as good as Liverpool's and a touch behind Spurs', and those are the two teams who I think we should be looking to catch in the next couple of years. Colo and Enrique would start for both those teams, but obviously Taylor wouldn't get near either of them.

In general, when a defence isn't under constant pressure, it's fine. Taylor's the only one who's liable to mental lapses, so Williamson might regain the starting position during the season because he's more composed. But the key is obviously to make sure the defence isn't under pressure, which is the duty of the midfielders to not lose the ball in dangerous positions and to be able to keep the ball for long periods, which would force teams to drop more men back to defend, leaving one or two players available for the counter, and thus meaning less pressure for our defence. It's all about the midfield, and our midfield is shaping up to be an excellent one, imo.

:sadnod:

I'll take that with a touch of salt, considering I've seen Ben Arfa being compared with Maradona and people claiming Barton is better than the Man Utd midfield on here recently.

Just an outsider's view.

Person, not people. On both cases.

I'm sure I could find someone on a Bolton forum saying Kevin Davies is better than Rooney :laugh:

I'll take that with a touch of salt, considering I've seen Ben Arfa being compared with Maradona and people claiming Barton is better than the Man Utd midfield on here recently.

Just an outsider's view.

Not particularly related to the above post but you claimed Tyrone Mears will be a decent squad player. You also mentioned us needing to improve our defence, both in terms of quality and numbers; if Cahill goes, Mears being back-up to David Wheater and Zat Knight is hardly anything to write home about.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He is going to field some questions about jose's comments.

Not expecting him to go against the hierachy but it increases the pressure