Asian Cup 2011

oldtype

I love how it' partly religious and partly cultural/political. Has good giggle value

me too, it's mental, what's it from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_civilizations

ah, well taking this into account:

"The Clash of Civilizations is a theory, proposed by political scientist Samuel P. Huntington, that people's cultural and religious identities will be the primary source of conflict in the post-Cold War world."

in a wide sense it doesn't seem he's a million miles off the mark, although obviously you have issues with the classification of Korea for good reason

I love how it' partly religious and partly cultural/political. Has good giggle value

me too, it's mental, what's it from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_civilizations

ah, well taking this into account:

"The Clash of Civilizations is a theory, proposed by political scientist Samuel P. Huntington, that people's cultural and religious identities will be the primary source of conflict in the post-Cold War world."

in a wide sense it doesn't seem he's a million miles off the mark, although obviously you have issues with the classification of Korea for good reason

I don't particularly mind being classified as part of the "Chinese Civilization," as if you're painting cultural zones as widely as he is that's inevitably where we'd fall. Completely random that Japan for some reason gets classified separately though. They're the only one-state civilization out of the whole bunch. I guess he just really liked Anime or something. :lol:

The book is actually decently insightful if you just take it as an opinion piece from one smart, old, white guy on what's going on in the world. Starts falling apart when you try to hold it to scholarly standards but that wasn't what it was written as. Map is of course just completely arbitrary and hilarious whichever way you look at it.

Seriously, there's nothing sinister here. Just saying that most people from other places in the world wouldn't know the difference between Persian and Arabic, just like none of you would be interested if I gave you my two hour spiel on how Koreans are ethnically and culturally distinct from the Chinese.

On the other hand, many people are informed and inquisitive - some people might even understand the difference in connotation between "no difference between Koreans and Chinese" as opposed to "no difference between Koreans and Japanese"...

To be fair, without google sat in front of them, I can't say I know many people who would have said Iran is not Arabic with any authority on the subject. Most wouldn't even know. There's nothing wrong with not knowing something most people don't know and later admitting it and apologising.

Generalising about how Arab nations play football really is no better or worse than generalising how hispanic people play football. Football has different styles around the world. You could quite easily say to anyone in Northern Europe that hispanic players play-act far too much and the vast majority of people would nod in agreement. It would take a matter of seconds to find similar comments on these boards where noone has reacted.

Seriously, there's nothing sinister here. Just saying that most people from other places in the world wouldn't know the difference between Persian and Arabic, just like none of you would be interested if I gave you my two hour spiel on how Koreans are ethnically and culturally distinct from the Chinese.

On the other hand, many people are informed and inquisitive - some people might even understand the difference in connotation between "no difference between Koreans and Chinese" as opposed to "no difference between Koreans and Japanese"...

To be fair, without google sat in front of them, I can't say I know many people who would have said Iran is not Arabic with any authority on the subject. Most wouldn't even know. There's nothing wrong with not knowing something most people don't know and later admitting it and apologising.

I made two errors - firstly not providing a safety wink.

Secondly, I teach history for a living, and I admit to treating oldtype as I would one of my students - his "mini-rant" demonstrated a trait I don't tolerate from students: wilful ignorance. He's lucky I didn't assign him a 500 word essay on the difference between Arabs and Persians, to be read out in class tomorrow ;)

I do apologise for treating you thus, oldtype. My only defence is that the new school year starts next week and I'm getting warmed up :lol:

It seems I've stumbled across something of a grudge from N-O's GCC contingent :lol:

If you don't like my mini-rants here's a full on one. Arabic players dive and play-act so much they make Stevie G look honest. Arabic  teams play 10 behind the ball and then engage in disgraceful time wasting until the final whistle the minute they nick a goal.  Arabic refs blatantly favor Arabic teams to an embarrassing degree for both international and club competitions. And Arabic nations have used their money and influence to wrest control of AFC and ensure that a blind eye is turned to all of this time and time again.

If you can't take the banter just get out.

And f*** me I'm honestly curious here, if they're not Arabic what on Earth is the proper cultural and geographical classification to be used for Iran? Enlighten me.

:lol: Never really cared much for S Korea footballing wise. Was always a neutral when it came to most of your games and even wanted you to beat Greece in the WC. Now that I know your true feelings, I will support anyone playing against S Korea with the power of a thousand suns :lol:

always thought east asians were racist and sort of up themselves a bit. now i know it  O0

I made two errors - firstly not providing a safety wink.

Secondly, I teach history for a living, and I admit to treating oldtype as I would one of my students - his "mini-rant" demonstrated a trait I don't tolerate from students: wilful ignorance. He's lucky I didn't assign him a 500 word essay on the difference between Arabs and Persians, to be read out in class tomorrow ;)

I do apologise for treating you thus, oldtype. My only defence is that the new school year starts next week and I'm getting warmed up :lol:

I guess I'm kind of offended that you decided to treat me like a 16-year-old but I guess I'll be charitable since we'll be destroying you in little over 27 hours time now. O0

Seriously, I really wish people wouldn't over-react about this, I would hope people know me well enough to know that I'm not some sort of racist charver mong and really the only part of the original post I was serious about was the fact that I sincerely hate Arabic (AND Perisan!) Football teams.  :pow:

:lol: Never really cared much for S Korea footballing wise. Was always a neutral when it came to most of your games and even wanted you to beat Greece in the WC. Now that I know your true feelings, I will support anyone playing against S Korea with the power of a thousand suns :lol:

always thought east asians were racist and sort of up themselves a bit. now i know it  O0

I have nothing against your people, just how you go about playing football. You're basically accusing somebody of being anti-semetic just because they can't stand Tottenham Hotspur.

