Our players

Newcastle Fan

Not really a big fan of starting new threads myself but something have to be said about the way they handled themselves after the sacking of Chris, top top pro's in he manner of how they went on with it and how it didn't effect their performance against Liverpool, especially at at time when you have players acting the way Tevez and all the other "super stars" act where the slightest thing will cause them to say fuck you to their clubs and leave. I was really getting desprate with the way things are in this club but their commitment and attitude gave me a real reason to fully support them from this point on, good luck to them for the rest of the season :thup:

Last season we looked like a real team for the first time in years, credit to Hughton, Calderwood and the players themselves.

Much as I'd love us to win things I think I find it easier to support a bunch of players with a great attitude and pride in the club than, for example, a Man City type team of total mercenaries with dangerously over inflated egos.

Last season we looked like a real team for the first time in years, credit to Hughton, Calderwood and the players themselves.

Much as I'd love us to win things I think I find it easier to support a bunch of players with a great attitude and pride in the club than, for example, a Man City type team of total mercenaries with dangerously over inflated egos.

100% agree with this. Obviously I'd love to see us winning things, but I couldn't imagine supporting a team like Man City. The togetherness of our squad just makes them so much more likeable.

Nolan is The Key... it's as simple as that...

I don't think I can think of a better example of "captain material" than Nolan in the league. Most captains are picked because they've either been at the club for a long time or are the clubs best player, Nolan has all the qualities that a captain 'should' have though.

Nolan is The Key... it's as simple as that...

I don't think I can think of a better example of "captain material" than Nolan in the league. Most captains are picked because they've either been at the club for a long time or are the clubs best player, Nolan has all the qualities that a captain 'should' have though.

Agree with this. He isn't our best player, but he is good at bringing the squad together and making sure the squad has the right attitude and was vital in the turn around of the squads mind-set from being overpayed pricks who didn't care about the club or even football in general much who just liked the kind of life football gave them to a squad that fights for everything and loves being at thje club. He realy is a brilliant leader.

What I love the most about this team though is that no one is so shit that its unbearable to watch in our starting 11.

I mean we have no Butt who tried to be Ronaldinho, no Edgar or that kid Huntington. No Carr, no Andy O'Brien (well sure our centrehalves can have shit games but nowhere near Andy consistent fucking up).

We have Simpson who's a decent right back. Enrique who's a very good left back. Centrehalves who might not be world beaters but gets on with it.

Midfield the same.

Our only problem is Ameobi but he stills scores the odd goal and has the odd good game.

This is a bunch of players who you enjoy watching as they're focused and give 100% most of the time. And they play well against the big teams which is a plus.

It's not the most talented squad, but hell they're fun to support.

Ameobi makes me laugh, if he didn't - I'd put him in that category sometimes.

Buy you a right, when Shola is 100% and in form, he has this unreal ability to be nearly unplayable with his lanky runs, great shot, and near-perfect penalty taking ability.

The match vs Liverpool summed it up for me...one moment he gets the ball, trips over it and loses it and then its out for a throw-in. The next he gets a nice header from AC and lays it back to him for a decent effort on goal.  Later one mintue hes looking at the bench (only see his head on the TV) they cut to something, then back to him and hes sitting on the pitch waiting for a sub. 

Hilarious, hair-pulling stuff sometimes - but I dont know why I love Shola sometimes.

Later one mintue hes looking at the bench (only see his head on the TV) they cut to something,

What TV is that?

Urm, sorry - was watching on FSC in the States and the shot on the camera feed was Shola's head dead-center looking back. *cut to something* then next shot hes sitting on the ground.

Nolan really makes me appreciate what an incredibly awful choice Michael Owen was for captain.

I genuinely like all our players. There is something endearingly despicable about Joey Barton. I just love the guy.

Was it not KK that made him captain? I remember at the time we were struggling for leaders but he is the opposite of one. Disgusting little loach.

Guest Stephen927

It is very important that we are careful in the transfer market and we continue to find that balance between talent and attitude. It is difficult and you'll always end up with a few nobheads at any club in the world but we have a good core now of players who know their duties no matter what is going on elsewhere. What you hope is that any incoming players take on the same kind of attitude when they see the example set.

Nolan really makes me appreciate what an incredibly awful choice Michael Owen was for captain.

I genuinely like all our players. There is something endearingly despicable about Joey Barton. I just love the guy.

Was it not KK that made him captain? I remember at the time we were struggling for leaders but he is the opposite of one. Disgusting little loach.

Was a strange choice. Well, not really strange, we know he done it to coerce him into staying.

But Nolan is a fantastic leader. What he lacks on the pitch skill wise, he more than makes up for in his leadership.

I do love this team right now, just such a likeable group of lads.

Was a strange choice. Well, not really strange, we know he done it to coerce him into staying.

But Nolan is a fantastic leader. What he lacks on the pitch skill wise, he more than makes up for in his leadership.

I do love this team right now, just such a likeable group of lads.

They're all playing for the right reasons and look like they feel it when they score/concede. For example Krul's reaction on Saturday when Carroll got the third, Tiote and Williamson looking mortified against Blackburn when they dropped clangers for both goals.

Owen was the worst Newcatle captain in my lifetime. Disgusting excuse of a man.

Nolan isn't a great player but as a captain I think he's the most inspiring and liked character since the days of Bazza Venison.

They give a shit. They're not world-beaters and they'll get rolled over from time to time but they care and that's a good base to start from.

The difference in attitude with this squad and the one that went down 2 seasons ago is huge. Big wages  =/=  good characters.

The players can't be faulted for this mess, but they could've well hid, and concentrated more on getting moves away from this poison cloud.  One game only, but it appears that they are not going to allow 2008-09 to happen again, despite Ashley's best efforts.  Agreed that this is the most likable squad we've had in awhile. 

Gotta love Barton for his contradictions.  Seems an incisive, yet humble guy in his interviews, but we all know that he is a lit powder keg, ready to do something completely insane at any time...like a Hun in a Roman bath.

Guest guinness_fiend

They give a s***. They're not world-beaters and they'll get rolled over from time to time but they care and that's a good base to start from.

The difference in attitude with this squad and the one that went down 2 seasons ago is huge. Big wages  =/=   good characters.

Taaaaaaaaaaake a boooooooooow.