Alan Pardew

JH

I assume the 4 players we bid for were:

Cisse, Maiga, Ruiz and Ridgewell.

4 strikers over the summer (Gameiro, Erdinc, Maiga, Ruiz?) or 4 players on deadline day?

What he's said about Ruiz doesn't seem to tally with other sources. With Pardew re-iterating that he has no part in negotiations and finances he probably doesn't know himself what happened. How that particular deal could break down on finances is almost impossible to comprehend - they'd already accepted a bid from Fulham so we just had to match that. Offering any amount less means we weren't serious about making a bid and all this talk of helicopters is what? A diversion, an facade, a piss-take? And if we were making a genuine approach, why wait until a couple of hours left on the last day? Mind boggling.... Of course with twente saying only fulham bid, jol saying we never bid, and ruiz himself saying were no discussions with us it all adds up to there being little to no substance there.

i do wonder if Pardew is just trying to protect the board here, while still feeling angry that they didnt do the business they should've. feel a bit sorry for him tbh, between a rock and a hard place.

I assume the 4 players we bid for were:

Cisse, Maiga, Ruiz and Ridgewell.

4 strikers over the summer (Gameiro, Erdinc, Maiga, Ruiz?) or 4 players on deadline day?

What he's said about Ruiz doesn't seem to tally with other sources. With Pardew re-iterating that he has no part in negotiations and finances he probably doesn't know himself what happened. How that particular deal could break down on finances is almost impossible to comprehend - they'd already accepted a bid from Fulham so we just had to match that. Offering any amount less means we weren't serious about making a bid and all this talk of helicopters is what? A diversion, an facade, a p*ss-take? And if we were making a genuine approach, why wait until a couple of hours left on the last day? Mind boggling.... Of course with twente saying only fulham bid, jol saying we never bid, and ruiz himself saying were no discussions with us it all adds up to there being little to no substance there.

i do wonder if Pardew is just trying to protect the board here, while still feeling angry that they didnt do the business they should've. feel a bit sorry for him tbh, between a rock and a hard place.

Could be this actually.

If it was a bid, it was a bid we knew wouldn't come to fruition.

There is absolutely no chance we are deliberately making bids we know will fail. I don't believe that for a second.

I'm generally not sold on the idea either, but with all the inconsistent reports, I honestly don't know. It was a major knee-jerk, and a long shot, at "best".

There is absolutely no chance we are deliberately making bids we know will fail. I don't believe that for a second.

Keegan said they did that when he was there. 'We agreed a price, and they went away bidding lower knowing it would get rejected'.

Im stunned that you rule out this sort of behaviour if you've read the tribunal report and see how they behaved/what they accepted from their DOF.

*cough* Bullshit

What's bullshit? He's basically saying people are right to criticise the board.

Well said Pardew me owld sun. :thup:

If we did bid for Ruiz mind, I hope he means prior to him winging his way into London, otherwise that's about as terrifyingly knee-jerk as you can get.

The tweet from Lee Ryder. Ney chance that was a genuine bid for Ruiz

You are hereSport>Sport Columnists>Black & White

Pardew breaks silence on transfer window frustration

UPBEAT ... United manager Alan Pardew believes his squad is stronger than it was a year ago.

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Thursday 8 September 2011 11:34

ALAN Pardew’s come out fighting after a troubled end to the transfer window – and insisted Newcastle United’s squad IS stronger than it was a year ago.

The club’s failure to land a replacement for January departure Andy Carroll angered supporters.

It also frustrated Pardew, who also lost influential trio Joey Barton, Jose Enrique and Kevin Nolan this summer.

Newcastle boss Pardew eyes Swiss strikers

And those high-profile departures, coupled with the lack of another incoming forward, has left fans again questioning the club’s ambition.

Up to now, Pardew has kept his counsel on Newcastle’s abortive efforts to sign a striker, which went to the wire last Wednesday.

However, Pardew has broken his silence ahead of Monday night’s visit to Queens Park Rangers – and pleaded with supporters to continue to back his team whatever their misgivings about the club’s controversial recruitment policy.

He’s also reiterated his confidence in the players that did arrive at St James’s Park, among them Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Davide Santon and Gabriel Obertan, believing his side can compete for a top-10 finish in the Premier League.

“We’ve still got a better squad than we finished with last year, even without the signing (of a striker on deadline day),” said Pardew.

“I don’t want to go into that too much, but I just think we’ve started well, and players are playing well.