Really, who's being prejudiced here Mr. "I always thought East Asians were racist"? :lol:

I guess I'm kind of offended that you decided to treat me like a 16-year-old but I guess I'll be charitable since we'll be destroying you in little over 27 hours time now. O0

Seriously, I really wish people wouldn't over-react about this, I would hope people know me well enough to know that I'm not some sort of racist charver mong and really the only part of the original post I was serious about was the fact that I sincerely hate Arabic (AND Perisan!) Football teams.  :pow:

If you don't put at least two past our lumbering centre-halves while keeping a clean sheet against our "midfielder as a sole striker" attack, you're not going to win this tournament.

For all the crap in the Australian media about winning this tournament, our old and impotent team will be lucky to make it past the quarter finals. There's no shame in losing to South Korea (or one of the other decent teams in the competition). Football in Australia would be better served by losing to a quality, professional opponent than going all the way with the rag-tag collection we've sent to Qatar...

I have nothing against your people, just how you go about playing football. You're basically accusing somebody of being anti-semetic just because they can't stand Tottenham Hotspur.

Really, who's being prejudiced here Mr. "I always thought East Asians were racist"? :lol:

First of all, you're the one who said if you can't take the banter, to get out. I was going to add "ignorant" to the above comment, but decided against it. I kind of said a similar thing to raconteur there, but a little more harshly :lol:

Lebanon didn't (and don't usually) qualify so I couldn't really give a shit who wins the tournament, and I wouldn't say that Lebanese money ever got us any favorable refs. A lot unlike WC2002  :crazy2:

Oh and you can accuse me of anything you want, but fuck tottenham hotspur and all tottenham supporters  :clap2:

If you don't put at least two past our lumbering centre-halves while keeping a clean sheet against our "midfielder as a sole striker" attack, you're not going to win this tournament.

For all the crap in the Australian media about winning this tournament, our old and impotent team will be lucky to make it past the quarter finals. There's no shame in losing to South Korea (or one of the other decent teams in the competition). Football in Australia would be better served by losing to a quality, professional opponent than going all the way with the rag-tag collection we've sent to Qatar...

I agree that we have the better team but I'd never underestimate our capability to self-destruct against big, physical "European" sides.

I've seen enough of Korean defenders struggling to mark Ognenovski on set-pieces to make me less than fully confident about this.

Posting this in here because I know Old Type will see it & maybe other Koreans

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2011/01/11/korean-fans-epic-bid-to-see-newcastle-united-72703-27966082/

Come on Toon Korea!!! Old Type are you on the picture

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jan2011/0/2/dedicated-newcastle-united-fans-toon-korea-in-their-magpie-strips-34880281.jpg

RE: this article, turns out one of our members came across Alastair Craig on Twitter and he asked for an interview. Apparently he asked for permission to "paraphrase for editing purposes," and the following is the result :lol:

"We don't have any specific plans to visit SJP but that's definitely something we'd like to do some day."

-> Dozens of members of Toon Korea are planning an epic trip to the turnstiles for a home game at St James’ Park.

"I think we have around 2000~3000 members"

->The fans’ group was launched by Jeongki Yoon in honour of his beloved Newcastle United and has 3,000 followers. (He never actually said he was the founder. In fact, he's not.)

"We keep up with things through TV or text coverage and a member on our forum translates articles off the internet"

->If the game is not available on TV we’ll try to follow by reading live internet updates on the Chronicle’s website and on Twitter. We read the Chronicle every day on the web. :mackems:

Just in case you needed more evidence of the remarkable journalistic integrity of the Chronicle. :facepalm:

We hang out at www.nufc.co.kr by the way. Everything's in Korean but it's navigate-able in English so if anyone is bothered I think people would get a kick out of it if you posted something. :lol:

Real Madrid top, hope they put 5 past him too  :angry: :p

We played the Real Madrid supporters club about six months ago. We lost something like 17-1 :lol:

f***ing hell, was Cronaldo spending his holidays in Korea? :lol:

Well, multitude of factors. They're pretty close to an actual amateur football club in that they have regular practice sessions etc. We're just a bunch of lads who get together for a kickabout once a month or so.

Also they draw from a pool of members that's several times larger than ours. You can imagine how there would be quite a bit more Real Madrid fans than Newcastle fans in this country.

We played the Real Madrid supporters club about six months ago. We lost something like 17-1 :lol:

Well, multitude of factors. They're pretty close to an actual amateur football club in that they have regular practice sessions etc. We're just a bunch of lads who get together for a kickabout once a month or so.

Also they draw from a pool of members that's several times larger than ours. You can imagine how there would be quite a bit more Real Madrid fans than Newcastle fans in this country.

What are the biggest foreign clubs in there? The only Korean football fans I met are all Manchester United fans.

What are the biggest foreign clubs in there? The only Korean football fans I met are all Manchester United fans.

Man United is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else for obvious reasons. Basically most Koreans with a passing interest in European football are Man United "fans."

After that it's probably Liverpool, Arsenal, Real, Milan, Inter, and Juventus. Chelsea isn't popular at all for some reason and Barca is surprisingly underappreciated.

Newcastle is probably the fourth most popular Premiership club, shockingly enough