Alan Pardew

JH

I don't think many fans would advocate getting rid of Pardew any time soon fwiw, maybe 1 out of 100.

520 all sat together at St James could make some noise like and thats not what we want.

They are a fuckin joke the lot of them.

He is the best manager we have had since SBR and is doing a fine job so far imo.

My statistic was made up and is not official btw. :lol:

For all those saying we should be grateful for being sixth blah blah blah, just take a look at some of our players for a moment and then take a look at those around us or below us.

Krul - arguably the best up and coming keeper in the country and easily the top perfoming keeper this season.

Colo - arguably the best performing centre-half in the country. He'd walk into any of the top 5 sides in this country for me.

Santon -  he looks a naturally gifted footballer going forward.

S. Taylor - he's been playing like an international centre-back and of all the English centre-backs I'd say he was playing better than any of them before his injury.

Jonas - is there a better outlet player in the league? I remember against Stoke away and Blackburn at home in the FA Cup, he ran them raggid so much the opposition simply gave up because they couldn't keep up with his work-rate and drives forward. Yes he's frustrating but he causes so many problems and helps this team a lot as an outlet.

Cabaye - his passing, his energy, his tackling, his running... he just keeps going. He has been brilliant for us, easily one of the best midfielders outside of the top 5.

Tiote - on his day there is no one better at breaking up play and then driving forward. He's a beast and potentially world-class.

Ben Arfa - how many players in our league could score the goal he score against Blackburn? He has the potential to be a huge star of this league.

Ba - he has scored 15 goals and is the best striker I've seen at Newcastle since Shearer and I include Sir Les in that. he's on course to score 20 league goals. Masn Utd don't have that kind of striker nor do Liverpool or Chelsea.

In short we have the nucleaus of a really good side and squad wise it isn't that bad either. Guthrie is playing well and looking a good player for example. Best is a decent all-rounder and a cool finisher on his day. Williamson is an adequate PL defender.

We have a good starting 11 and a decent enough squad. And I haven't even mentioned Cisse yet (I haven't seen him play basically).

Again, starting XI vs starting XI I'd say we are on a par with Liverpool and that to me suggests we are indeed a top 6 side at least.

What a ridiculous point that is. Pardew made Krul the number one, Pardew turned a defence consisting of the Taylors (both massively criticised by fans in the past) and Danny Simpson into one of the tightest defences in the league. The other member of that back 5 he made captain, and Colo has subsequently revelled in a leadership role. You say "look at those players he has got to work with" yet most people's expectations of him as a manager and the squad at the start of the season was bottom half at best. He has done fantastically well and would do a hell of a lot better if certain fans stopped being so bloody pessimistic.

He is not the best in game manager and frequently gets things wrong but so does everybody else. Get off his back and just enjoy one of the better teams we have seen walk out at SJP before Ashley wanders in with his sledgehammer again to ruin it.

Barring injuries and suspensions (and unless we buy someone in the next few days which I think looks increasingly unlikely, or sell someone...), once Tiote is back I believe our side for the rest of the season will be:

Krul

Simpson Williamson Coloccini Santon

Tiote

Ben Arfa Cabaye Gutierrez

Ba

Cissé

Guthrie will play in place of Tiote for the time being, but aside from Steven Taylor I think that is Pardew's ideal XI and we'll see the benefits.

Barring injuries and suspensions (and unless we buy someone in the next few days which I think looks increasingly unlikely, or sell someone...), once Tiote is back I believe our side for the rest of the season will be:

Krul

Simpson Williamson Coloccini Santon

Tiote

Ben Arfa Cabaye Gutierrez

Ba

Cissé

Guthrie will play in place of Tiote for the time being, but aside from Steven Taylor I think that is Pardew's ideal XI and we'll see the benefits.

:thup:

If Cisse settles quickly and looks like the player he was in Germany our front two is ridiculous :lol:

Guest VaVaVoom

I don't think many fans would advocate getting rid of Pardew any time soon fwiw, maybe 1 out of 100.

520 all sat together at St James could make some noise like and thats not what we want.

They are a fuckin joke the lot of them.

He is the best manager we have had since SBR and is doing a fine job so far imo.

My statistic was made up and is not official btw. :lol:

Obviously.

I don't think anyone defines stability as being tactically inflexible.

What does stability bring?  I ask the question because I don't think it matters as much when a club has a scouting system which identifies the transfers.  I agree stability doesn't mean being tactically inflexible but the tactics we've seen this season haven't been anything out of the ordinary anyway and we've had as many tactics that have back-fired as those that have worked well.  The tactics worked well against Stoke, they failed against Brighton.  I can't to this day work out what our tactics were against Norwich and I doubt many people can either yet they worked against Man U.

What a ridiculous point that is. Pardew made Krul the number one, Pardew turned a defence consisting of the Taylors (both massively criticised by fans in the past) and Danny Simpson into one of the tightest defences in the league. The other member of that back 5 he made captain, and Colo has subsequently revelled in a leadership role. You say "look at those players he has got to work with" yet most people's expectations of him as a manager and the squad at the start of the season was bottom half at best. He has done fantastically well and would do a hell of a lot better if certain fans stopped being so bloody pessimistic.

