One attacking player - who do you want?

Dave

Guest Tall Striker

I think our midfield is fine at the moment, certainly got enough there to see us through the season. A good striker on loan to partner Carroll is what we need the most right now.

It seems that every single year there's a case with 'second-season' syndrome. Some team comes up and flies, then drops like an absolute stone within the next two. It always, always happens. This year there's two, with it Birmingham and Wolves. The former really surprises me cos i think McLeish has built a really strong side there.

Whenever i see El Hamdaoui playing he looks brilliant, really top drawer i don't know if it's because "it's only Eredivisie" or not but i would love to see him get a proper go somewhere in the Premier League.

It seems that every single year there's a case with 'second-season' syndrome. Some team comes up and flies, then drops like an absolute stone within the next two. It always, always happens. This year there's two, with it Birmingham and Wolves. The former really surprises me cos i think McLeish has built a really strong side there.

strong but have trouble scoring goals zigic hasn't worked out for them

Still think they'll be fine like.

Need to get rid of some of the players they have - too many 'experienced professionals' - a few is good for the team and leadership, but they've got too many - Carr, Bowyer, Ferguson, Hleb, Phillips etc. They can't do two good games in the space of a couple of days (like the Man U and Arsenal games) because they're knackered.

Whenever i see El Hamdaoui playing he looks brilliant, really top drawer i don't know if it's because "it's only Eredivisie" or not but i would love to see him get a proper go somewhere in the Premier League.

Wasn't any great shakes when he was at Spurs, but he never settled in England and wanted back to Holland.  He was young then though.

Guest kingdawson

Wasn't any great shakes when he was at Spurs, but he never settled in England and wanted back to Holland.   He was young then though.

He didn't get a chance. It's hard work trying to impress when you're not even getting sub appearances. I remember him looking the business in a friendly, then he went on loan to Derby where the Derby fans thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. The rave reviews he was getting up there was something else.

Injuries sure didn't help but he looked a damn good player even at that young age (so much so that Frank Arnesen openly admitted he wanted to take El Hamdoui with him to Chelsea when he left us).

How on earth can people in this thread be shouting for names like Keane, Bentley, SWP, Santa Cruz.  They all have Duff, Viduka and Smith written all over them...  We have been down the path of trying the left overs from bigger clubs and it never ends well. Lets keep going for Tiotes, Ben Arfas and Carrolls. Homegrown talent, foreign talent and foreign bargains. Most important - go for players that are going somwhere, not for players leaving something..

Can we not just view each player by their own merits rather than write them off immediately because they've been with a better team than us and are over 26? If we could get either Keane on loan or get Bentley on a good deal, I'd give those two a shot. Can't see either happening but that's a different argument. No one's talking about only going for those types of players again and screwing the younger players out of the first team, but a good balance does need to be struck imo.

Per Ciljan Skjelbred

Heard he's got a bit of a soft spot for us, reckon we've got a chance?

Hes not been good the last 2 seasons sadly..