Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not so much his injury record, but his form. It's not a position that crucially needs investment this summer. If he's anything other than good i don't want to see us spend money on him. If he performs to a standard where its like "oo, ahh, but he was good against so-and-so even though he was shit against so-and-so" - we shouldn't be interested. He needs to absolutely prove he's worth it if we're to go spending £5m+ (as well as big wages) on him.

Ben Arfa's not a particularly good comparison imo. He's not a headcase who's been shit for the last two years.

I'd say we have 5 Premier League quality midfielders, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Nolan, Barton & Jonas. That's not good enough to see us through another season (see Aston Villa last Sunday).

Even on another season-loan or something or £5m max fee and I'd take him here in a heartbeat.

I'd say we have 5 Premier League quality midfielders, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Nolan, Barton & Jonas. That's not good enough to see us through another season (see Aston Villa last Sunday).

Even on another season-loan or something or £5m max fee and I'd take him here in a heartbeat.

He's done nothing for 2 years, he's not even worth bringing back next season on loan considering what he'll be earning if it's anywhere near what he's rumoured to be on at Villa. 

The baggage he brings can’t be forgotten either.

I don't particularly like Ireland, as a bloke or a player, but if we do bring him in at least he can play a variety of the positions which is what Pardew said he wanted.

He can?

I don't particularly like Ireland, as a bloke or a player, but if we do bring him in at least he can play a variety of the positions which is what Pardew said he wanted.

He can?

Allegedly.

He's done nothing for 2 years, he's not even worth bringing back next season on loan considering what he'll be earning if it's anywhere near what he's rumoured to be on at Villa.  

The baggage he brings can’t be forgotten either.

If he signs here next season there's no chance he'll be on big wages.  Why would we dish out massive wages for Ireland and refuse to for others?

If he signs here next season there's no chance he'll be on big wages.  Why would we dish out massive wages for Ireland and refuse to for others?

What would you call big wages?  He might take a reduction to get away from Villa, I doubt he'd come down to a level which I think would match what he's probably be worth.  He's worth nowhere near the £65k I've seen mentioned, I wouldn't give him a third of that.

If he signs here next season there's no chance he'll be on big wages.  Why would we dish out massive wages for Ireland and refuse to for others?

What would you call big wages?  He might take a reduction to get away from Villa, I doubt he'd come down to a level which I think would match what he's probably be worth.  He's worth nowhere near the £65k I've seen mentioned, I wouldn't give him a third of that.

I reckon if he came we'd be looking at giving him around 25-30k.  Total guesswork on my part but I can't see him being up there with the top earners straight away.

Most likely I will see him sign for a 40k wage, with an option to negotiate if he becomes a key player with similar wages as tiote ben arfa etc.

We should work on getting him a "rotation" contract when he first signs. /fm

Guest Heneage

He got bummed in a central midfield two by an opposition containing Alan Smith earlier this season. :-[

He's not a centre midfielder tbh.

He got bummed in a central midfield two by an opposition containing Alan Smith earlier this season. :-[

Wullie also loves throwing this one up for some unknown reason. Any footballer can have a bad game.

The discussion was whether or not he can provide cover in multiple positions. Would you play him out wide? In defence?

Guest BooBoo

Think we'll re-sign him on another loan to be honest.

Yeah, season long loan I reckon. That would likely suit all parties.

Guest Heneage

The discussion was whether or not he can provide cover in multiple positions. Would you play him out wide? In defence?

Depends, would you use a fork to eat soup and slice bread?

He could play central midfield in a 5 man midfield but if we buy him I'd hope we'd be smart enough to deploy him further upfield as a playmaker like his days at City with Robinho. He got 9 goals in his best season for City playing that role so there's potential.

Guest BooBoo

He could play central midfield in a 5 man midfield but if we buy him I'd hope we'd be smart enough to deploy him further upfield as a playmaker like his days at City with Robinho. He got 9 goals in his best season for City playing that role so there's potential.

I dont really think he's much of a playmaker. At his best, he's a simialr player to Rob Lee, an attacking central midfielder with an eye for goal. He's not got any real tricks up his sleeve though to be labelled a playmaker.

Nolans got more goals in that pozish tbh and Pardew wants to play HBA in the 'number 10' role anyway.

I dont really think he's much of a playmaker. At his best, he's a simialr player to Rob Lee, an attacking central midfielder with an eye for goal. He's not got any real tricks up his sleeve though to be labelled a playmaker.

Yep.

Guest Heneage

So you agree with me then.

Yes and no.

It all depends how you line up really, can he play CM in 4-4-2, no. In 4-5-1 yes, in the same way he could play RW in 4-2-3-1.