He is not the best in game manager and frequently gets things wrong but so does everybody else. Get off his back and just enjoy one of the better teams we have seen walk out at SJP before Ashley wanders in with his sledgehammer again to ruin it.

8 teams in the league have as good or better home record for goals against and 11 have as good or better away record for goals against as we have. 

We're actually 9th overall in the goals against league.

What does stability bring?  I ask the question because I don't think it matters as much when a club has a scouting system which identifies the transfers.  I agree stability doesn't mean being tactically inflexible but the tactics we've seen this season haven't been anything out of the ordinary anyway and we've had as many tactics that have back-fired as those that have worked well.  The tactics worked well against Stoke, they failed against Brighton.  I can't to this day work out what our tactics were against Norwich and I doubt many people can either yet they worked against Man U.

Tactics versus Man Utd were hoof the ball up but play it on the deck when in their half imo.  Ironically the tactics Allardyce always claims to play.

Tactics versus Man Utd were hoof the ball up but play it on the deck when in their half imo.  Ironically the tactics Allardyce always claims to play.

The hoofing against Man U made a bit of sense with the strong wind firmly in our favour. I don't like it generally though.

The hoofing against Man U made a bit of sense with the strong wind firmly in our favour. I don't like it generally though.

:thup: When it works, it works.  Obviously easier to accept against superior teams as well.

Firstly at HTT - Long posts  O0 I may or may not agree with the content of your post but at least I get to understand where you coming from and why.

I am on the fence where Pardew is concerned.

He has either orchestrated or played a part in many good things during his time here which as a fan I appreciate. For me, on the pitch - most notably tightening up the defence, getting the team to work harder for each other and pressing the opposition. Off the pitch he rarely says the wrong things and together with the type of characters brought into the team, we no longer find ourselves in the papers for all the wrong reasons. Many of the other good things have been mentioned by other posters in this thread and I agree with them without wishing to repeat them here again.

I am however frustrated and concerned by the habitual selection errors, the tactical tinkering (very worrying), the handling of arguably our most talented player (HBA) and sometimes negative approach to certain games.

I hope having our full strength XI available will alleviate some (hopefully all) of these concerns. The team should in reality select itself and the formation should be simple with the ultimate objective of ensuring that possession goes through our most creative players so that they can service our strike force. (Best on the left is like putting Mr Bean as the lead actor in Mission Impossible)

So will wait till the end of the campaign and pass judgement then.

It's good to see we can have this discussion without people throwing toys out of the pram.  The manager, like every other person at the football club should be open for discussion and people will always have different opinions and so they should.

i think many are in the same position re pardew in that we don't think he's using his resources as good as he should but has us in a position most of us wouldn't have thought our resources were capable of.

i think many are in the same position re pardew in that we don't think he's using his resources as good as he should but has us in a position most of us wouldn't have thought our resources were capable of.

And is that due to us showing resolve and picking up scrappy wins for the most part?

Strangely enough I think I expected better performances and worse results.

And is that due to us showing resolve and picking up scrappy wins for the most part?

Strangely enough I think I expected better performances and worse results.

good teams show resolve. apart from QPR away i don't think we've really got anything we didn't deserve (except maybe not picking up wins at villa and home to swansea)

Would be interested to hear your opinion Mick, do you think Pardew's the favourite for the England job if Redknapp's not in the running for one reason or another?

I honestly don't know what to make of Pardew and yes I think if the FA is to appoint an English manager then he must be in the top two or three.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up as England or Spurs manager if saggy face gets the England job.

Like Madras has just said, I don't think we've got the best out of our players but being 6th in the league defies my gut feelings as I didn't expect that at the start of the season and still don't expect to finish that high.  Having said that, we're capable of finishing where we are and even slightly higher if we have a bit of luck with injuries and players perform.

Based on league position we’re doing very well, based on performances I don’t think that’s true so it’s too early to write him off or hail him as being something he’s not.

He’s got me baffled, I just can’t work him out yet.

it may be necessary to put it into perspective with other teams performances, no one has been great, the supposed top teams  have been attacked and maybe, just maybe, we've realised that they are beatable if you have a go.

Guest Brendan_Rice

Do the scouts identify the transfers though? Would they not be sent out with a position to fill? Surely most other clubs scouting systems would be the same.

I think stability is important but I take your point, there are a few tactical question marks over Pardew. Out of interest I looked up how he stacked up against previous managers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Newcastle_United_F.C._managers

His win% doesn't stack up too bad, Hughton's is obviously a lot higher because we were in the championship, what do you think?

Do the scouts identify the transfers though? Would they not be sent out with a position to fill? Surely most other clubs scouting systems would be the same.

I think stability is important but I take your point, there are a few tactical question marks over Pardew. Out of interest I looked up how he stacked up against previous managers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Newcastle_United_F.C._managers

His win% doesn't stack up too bad, Hughton's is obviously a lot higher because we were in the championship, what do you think?

Been done over the last few pages mate.