Alan Pardew

JH

I'm just angry so many people are turning on Pardew when we are in 6th place, how do we know why he doesn't play Ben Arfa? we know he has off field problems and there can be other reasons too, we've also had terrible luck with injuries, and with a fully fit squad under Pardew we could easily be 4th right now.

You're angry because some people don't share your inflated opinion of Pardew.  :lol:

I've noticed those that are more critical of Pardew offer good analysis of his faults, the team's etc. and basically debate these things whereas those that defend him have little to say other than we are 6th, we were in the Championship 2 years aho or we have a limited squad.

People need to clear their heads of such thoughts and look at our performances, his tactics, the way we play football, our team selections and even his subs. Focus on those things and tell me where he is going right and doing well?

Good point and true but I can see why many people want to just deal in the absolute end result. After the shit we've had to put up with over the last 7 years or so many (including myself, even if I'm questioning Pardew more and more) are just delighted to be 6th in the league, picking up results on a consistant basis and having some really decent players in the side.

For all the criticisms of Pardew's football the simple argument of 'it's only the results that matter' holds just as much weight and I can totally understand people who take that standpoint.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've noticed those that are more critical of Pardew offer good analysis of his faults, the team's etc. and basically debate these things whereas those that defend him have little to say other than we are 6th, we were in the Championship 2 years aho or we have a limited squad.

People need to clear their heads of such thoughts and look at our performances, his tactics, the way we play football, our team selections and even his subs. Focus on those things and tell me where he is going right and doing well?

:thup:

Saying that we've had far worse than Pardew. everyone bar a couple of crazies know he has some clear faults, but he also has good qualities, even if they seem hard to spot right now. i mean most s**** british managers would've kept Nolan at the club and built the side around him, whereas Pardew got rid and brought in a more talented player. Of course Cabaye has been misused but at least the intent was there.

I honestly think if Pardew had any real say or influence in terms of player recruitment or who stays and goes, he'd have kept Barton and Nolan. Finances dictated that we got rid of Nolan and Barton's attack on the board dictated that he went. I cannot think of one positive Pardew brings to this club. Work-rate and team spirit should be a given regardless of manager and the least we should accept. Tactically he's useless. match preperation seems to be a strong point of his but are we really that perpared? I don't think we are. He talks a good game I'll give him that. For me he's winging it and is being found at as each games draws a close. If we persist with pardew long-term, we will not evolve as a footballing entity which could lead to our better players wanting away never mind being sold by the board. Cabaye looks a frustrated player and Ben Arfa will be itching to get away if he keeps being ignored for the likes of R.Taylor and Obertan.

Aye ok. It was all to do with the squad, so I'll be expecting a win better than 5-1 next week because this is a better squad.

See now you're putting words in my mouth. Credit to Hughton for bonding them but that squad was so full of talent- it even got a boost in January when we signed Hall, Van Aanholt and one of the best wingers in that league.

I think citing the Championship season is such a redundant concept, but then it fits the agenda and the means you're after. Pardew won't have a situation like that so we can't directly compare the two.

Now of course you're using a more flippant approach with reference to the 5-1, but even that is redundant. They're on an upward turn, with a good manager and a slightly improved squad. They have more than one goals outlet so it's a totally different game.

Pardew like any manager has his flaws, but as it stands we're going to finish in the top 10. He gets things wrong, but I bet if you look at some Hughton match-threads there are people saying "Why didn't he do X"  or "Why did we try this style?"

We've still got a lot of work to do if we want to challenge the top 8. Yes this season has worked, but there are still some players who just can't do what we're after (Simpson, Williamson most notably). Yes this is a blip, but as I feared when he joined- every mole hill becomes a mountain with Pardew.

I think there are one or two similarities with the Championship season and this one. Even though we picked up great results a division down, for the first few months the football was pretty fucking crap. we basically got by because the other sides were abysmal, spurned chances and made mistakes, and of course because we had an excellent squad in comparison. So i think hughton got a fair bit of criticism in those early stages - albeit a recognition he was making us difficult to beat and so on.

So that's not a million miles from our experience this season - we've picked up some good results and find ourselves in a pretty good position, but the football's not excelled. we seem to get by less on good football or excellent tactical approaches and more on organisation/solidity (which has disappeared somewhat) and the brilliance of a couple of individuals.

Thing is hughton started to change things half way through that season - shifted guthrie inside, got routledge and turned carroll into the player who would later command a £35m fee. we played some excellent stuff later on in the championship season.

i know it's not exactly a fair comparison as the premiership is way tougher, but people gave Hughton as just as hard a time as Pardew is getting now because performances weren't right and didnt match the quality we had. he changed it around, improved how we looked as a team and then took it into the next season, developing a system that got the best out of players like Nolan, Barton and Carroll. I'd like to see Pardew attempt something similar from now to the end of the season.

Guest bimpy474

Aye ok. It was all to do with the squad, so I'll be expecting a win better than 5-1 next week because this is a better squad.

See now you're putting words in my mouth. Credit to Hughton for bonding them but that squad was so full of talent- it even got a boost in January when we signed Hall, Van Aanholt and one of the best wingers in that league.

I think citing the Championship season is such a redundant concept, but then it fits the agenda and the means you're after. Pardew won't have a situation like that so we can't directly compare the two.

Now of course you're using a more flippant approach with reference to the 5-1, but even that is redundant. They're on an upward turn, with a good manager and a slightly improved squad. They have more than one goals outlet so it's a totally different game.

Pardew like any manager has his flaws, but as it stands we're going to finish in the top 10. He gets things wrong, but I bet if you look at some Hughton match-threads there are people saying "Why didn't he do X"  or "Why did we try this style?"

We've still got a lot of work to do if we want to challenge the top 8. Yes this season has worked, but there are still some players who just can't do what we're after (Simpson, Williamson most notably). Yes this is a blip, but as I feared when he joined- every mole hill becomes a mountain with Pardew.

I think there are one or two similarities with the Championship season and this one. Even though we picked up great results a division down, for the first few months the football was pretty fucking crap. we basically got by because the other sides were abysmal, spurned chances and made mistakes, and of course because we had an excellent squad in comparison. So i think hughton got a fair bit of criticism in those early stages - albeit a recognition he was making us difficult to beat and so on.

So that's not a million miles from our experience this season - we've picked up some good results and find ourselves in a pretty good position, but the football's not excelled. we seem to get by less on good football or excellent tactical approaches and more on organisation/solidity (which has disappeared somewhat) and the brilliance of a couple of individuals.

Thing is hughton started to change things half way through that season - shifted guthrie inside, got routledge and turned carroll into the player who would later command a £35m fee. we played some excellent stuff later on in the championship season.

i know it's not exactly a fair comparison as the premiership is way tougher, but people gave Hughton as just as hard a time as Pardew is getting now because performances weren't right and didnt match the quality we had. he changed it around, improved how we looked as a team and then took it into the next season, developing a system that got the best out of players like Nolan, Barton and Carroll. I'd like to see Pardew attempt something similar from now to the end of the season.

Me too but Pardew is far more arrogant and has a much bigger ego than Chris, to the detriment of the team at the moment.

Good point and true but I can see why many people want to just deal in the absolute end result. After the s*** we've had to put up with over the last 7 years or so many (including myself, even if I'm questioning Pardew more and more) are just delighted to be 6th in the league, picking up results on a consistant basis and having some really decent players in the side.

For all the criticisms of Pardew's football the simple argument of 'it's only the results that matter' holds just as much weight and I can totally understand people who take that standpoint.

I will never understand why people follow football only for the result.  The result is the most important part of the game but the performance comes a close second for me.

I've said numerous times this season that our close home victories 2-1 Everton, Fulham, Villa, 1-0 QPR, Wigan etc have been 'paper over cracks' results. Not one of those games did we really deserve to win, even though we did, and our league placing is seeing the benefits.

Still, i'd rather we win them than not at all.

It makes me sick the Pardew bullshit he span over the summer "I'm going to get them playing football", when in fact today's performance was one of the biggest hoofball ones we've produced in years.

Football Manager children.

Boo hoo, my team didn't win a game they probably should have.

What a bunch of arseholes.

I love the rational point built on substance, well done.  :slowclap:

Hope you don't hurt yourself when you climb down off your high horse  :iamatwat:

A team that is talked about as challenging for Europe should beat the 18th placed team.  I guess today was just another one off though.

A team that is talked about as challenging for Europe should beat the 18th placed team.  I guess today was just another one off though.

Of course they should have, but they didn't. That happens in football leagues all over the World, and makes this game so great.

Of course they should have, but they didn't. That happens in football leagues all over the World, and makes this game so great.

Wolves were terrible yet they were allowed to come back from being 2 goals behind.  Our starting line-up was wrong, our tactics were wrong and the substitutions were wrong.

Reading throught the last few pages, I think people are finally getting it about Pardew.

Just too much of it is based on percentages and keeping solid, hoping Ba/a.n.other does summat upfront.

Hope today isn't the start of the proper slide.

Good point and true but I can see why many people want to just deal in the absolute end result. After the s*** we've had to put up with over the last 7 years or so many (including myself, even if I'm questioning Pardew more and more) are just delighted to be 6th in the league, picking up results on a consistant basis and having some really decent players in the side.

fucking hell. Has to be the first balanced viewpoint in this entire thread :lol:

Wolves were terrible yet they were allowed to come back from being 2 goals behind.  Our starting line-up was wrong, our tactics were wrong and the substitutions were wrong.

Maybe so, but that's football. Even the very best teams/managers don't win all the time.

:lol: funny because that was the post of an arsehole

Possibly, but an arsehole who was watching football and this club before you were even thought of.