“We have players in form and we need to keep moving forward.

“We have everybody pulling in the same direction, and that’s something that can’t be taken away from us.

“No matter how much bad publicity we’ve had, or negativity there is around the place, we still have great team spirit. That’s what we’ll take to QPR.”

Pardew’s name was chanted by fans in United’s last game – a 2-1 home win over Fulham – but anger has been directed in his direction as well as the club’s hierarchy since the transfer window closed.

On the discontent among supporters, Pardew went on: “We hope they support us in the same manner they always do.

“They’ve been brilliant for us. That helps massively away from home.

“They’re loud and noisy and that helps the team. We hope that we give them a performance that is going to give them a lift after missing out on the transfer window striker that we all wanted.”

Newcastle go into the QPR game on the back of an unbeaten start to the season.

Neil Warnock’s team, meanwhile, are looking a far tougher proposition than they did a few weeks ago, new owner Tony Fernandes having bankrolled a spending spree late in the window.

Joey Barton, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Anton Ferdinand all arrived at Loftus Road to significantly strengthen Warnock’s squad.

“We want to continue our good start,” said Pardew.

“But I think it’s important that we understand that they’ll be buoyed by the new signings, and there will be a little bit of optimism around the place.

“We have to make sure we counter that, because that enthusiasm could drive them to a win. We need to match it.”

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/sport-columnists/black-white/pardew_breaks_silence_on_transfer_window_frustration_1_3753140

He's right. HBA's still knacked, and it's a pisser that Vukic and Abeid are out for a couple of weeks, and yes yes yes we still need a fkn number 9, but just looking at the bench we have mustered this season compared to where we finished last season makes me a good deal happier about the squad to be honest.

??? Really? Here's the team from the last match.

Krul, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor, Coloccini, Cabaye, Tiote, Obertan, Best, Lovenkrands, Gutierrez

Soderberg, Ba, Vuckic, Smith, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Ferguson

Sorry, but that bench doesn't look too strong to me as we've got 4 development players on there that have yet to prove themselves up to the level required (one of which hasn't had a 1st team game for that matter), a player coming back from a serious injury, a striker who is looking out of shape and Alan Smith, who actually got time on the field.

Of course that team would have had Ben Arfa, Santon, Shoala, Williamson and Harper in if they were fit / available, but then Ben Arfa and Santon would be in the starting 11 in place of Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor.

The transfer business over the summer did nothing to strengthen the squad, and it is still uncertain whether the players are adequate replacements for those leaving, never mind an improvment.

He's right. HBA's still knacked, and it's a pisser that Vukic and Abeid are out for a couple of weeks, and yes yes yes we still need a fkn number 9, but just looking at the bench we have mustered this season compared to where we finished last season makes me a good deal happier about the squad to be honest.

Krul, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor, Coloccini, Cabaye, Tiote, Obertan, Best, Lovenkrands, Gutierrez

Sorry, but that bench doesn't look too strong to me as we've got 4 development players on there that have yet to prove themselves up to the level required (one of which hasn't had a 1st team game for that matter), a player coming back from a serious injury, a striker who is looking out of shape and Alan Smith, who actually got time on the field.

Of course that team would have had Ben Arfa, Santon, Shoala, Williamson and Harper in if they were fit / available, but then Ben Arfa and Santon would be in the starting 11 in place of Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor.

The transfer business over the summer did nothing to strengthen the squad, and it is still uncertain whether the players are adequate replacements for those leaving, never mind an improvment.

Yes, really. Here's the team at the end of last season.

Krul

Simpson

Jose Enrique

Coloccini

Steven Taylor

Ryan Taylor

Barton

Guthrie

Shola Ameobi

Lovenkrands

Ferguson

Substitutes:

LuaLua

Smith

Best

Soderberg

Ranger

Tavernier

Kuqi

Comparing the two, I'm still a good deal happier and more positive with the current lot (team on the pitch and subs). :snod:

Guest VaVaVoom

Once fully fit AP does have a much stronger match day squad at his disposal.

Krul, Raylor, Saylor, Colo, Santon, Jonas, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas, Barfa and Ba as our best starting 11.

Harper, Simpson, Willo, Gosling, Obertan, Shola and Best on the bench.

Then we have the likes of Elliot, Kadar, Ferguson, Guthrie, Vuckic, Abeid and Sameobi pushing the match day squad. We also have Perch, Smith and Lovenkrands but they should be as far from the 1st team as possible.

