Darren Bent Signs for Aston Villa

Guest neesy111

I'm amazed at how Bruce can have a replacement lined up 24 hours after Bent said he wanted to leave.

The man must be a scouting genius.

yeah, 'cause there have been no rumours of bent wanting to leave say last summer or anything have there?  also i'm sure you're right and this just happened totally and utterly without any preceding discussion or warning signs...dazza was just a happy free-scoring mackem until the day he chucked in his chips :lol:

also bruce strikes me as a manager who always has targets in the background, he seems to have a very wide-ranging view on players and transfers

it's all opinions man, as i said Bruce strikes me as a manager that would have a constant 'wish list'

maybe lined up was the wrong term, i suppose i meant a target he feels he can get his hands on for that money as opposed to the deal being done or anything

to be honest if bent has been unhappy as long as they say he'd be a pretty shoddy manager to not have something in his mind as a replacement

I'm amazed at how Bruce can have a replacement lined up 24 hours after Bent said he wanted to leave.

yeah, 'cause there have been no rumours of bent wanting to leave say last summer or anything have there?  also i'm sure you're right and this just happened totally and utterly without any preceding discussion or warning signs...dazza was just a happy free-scoring mackem until the day he chucked in his chips :lol:

also bruce strikes me as a manager who always has targets in the background, he seems to have a very wide-ranging view on players and transfers

Where did I say that it all just happened suddenly? All i pointed out was that Bent didn't hand in his transfer request until Sunday afternoon - why would Bruce have been working on a replacement for a player that wasn't leaving?

Where did I say that it all just happened suddenly? All i pointed out was that Bent didn't hand in his transfer request until Sunday afternoon - why would Bruce have been working on a replacement for a player that wasn't leaving?

urgh, forget the words lined up then if it helps you sleep at night - target, i think he'll have a TARGET in mind for that price range he considers viable if he's letting bent go, is that better?

Unhappy players mean nowt. Players are unhappy all the time, it doesn't mean they're leaving a club.

Often disputes and issues can be resolved.

not sure how unhappy, unsettled bent has been myself but strong rumours he wanted out last summer and hasn't been scoring - is it beyond the realms of possibility that Bruce might have sniffed this (t/fer request) coming?

Bent seems to me as the kind of player who needs to be the main man at a club, certainly since he went to Sunderland anyway. Last season he was a one man team and was a hero on Wearside. Since Gyan has came in, and to a lesser extent Wellbeck, Bent isnt seen in the same light and Sunderland are no longer seen as relying on him. If he goes to Villa, scores a few goals and they stay up, he will probably be seen as a bit of a hero again in the eyes of some Villa supporters.

Bruce has been totally shafted.

Bent was still their key player and this will be like a torpedo right through their future plans.

The money won't mean much in an inflated market where quality players will be even more reluctant to go to Sunderland after this debacle.

Guest johnson293

Bruce has been totally shafted.

Bent was still their key player and this will be like a torpedo right through their future plans.

The money won't mean much in an inflated market where quality players will be even more reluctant to go to Sunderland after this debacle.

Also, wonder what effect this may have on the rest fo the squad - that Sunderland have accepted his transfer request within a day, and that they are prepared to sell arguably their biggest player.

There were also rumours last week that Manyoo want Craig Gordon to replace Edwin van der Sar at the end of the season.

If they sell him too, it doesn't show much for their supposed 'ambitions'.

Guest neesy111

Shows how out of touch with society Simon Bird is:

Anyone criticising Bent for leaving #safc for a 30pc pay rise... would you do same out of loyalty to your employer? Thought not.

Yeah, 99% of people on here have to make ends meet with what they earn, while Darren Bent is already a millionaire and will not need the extra cash.

JFK was right.

"Coaches at Sunderland and all his previous clubs have described Bent as one of the most sensitive players they have worked with – and it is his likeable but fragile nature which was at the very heart of all yesterday’s remarkable events."

Tell me about it, I beat him on Call Of Duty once and he deleted me from his friends list.

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=559585#ixzz1BNcpEx9x

;D

3. Villa are going to sell someone for a fairly large fee - my money is on either Ashley Young or Agbonlahor ; if Young, the likely destination is Liverpool or Spurs. Let's face it, Lerner wouldn't fund any more big transfers for MON without him raising cash first so the odds are that Houllier is in the same position.

That's not true.

Lerner told MON to do something about the wage bill, not that he couldn't spend, as we had big earners, quite literally never getting used, not even making the bench.

Sidwell and Davies goign will cover Bent's wages, I imagine, more than, in fact.

I know for a fact that if MON had been given 18m to spend, he'd have spent it on Robbie Keane or Kevin Doyle, plus McGeady to add to our wingers collection.

That's not true.

Lerner told MON to do something about the wage bill, not that he couldn't spend, as we had big earners, quite literally never getting used, not even making the bench.

Sidwell and Davies goign will cover Bent's wages, I imagine, more than, in fact.

I know for a fact that if MON had been given 18m to spend, he'd have spent it on Robbie Keane or Kevin Doyle, plus McGeady to add to our wingers collection.

Do you ever feel like you're repeating yourself? :lol:

It must get frustrating saying the same thing over and over - it seems the media myth of the Lerner/O'Neill split is as hard to dispel as the one about Toon fans going on about being the best fans in the world...

That's not true.

Do you ever feel like you're repeating yourself? :lol:

It must get frustrating saying the same thing over and over - it seems the media myth of the Lerner/O'Neill split is as hard to dispel as the one about Toon fans going on about being the best fans in the world...

Something I just heard

August 2009 - Villa desperately in need of a striker and have been for two years. MON spends 17m on Warnock, Collins and Dunne, 3 defenders ......... to replace the three defenders - Shorey, Davies and Knight - he himself had spent 17m on the two seasons before. Oh, and he'd also spent 8m on another CB, Cuellar, the year before, too.

This while Darren Bent was joining Sunderland for 10m.

Something I just heard

August 2009 - Villa desperately in need of a striker and have been for two years. MON spends 17m on Warnock, Collins and Dunne, 3 defenders ......... to replace the three defenders - Shorey, Davies and Knight - he himself had spent 17m on the two seasons before.

I have some Villa supporting mates who don't shed any tears over his departure, and I imagine anecdotes like that are why. But you won't read anything like that in the papers or on football websites, it's all about the miracles he performed and the evil Yank who cut off the cash-flow.

Something I just heard

August 2009 - Villa desperately in need of a striker and have been for two years. MON spends 17m on Warnock, Collins and Dunne, 3 defenders ......... to replace the three defenders - Shorey, Davies and Knight - he himself had spent 17m on the two seasons before.

I have some Villa supporting mates who don't shed any tears over his departure, and I imagine anecdotes like that are why. But you won't read anything like that in the papers or on football websites, it's all about the miracles he performed and the evil Yank who cut off the cash-flow.

Don't get me wrong, he did an awful lot of good for us, but he's a walking disaster in the transfer market. He also has a tendency (shown before us) of leaving clubs in a right mess transfers / wages wise.

I genuinely think his main transfer failings are all linked back to the fact that he's just too half soaked or lazy to scout players abroad.

We had no scouting network under MON - literally none. A head scout, Ian Storey-Moore, then nobody else.

How is that acceptable in the modern game?