Alan Pardew

JH

OK looking at the quote again then perhaps he means not many players are lucky enough to play for Newcastle and even fewer will be lucky enough to play for us in Europe, with big crowds behind them, etc.  I dunno, if he meant it as it reads then it's another shit quote to throw on the pile.

Maybe he was more meaning some of the players (Perch in particular) should feel lucky to be at a club that is competing for European places.

That's how I read it.

It's the whole 'settling' thing that's annoying me still. We get a goal, sometimes 2, and that's it. We've done enough (in Pardew's mind) to win the game so we just settle for seeing the game out by getting bodies behind the ball, keeping our shape and seeing the game out. We invite the pressure and look ragged as fuck by about 75 minutes so we're hanging on for the result.

Why can't we just keep hold of the ball, knock it about and go for 3 or 4 and blow teams away? Is it arrogance, thinking we're good enough to soak it up for an hour without conceding or is it cowardice? A manager who is shit scared of losing and is transmitting his fear into his team?

Something's not right. Earlier in the season we had nothing to lose and went after teams, home and away, playing 2 wingers and 2 strikers and tried to play football and we were doing quite nicely. Suddenly we hit November and it's all about preserving what we've earned rather than continue doing the things that have got us to such a good position in the first fucking place.

Don't understand it. Or him. 

Maybe he was more meaning some of the players (Perch in particular) should feel lucky to be at a club that is competing for European places.

That's so clearly what he meant, I don't know how you could read in another way to be honest.

Guest neesy111

That's so clearly what he meant, I don't know how you could read in another way to be honest.

It's quite easy to with the shite Pardew spouts most of the time tbh.

Come off it man, if Kieron Richardson said "The gaffer said last week that not many people get the chance to get into Europe with a club like Sunderland" then I'd laugh my tits off and say "No shit".

Guest neesy111

Quite clearly.

No, no, no. He means a club like Newcastle shouldn't be 6th, top 6, SIXTH!

:lol:

Since the other side of the debate asks stupid hypothetical questions, I'm going to indulge in one:

If we got a new owner (a good one, on a par with someone like Short), would anyone want Pardew to continue as manager next season?

Would I be right to think if we do hold on to 6th, it's our joint 7th best season since we last won the title? (5th one season in the 70s, the 4 top 6 finishes mid-90s and the 3 top 5 finishes under Bobby?)

EDIT: We had a season there in the 30s and a few 40s/50s.

Would I be right to think if we do hold on to 6th, it's our joint 7th best season since we last won the title? (5th one season in the 70s, the 4 top 6 finishes mid-90s and the 3 top 5 finishes under Bobby?)

Sounds like you've pretty much done the research like.

Would I be right in saying if we finish 7th, Roeder would have done a better job with less resources and playing much better football the season he got us into Europe?

Guest neesy111

Would I be right in saying if we finish 7th, Roeder would have done a better job with less resources and playing much better football the season he got us into Europe?

I knew a comparison to Roeder was going to happen. :lol:

Did Roeder spend approximately -£20m too?

The squad Roeder inherited consisted of about £50m worth of players we'd just spent out on 4-5 months earlier.

Did he do a better job than Bobby in 03-04? We accumulated 2 more points under Roeder and Souness.

Something's not right. Earlier in the season we had nothing to lose and went after teams, home and away, playing 2 wingers and 2 strikers and tried to play football and we were doing quite nicely. Suddenly we hit November and it's all about preserving what we've earned rather than continue doing the things that have got us to such a good position in the first fucking place.

Maybe he's caking it because mid season, Ashley has told him he HAS to qualify for Europe, minimum :dontknow:

Guest neesy111

Maybe he's caking it because mid season, Ashley has told him he HAS to qualify for Europe, minimum :dontknow:

Something has defiantly changed, a few have said it was that Chelsea match where we got caught on the break.

Did that actually happen?  ???