That match day 18 is very strong. The bench is definitely stronger and we have some real prospects pushing the 1st team too.

Come January and we hopefully add a quality striker and natural left back we will definitely have a squad capable of a top 7 finish and a cup with a bit of luck.

Krul, Raylor, Saylor, Colo, Santon, Jonas, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas, Barfa and Ba as our best starting 11.

Then we have the likes of Elliot, Kadar, Ferguson, Guthrie, Vuckic, Abeid and Sameobi pushing the match day squad. We also have Perch, Smith and Lovenkrands but they should be as far from the 1st team as possible.

That match day 18 is very strong. The bench is definitely stronger and we have some real prospects pushing the 1st team too.

Come January and we hopefully add a quality striker and natural left back we will definitely have a squad capable of a top 7 finish and a cup with a bit of luck.

Woah, where did we get 2 Jonas' from :frantic:

You've got Jonas covering both wings by the way...  :shifty:

I honestly cannot see how either of you can say that the bench is noticably strenghtened tough as the only real difference there is the addition of either Obertan or Marveux.  One player added to a list of dubious quality and that's if we can ever get that first team out fit and playing together and then we get Smith, Guthrie or development players on the bench.

Woah, where did we get 2 Jonas' from :frantic:

Double the work rate. :fwap: :fwap: :fwap:

No Marv man.

You've got Jonas covering both wings by the way...  :shifty:

I honestly cannot see how either of you can say that the bench is noticably strenghtened tough as the only real difference there is the addition of either Obertan or Marveux.  One player added to a list of dubious quality and that's if we can ever get that first team out fit and playing together and then we get Smith, Guthrie or development players on the bench.

We had Ba on the bench as well. A bit of an upgrade on Kuqi don't you think? O0

You've got Jonas covering both wings by the way...  :shifty:

I honestly cannot see how either of you can say that the bench is noticably strenghtened tough as the only real difference there is the addition of either Obertan or Marveux.  One player added to a list of dubious quality and that's if we can ever get that first team out fit and playing together and then we get Smith, Guthrie or development players on the bench.

In this example that was posted I think that you'll find that Ba is in the starting 11.  An upgrade on Kuqi, but so were our other misfit forwards last season, but an upgrade on Andy Carroll?

You've got Jonas covering both wings by the way...  :shifty:

I honestly cannot see how either of you can say that the bench is noticably strenghtened tough as the only real difference there is the addition of either Obertan or Marveux.  One player added to a list of dubious quality and that's if we can ever get that first team out fit and playing together and then we get Smith, Guthrie or development players on the bench.

In this example that was posted I think that you'll find that Ba is in the starting 11.  An upgrade on Kuqi, but so were our other misfit forwards last season, but an upgrade on Andy Carroll?

Sorry, was referring to the teams we posted, but aye, obviously not an upgrade on AC (but then, I'd already pointed that out in my previous post).

An upgrade on what we had at the end of last season though which is what you challenged... still yes.

Guest barnabox

What about January's last minute, knee-jerk bid for N'zogbia?

If there was one chairman that Ashley could almost guarantee wouldn't accept his bid, it'd be Dave Whelan.

IMO that was exactly why it was the only bid made.

What about January's last minute, knee-jerk bid for N'zogbia?

If there was one chairman that Ashley could almost guarantee wouldn't accept his bid, it'd be Dave Whelan.

IMO that was exactly why it was the only bid made.

How would that benefit us or Ashley though? At the time, it was just another thing to get frustrated and angry about. In fact Whelan was the only one to gain anything by being able to crow that he had got one over Mike and turned us down.

In fact Pardew has since denied we'd actually made any bid (just sounded out a number of players, but never went further as we were fucked for time) so maybe it was just Whelan and Sky playing silly buggers in the end.

Sorry, was referring to the teams we posted, but aye, obviously not an upgrade on AC (but then, I'd already pointed that out in my previous post).

An upgrade on what we had at the end of last season though which is what you challenged... still yes.

At least I had the decency to use the players we'd had available in our last fixture, and then included the list of injured / unavailable players and mentioned the fact that they'd displace a couple of the team that started that match - you've chosen a team that was down to the bare bones on the very last day of the season and decided to misrepresent that as the top choice first team.

The simple facts are that the squad is still bereft of proven quality once you get past the first 11, backed up with a reserve squad of mostly cheap misfits and development players.

Harper's fit though, just out of favour.