Alan Pardew

JH

Okay, I'll clarify my point. If you feel you're being fucked over by your boss, you have choices. You can grin and bear it or you can quit.

the idea that these are the only two credible choices is astonishingly stupid tbf. though quite entertaining to watch the mental contortions you put yourself through in order to defend the indefensible.

one of the other alternatives is to try and effect change whatever way you can. i'd say pardew is pleased to have such a big job considering his career record is mediocre, so he's not going to give it up just yet. but that's not to say he's not disappointed in the board, as any manager in football would be working for such unprofessional clowns. for the next few months and going into the january window he'll be walking a tightrope, trying to engineer pressure for funds, using his influence both in public and behind closed doors, while at the same time trying to stay in the good books of his employers. won't be easy.

not surprising that you are oblivious to this subtle and complex course of diplomacy.

It's a dangerous game playing both sides though. While it's daft to suggest he should quit, there's every chance his employers might get itchy fingers if they think he is fishing for sympathy at their expense. If he loses his job not many Newcastle fans who he is trying to appease will give a flying fuck so he should perhaps choose his words with a bit more care IMO.

oh absolutelty. pardew's a gobshite so im not sure he is intellectually capable of walkimg that fine line between going for what he needs and keeping fans on side, while still needing to build up more trust and co-operation with Llambias and Ashley. A more skilled diplomat may have been able to pull this off - whereas Pardew waffles on about nonsense every week.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/11/we-are-all-feeling-disappointed-but-don-t-let-that-spoil-a-promising-start-79310-29399104/

We are all feeling disappointed, but don’t let that spoil a promising start

Sep 11 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

THERE was something appropriate about Alan Pardew seeking refuge from his Toon troubles with a Swiss scouting mission last week.

While the Toon Army battled with the United board over their high-profile transfer failures this summer, Pardew landed in a country with a long history of neutrality to run the rule over a couple of long-term targets.

It was a calculated move, a chance to get away from the North East goldfish bowl while also reinforcing the point that he should have a big say in which players move to St James’ Park in January. And – he concedes – he felt all the better for it.

“I think it was important for me, yeah. I did take myself away from the training ground, just to make sure that I’m ready and right for going forward,” he told the Sunday Sun.

“I wanted also to send a message that my job is targeting players and I wanted to go straight to a particular game to target someone who I think would be great for the football club. That’s what I did.

“Most people within the game are coming up to me and saying ‘It’s going really, really well’.

“Of course, you step back into this world and it’s a disaster, even though we’ve got seven points!

“I’m not trying to disguise the fact everyone is disappointed we didn’t get the striker. I’m not going to sit here and try to do that, but we’ve started reasonably well and we want to continue that now.”

Pardew’s return to public life came on Thursday after some “robust” conversations with Derek Llambias, the man who had ultimate responsibility for landing United’s top striker targets.

The Newcastle boss has made his feelings clear, and it is probably no coincidence that the board have finally opened up avenues of communication with United’s support following some of his protestations.

He knows to some he will always be a willing patsy of an unpopular regime. Mike Ashley’s difficulties with the United support are something he neither denies nor tries to alter.

His slightly downbeat analysis is that there is no way out of the loveless marriage for the time being. Only success, probably not to be delivered for “three or four years”, will break the cycle.

“It’s difficult at Newcastle and I don’t think the owner’s relationship with the fans helps. That’s obvious,” he admitted.

“I don’t think there’s anything I can say or do that will improve that. Hopefully over the next three-four years, if I bring some success to the club, maybe that can be looked at in a different light. But certainly not in the short term.”

For Pardew, the key relationship is with controversial managing director Llambias.

A tough, uncompromising character he is not afraid of conflict and the manager admits there have been arguments over the past fortnight. But has there been any irreparable damage? Not a bit of it, the Toon boss says.

“I think Derek is the type to call a spade a spade and so am I. We’ve exchanged those words and we have to put it right and make sure we work together to move forward. That’s where we are.

“I think it’s important that Derek hears from me the message from the fans. I made that perfectly clear to him, how important it was.”

Pardew had been warned to expect travails when he took the job, but even he has been surprised by some of the events of the past nine months.

Having described his team as now “less experienced but more exuberant” he was asked whether the opposite applied to his own situation.

Pausing for a moment he responded: “I think so. You could argue that . . .

“In terms of where I am with the club, I’ve really enjoyed working here. I love the people, they’ve been great to me. Hopefully I can repay them with the squad I’ve got.

“I would have loved to have the striker and filled the No 9 jersey.

“We’d have had the complete picture then and it would have almost been too easy for Newcastle. That’s how I’ve tried to look at it.”

With the transfer window closed and some of the feistier characters out of the exit door, a period of greater stability is anticipated.

It has been a turbulent summer but Pardew reckons a more tranquil autumn is on the horizon. Or hopes that is the case, at the very least.

