FA reject unfair dismissal appeal from NUFC for Cheik Tiote

Crumpy Gunt
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How can you intend to hurt a player by lunging for the ball and the player contesting the tackle is running next to you?

I've seen this mentioned a few times. I'm completely baffled how anyone can say they're running next to each other or in the same direction. They come together at almost 90 degrees.

How can you intend to hurt a player by lunging for the ball and the player contesting the tackle is running next to you?

Because he got the player as well, hence why the player went to ground. He didn't trip over thin air.

Although it was a good tackle, it could easily have gone wrong. Nee chance of it getting rescinded.

It's not about whether he won the ball or how close he is to the player, it's about the INTENT in which he went flying in, off the ground. It was like a f***ing karate kick.

This, however, is balls. His intent was what he executed: take advantage of a loose touch by jumping in front of the player and hooking the ball. It was still dangerous, however.

If it goes wrong then you send him off. It's like any tackle man. If you slide in the box and win the ball, it's no penalty. If you slide in the box and miss the ball, it is a penalty. There's no, "Oooh, but he might have got the timing wrong let's give a penalty anyway". Same should apply here imo.

What about if you elbow/punch someone and don't make contact?

Eh? :lol: But that's clearly intent to hurt the other player. There was no intent whatsoever on Tiote's part to hurt their player, he didn't hurt their player, and he won the ball cleanly.

It's the act which gets punished, not the outcome though.

So all tackles should be a yellow or red card?

Although it was a good tackle, it could easily have gone wrong. Nee chance of it getting rescinded.

It's not about whether he won the ball or how close he is to the player, it's about the INTENT in which he went flying in, off the ground. It was like a f***ing karate kick.

This, however, is balls. His intent was what he executed: take advantage of a loose touch by jumping in front of the player and hooking the ball. It was still dangerous, however.

If it goes wrong then you send him off. It's like any tackle man. If you slide in the box and win the ball, it's no penalty. If you slide in the box and miss the ball, it is a penalty. There's no, "Oooh, but he might have got the timing wrong let's give a penalty anyway". Same should apply here imo.

Eh? :lol: But that's clearly intent to hurt the other player. There was no intent whatsoever on Tiote's part to hurt their player, he didn't hurt their player, and he won the ball cleanly.

It's the act which gets punished, not the outcome though. Look at Ronaldo's red card against Man City a few years back on YouTube.

Ronaldo was nowhere near winning the ball and the City player had to jump to avoid the challenge. Nothing like the Tiote tackle.

Yes. Yes they should.

Where does he say that? :lol:

His intent was clearly to win the ball, the outcome was that he clearly did win the ball. The opponent wasn't hurt.

I would hope an appeal based on that would have a decent chance.

Why? Not every potential leg-breaker is because the player is fucking evil or out to kill the opponent. People are clumsy, they're over-eager,  etc. The end result of a over-eager tackle which breaks a leg is the same as the Roy Keane leg-breaking type of tackle.

So are you saying we should judge the tackle on the intent? Or the outcome? Or all possible potential outcomes?

His intent was clearly to win the ball, the outcome was that he clearly did win the ball. The opponent wasn't hurt.

I would hope an appeal based on that would have a decent chance.

Why? Not every potential leg-breaker is because the player is fucking evil or out to kill the opponent. People are clumsy, they're over-eager,  etc. The end result of a over-eager tackle which breaks a leg is the same as the Roy Keane leg-breaking type of tackle.

So are you saying we should judge the tackle on the intent? Or the outcome? Or all possible potential outcomes?

If it's dangerous, it's dangerous regardless of intent.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I've seen this mentioned a few times. I'm completely baffled how anyone can say they're running next to each other or in the same direction. They come together at almost 90 degrees.

No they don't

In the last 5 metes they are virtually side by side. Tiote gets to the ball and is in the process of hooking the ball back with his heel as the Stevenage falls over the back of his legs.

No they don't

In the last 5 metes they are virtually side by side. Tiote gets to the ball and is in the process of hooking the ball back with his heel as the Stevenage falls over the back of his legs.

Watch it again then. Because Tiote runs AT him, they're never side by side. They'd only be side by side if Tiote was running from behind or in front - he comes from the other side of the pitch.

No they don't

Okay, I definitely haven't seen it.

No they don't

Watch it again then. Because Tiote runs AT him, they're never side by side. They'd only be side by side if Tiote was running from behind or in front - he comes from the other side of the pitch.

You need to go to Specsavers. ASAP.

There has been quite an amount of tackles these days where the player wins the ball and also takes down the player without being punished, this is no different. This is another case of the momentum taking the player down, he clearly wins the ball. You can put every penny you own on it not being turned over though.

Because he got the player as well, hence why the player went to ground. He didn't trip over thin air.

Its a contact sport...

So let me get this right, because he left the ground its deemed reckless even tho he won the ball but the two bit tramp made a meal of it its red end of?

These pricks are ruining football tbh.

Soon they will be all running around in ballet pumps...

Fa have no stones so its definately not gonna be overturned...just a bunch of mongs.

I thought the punishment was based on what did happen not what might have happened.

You can be punished on intent rather than on what actually happens.

The intent was to win the ball without hurting their player. He did what he intended to do. Where's the red card offence there?

So let me get this right, because he left the ground its deemed reckless even tho he won the ball but the two bit tramp made a meal of it its red end of?

These pricks are ruining football tbh.

Soon they will be all running around in ballet pumps...

Fa have no stones so its definately not gonna be overturned...just a bunch of mongs.

We're getting there. :thup:

Put it this way...

Tiote wins ball cleanly, player unhurt - red card

Coloccini slides in, takes the striker out, nowhere near ball - yellow card

How should that be right?

Tiote left the ground about 20 seconds before the player got there though  :yikes: