Our players

Newcastle Fan

They give a shit. They're not world-beaters and they'll get rolled over from time to time but they care and that's a good base to start from.

The difference in attitude with this squad and the one that went down 2 seasons ago is huge. Big wages  =/=   good characters.

Let's just hope it stays with Hughton going. That's my biggest worry. The best thing this team has going for it is the spirit, that they fight for each other, they share every positive that happens, and feel the pain of every bad moment. If that changes under Pardoo, then that's the point I fear we'll get dragged down. Without that spirit, we're back to the attitude that took us down.

Pards was singing the praise of Smith it is a shame his legs have gone, he cant shoot or stay on his feet when tackling. Really good footballer off the pitch.

Pardew went on: "You just can't get that, and I don't want to pay a disservice to the junior players, unless you get the senior players onside.

"They make it easy for you. Sol Campbell, (Steve) Harper, Nolan, Barton and Alan Smith. Alan Smith was as positive and effective as anyone I've met, and obviously he didn't get a game."