“I’ve not been helped by some of the key players that we’ve lost this summer,” he admits.

“Some because of past histrionics with the board, some just had the desire to leave – like Enrique, who was just determined to leave, there was nothing we could do. Andy Carroll was the same, to an extent.

“I’ve had difficult periods in that but I’m hoping it will smooth out now and that the players that really come to the fore to us, we manage to keep. We’ll see.”

Guest cr4igora

I presume this article has been posted, since it was on Sky Sports yesterday: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11678_7169665,00.html

A lot of people moan, because Pardew talks a lot. I think it's great that he tries to keep the fans as up to date as possible and even though he is heavily restricted in his transfer activites, as he said after transfer deadline day, I think he does a great balancing between speaking the truth and not totally slagging-off his employers. Joey Barton certainly didn't have that tact!

:lol: it must just be me who thinks all the pard and pardy jokes are class.

I believe it was the social commentator Andrew WK who famously said when it's time to Pardy, we will Pardy hard. Very apt should we win tonight.

He really needs a good performance from the lads tonight, not just a win but a convincing win, we have had a great start but its been a lucky one.

For some reason I can see us hammering QPR tonight. Maybe too optimistic? :p Btw I don't think we've had a lucky start tbh. We haven't romped to victory no, but I believe we've got the results we've deserved.

Alan Pardew still aims for top-ten finish

by Mark Douglas, The JournalSep 12 2011

ALAN Pardew says deadline day disappointment hasn’t altered his target of a top-ten finish – and a healthy run in one of the Cup competitions.

The Newcastle United boss was told the top half of the Premier League was a minimum requirement over the summer months, but that was before the failed pursuit of a new number nine.

However, Derek Llambias’ weekend statement has reaffirmed the board’s desire to see United back in the top ten – and Pardew agrees that it is an attainable aim with our without a new forward.

Despite admitting he feels “upset” with the board, Pardew remains bullish about Newcastle’s prospects this season.

They travel to QPR tonight looking to build on an unbeaten start to the season that has been largely forgotten in the wake of their inaction in the final days of the transfer window. Not within the four walls of Pardew’s office, though, with the Newcastle boss insisting there is enough quality to make a concerted push for the top half of the Premier League.

He said: “We need to challenge for the top ten in this division and at the moment I think that is still possible. It is still there. I’ve got to be honest, I would be doing myself a disservice if I wasn’t targeting the top ten and a good run in one of the cup competitions. I think we have a squad that is strong enough for that.

“We have less experience in the team but we have more exuberance, so we will have to use that and bring it to the fore.”

If Pardew has been re-energised after the international break, he recognises that there is a need to recapture the momentum lost by their transfer travails.

While there is a perception that Newcastle have started brightly among the wider football fraternity, their early season promise has been overshadowed by a familiar set of questions surrounding the board’s commitment to the club.

The Newcastle hierarchy will hope to have blown away that set of queries with the assertion that Mike Ashley remains “passionate and committed” to the black and white cause.

But there will be a hope that the return of the Premier League will give United the chance to refocus on a campaign that has begun with promise.

Pardew admits it troubles him to have to “start again”, but it is something he has got used to over the course of nearly nine months in charge of the club. “Start again? It seems to be a regular occurrence at this club. Here we go again and hopefully we will get the same results,” he said.

“My first XI will be very strong and I look at my subs and think the bench is strong too. We’ve got some young players coming through who have progressed very quickly.”

The one department United look really light in is the back four. Pardew’s solution in the wake of Mike Williamson’s injury is to draft James Perch in as an emergency centre-back.

“I think that’s now turned out to be – with Willo’s injury – an area where perhaps I’d have liked a bit more cover,” the United boss said.

“But Perch is back and I think his best position is at centre-back, from what I’ve seen of him. We’ll probably use him there.”

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/09/12/alan-pardew-still-aims-for-top-ten-finish-61634-29404251/2/#ixzz1Xjd9Q34w

He really needs a good performance from the lads tonight, not just a win but a convincing win, we have had a great start but its been a lucky one.

You're joking aren't you? Any away win in the Premiership is a good achievement, and we're not up against a rubbish side.

“We have less experience in the team but we have more exuberance, so we will have to use that and bring it to the fore.”

This is the thing that makes me less worried by the departure of Nolan and friends. We should definitely be aiming for the top 10, we are more than capable of doing that even without the second striker signing.

This shitty performance is on Pardew. Why the f*** did Raylor get a whole game? You have to wonder if he's our new regular left back. Changes were too little too late. Don't know what the f*** he was thinking today. We were so gash - and he did nothing. Horrible.

This is the thing that makes me less worried by the departure of Nolan and friends. We should definitely be aiming for the top 10, we are more than capable of doing that even without the second striker signing.

LoL