Ash Bashers

Stu

Ashley has little, if any, support from the supporters and the few good deeds he's done (rescued the club financially, addressed the structure of the club's management & organisation, implemented some sort of youth system, etc.) have been outweighed by the disasterous decisions (Keegan, Kinnear, the manner of the Hughton sacking, being found guilty of lying to the fans, Dennis Wise, etc.).

However, for all these atrocious deeds, several of our key players have consistently said that they want to stay at the club because things are going in the right direction, or that the structure of the club matches their ambitions. I'm thinking Barton, Nolan, Carroll, Taylor, etc.

Why is this?

He pays their wages and you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

They openly criticised the nature of the Hughton sacking and how it was carried out ???

Really?

I thought this was as bad as it got - http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Joey-Barton-dedicates-famous-Newcastle-win-over-Liverpool-to-the-sacked-Chris-Hughton-article649761.html

Seen a lot lot worse. They may have been "disappointed" but they're not stupid. Barton, Taylor and Nolan probably know this is likely to be the best gig and best paid gig they're going to get so they're not going to slag the owner. Saying that Barton has done everything but.

Also praising Ashley for our youth system I think is pushing it a bit. Fairly certain we had one pre-Ashley.

No problem, I usually have little time to waste on worthless, messageboard ringpieces with the obvious surname of Pidcunt

Happy to help in this case though

Guest Heneage

I find it hard to believe players would sacrifice happiness and a better career for an extra 10-15k a week in some cases. Yes some decisions have been baffling and at times infuriating in relation to managerial appointments and even the odd questionable signing (Best & Perch) but all in all the planning for the future and reduction of wages has been well thought out and implemented with a good deal of success.

Too often in the past we signed players who were coming down from a good career, (Duff, Luque, Kluivert.) at least now we are signing ones with potential for the best years ahead of them. The fact we are also looking to bring through players from our academy is something I'm quite pleased about as it's nice to see a player truly grow with a club. I think Ashley's biggest problem sometimes is his naivety is matched by his ambition he thinks it can all be done overnight and that you can just create a situation Man United have whereby even their academy's cast off's generate good amounts of money for the club.

'Rescued the club financially, addressed the structure of the club's management & organisation, implemented some sort of youth system,' - those are considerable achievements. It's a bit of a 'What have the Romans ever done for us?' type post tbh.

The big, big error, from which a lot of consequences flowed, was setting up the Keegan - Wise partnership. Never likely to succeed and it took us two years to recover.

But recover, we have, so why look backwards?

'Rescued the club financially, addressed the structure of the club's management & organisation, implemented some sort of youth system,' - those are considerable achievements. It's a bit of a 'What have the Romans ever done for us?' type post tbh.

The big, big error, from which a lot of consequences flowed, was setting up the Keegan - Wise partnership. Never likely to succeed and it took us two years to recover.

But recover, we have, so why look backwards?

That's debatable.

No problem, I usually have little time to waste on worthless, messageboard ringpieces with the obvious surname of Pidcunt

Happy to help in this case though

:lol: Are you being deliberately ironic? :lol: Fair play, but I doubt you'd even know where or how.

I agree that the ludicrous plan to combine Keegan, Wise, Vetere and Jiminez remains Ashleys biggest mistake.

Things could have been very different if Redknapp had wanted the gig.

Quite possibly because they've taken to the fans, and realise that the fans here won't turn on the players when they're trying their hardest. I also think that players like Nolan, Barton, Enrique, Smith and Jonas are the sort that always 'put a shift in' even when they're not playing particularly well, and they know that's appreciated.

No idea. Maybe certain players enjoy the underdog/siege mentality thing?

Quite possibly because they've taken to the fans, and realise that the fans here won't turn on the players when they're trying their hardest. I also think that players like Nolan, Barton, Enrique, Smith and Jonas are the sort that always 'put a shift in' even when they're not playing particularly well, and they know that's appreciated.

No idea. Maybe certain players enjoy the underdog/siege mentality thing?

Reasonable suggestion, would certainly seem to fit with the mentality that Barton seemingly has.

Going forward, surely they don't expect the club to be back in the Championship next year? Quite a few people have mooted the theory that Fat Ash is only interested in cutting costs and he doesn't mind which division we're in, etc.

If it wasn't very clear in the OP, I'm trying to reconcile how the senior players seem to have a completely different view to the direction of the club than the supporters (on N-O) do.

The senior players are given a lot of time and respect in the dressing room. They are seen as important figures at a massive premier league club - why would they have a problem with that?

Obviously fans have a slightly different viewpoint as we are now coming to terms with scrapping at the bottom of the pile for transfers and we know we won't be going for the top players as opposed to a few years ago.

If it wasn't very clear in the OP, I'm trying to reconcile how the senior players seem to have a completely different view to the direction of the club than the supporters (on N-O) do.

The current unity in the dressing room- is not by design of the ownership of the club- its a reaction to the lack of leadership. its not a vote of confidence, more a -' fuck you we will do it for ourselves' no credit for Ashley there im afraid.

The current unity in the dressing room- is not by design of the ownership of the club- its a reaction to the lack of leadership. its not a vote of confidence, more a -' fuck you we will do it for ourselves' no credit for Ashley there im afraid.

Don't disagree, but the reaction (on here especially) was that we would be up in arms at Ashley's latest cock-up and we should be considering withdrawing our support for the club while Ashley remains. The players are saying that they want to stay at the club under the current regime.

They're not oblivious to how the fans interact and their feelings about Ashley - why isn't this influencing their comments/actions?

Don't disagree, but the reaction (on here especially) was that we would be up in arms at Ashley's latest cock-up and we should be considering withdrawing our support for the club while Ashley remains. The players are saying that they want to stay at the club under the current regime.

They're not oblivious to how the fans interact and their feelings about Ashley - why isn't this influencing their comments/actions?

Cant Imangine any Employee  publicly siding with some disgruntled ccustomers, against thier employer.

Big wages on lucrative long term contracts, settled families in a lot of cases, playing for a [cringe]big[/cringe] club with a passionate support.

I know if I was a player these would be the main factors for me if I was middling Premier League player. At the end of the day they have very little to do with Ashley, Llambias and co.

Big wages on lucrative long term contracts, settled families in a lot of cases, playing for a [cringe]big[/cringe] club with a passionate support.

I know if I was a player these would be the main factors for me if I was middling Premier League player. At the end of the day they have very little to do with Ashley, Llambias and co.

For Nolan, Barton and Smith (is it me or has he been particularly quiet in the past 6months?) I can understand the wage aspect as they're (rumoured to be) on £50k+ which the club hasn't been willing to continue for newer signings.

In the case of Barton, I'd like to think that his apparent affection towards the club both in public and behind closed doors, is borne out of the patience the club have shown him (albeit, reluctantly at times) and the support he enjoys from the majority of supporters.

Nolan, middle-of-the-road Premiership player who gets to be an important cog at a [cring]big[/cringe] (nice work btw :D) club - OK, I can see why he doesn't want to rock the boat.

Carroll and Taylor - local lads angle?

Enrique - has been here since the beginning of the Ashley reign of doom but still seems to hold the club in high regard, despite being lambasted by the local media and home support during his first couple of years and having more managers/coaches than Gregg's pasties.

Ben Arfa? Originally this was all down to Hughton, so when Hughton was sacked, presumably he wouldn't be staying on...

What are we missing here? Is there a behind-the-scenes figure that is doing a lot of hard work to repair the players' trust in the direction of club (after Ashley's constant cock-ups)?