Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It'd cost nearly £12m alone just to sign a player of Ireland's quality those 2-3 seasons at City. £3m a season, I'd take the risk tbh.

The form you talk about was 3 seasons ago, the form hasn't disappeared for nothing.  Of course we could sign him and he could find his form again, the chances are that he'll not.  With Ireland it’s not just the injuries, he's also got a question mark hanging over his mental stability.

wouldn't take him even at £2m, as he would be coming in at the expense of us going out and getting a better player. He's been poor for too long and was a joke last season, we dodged a bullet by letting him go back to Villa.

Also likely to be on high wages, and if we're going to dish out huge wages i'd want it to be on a player that is worth it, like Colo. no more wasters please.

Didn't stop us signing Ben Arfa worrying about his injury or temperament and rightly so.

His injuries and temperament are only a part of what we should look at, his good form is from 3 seasons ago, Ben Arfa wasn't in the middle of a dip in form.

Not saying this is true with Mick, who blatantly doesn't rate the guy, but I can't help but feel that Ireland was say a French player from a random European league, coming in for £2m with similar form and circumstances behind him, there'd be a lot more willing to fight his corner.

There seems to be a lot of caution on here when it comes to British-based players these days.

The quote does say if we did go for him, itd be an end of window signing.

So its hardly like hes a priority stopping other bigger signings. Im sure if we brought in a few very good players & then nabbed him at the end we'd all be quite happy with him potentially being used in a rotation.

Guest neesy111

Not saying this is true with Mick, who blatantly doesn't rate the guy, but I can't help but feel that Ireland was say a French player from a random European league, coming in for £2m with similar form and circumstances behind him, there'd be a lot more willing to fight his corner.

There seems to be a lot of caution on here when it comes to British-based players these days.

Could be because they lack the technical skills which our counterparts abroad have......

Guest BooBoo

People label Ireland a nutcase for telling fibs and having chavvy taste yet are more than willing to laud convicted criminals like Barton and Carroll.

Silly really, call it short sighted but I'm only interested at the end of the day in what they do on the pitch. At £2million, I'd take a punt on Ireland.

I rated Ireland while he was at Man City but that was 3 seasons ago now and he's done very little since 2008/09.  I hoped that we would sign him when they were in for Given.  Since then he's done nothing and we've even got a Villa fan on this forum who hopes that we take him off Villa's hands.

Could be because they lack the technical skills which our counterparts abroad have......

I think Ireland has plenty of technical ability, that's not the issue for me. It's whether he's still quick enough or prepared to work hard enough that I wonder about.

To be fair though, he barely played at Villa so Brummie's analysis is somewhat moot.

Brummie's analysis wasn't based purely oh how he'd played for Villa, it was also based on what was going on when he wasn't playing.

Theyve already said his attitude and work rate was very good while here.

Was he not threatened with being disciplined for breaching club rules when he was photographed in Tup Tup the night before we played away to Stoke while he was supposed to be injured?

Guest BooBoo

He wouldn't have been fit to play v Stoke anyway. A total mountain out of a molehill situation.

As said, Carroll did far worse yet people turned a blind eye as he did the business on the pitch.

He wouldn't have been fit to play v Stoke anyway. A total mountain out of a molehill situation.

As said, Carroll did far worse yet people turned a blind eye as he did the business on the pitch.

The point is that he wasn't fit to play and had breached club rules according to Pardew.  As for Carroll, who turned a blind eye?