MLS

Kaizero

They could have used AFC, there's plenty of them out there in Europe and that's where the word "soccer" comes from.

Philadelphia Union has got to be one of the best names they have though, perfectly football-sounding while being very yank at the same time.

I've never been a fan of the scattershot way in which MLS clubs have named themselves. To me, the most authentic MLS names are those that adopt American-style team names (i.e. Houston Dynamo, Portland Timbers, LA Galaxy, Philadelphia Union), as corny as they sound.

Real Salt Lake - Ludicrous for all the reasons VI mentioned above.

Sporting Kansas City - Better than "Kansas City Wizards" no doubt, but also presumably named because the club eventually wants to expand beyond soccer. Though I don't know of any English-language clubs in Europe that have "Sporting" in their name. Reminds me of Sporting Lisbon, but I'm not sure I see a connection between Kansas City and Portugal.

D.C. United - Wasn't formed by uniting two clubs.

Toronto FC - "FC" doesn't stand for "Football Club" and even if it did, they don't call the game "football" in Canada. Should be Toronto S.C. if anything. Same with FC Dallas, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, and Seattle Sounders FC.

New York Red Bulls - They get away with it by pluralizing the nickname and putting it after the city (instead of Red Bull New York). :lol:

My favorite club name in MLS is probably Chicago Fire Soccer Club. Elements of both the U.S. sports scene but pays homage to a worldwide trend among soccer/football clubs.

In my opinion, MLS is much better when it does its own thing and doesn't copy Europe.

:thup: Like the Union name. Be nice if they weren't shite though.

They could've been AC Philadelphia, SC Philadelphia, and Philadelphia City too apparently. :lol:

Though for sure it wouldn't have been "Soccer Club (S.C.) Philadelphia" or "Athletic Club (A.C.) Philadelphia"

Yanks just seem to have ignored the fact there's a reason/meaning behind using FC, Sporting, United, etc... that goes back to the club's foundation and history. They should have created their own tradition, and if that's corny US sports names, then so be it.

:thup: Like the Union name. Be nice if they weren't s**** though.

They could've been AC Philadelphia, SC Philadelphia, and Philadelphia City too apparently. :lol:

Though for sure it wouldn't have been "Soccer Club (S.C.) Philadelphia" or "Athletic Club (A.C.) Philadelphia"

Associazione Calcio Philadelphia. :snod:

Yanks just seem to have ignored the fact there's a reason/meaning behind using FC, Sporting, United, etc... that goes back to the club's foundation and history. They should have created their own tradition, and if that's corny US sports names, then so be it.

Well that's exactly it. "Real Madrid sounds like a sweet team name, let's name our team from Utah after them."

Really just need Juan Carlos to fly over and bless the club, make it official. :lol:

:thup: Like the Union name. Be nice if they weren't s**** though.

Associazione Calcio Philadelphia. :snod:

My favorite is probably Crystal Palace Baltimore. They played in the U.S. second tier before dissolving a few years ago. No imagination involved whatsoever. :lol:

They were affiliated with the real Crystal Palace mind.

Still holding out for Wolverhampton Wanderers Omaha FC.

Are the RSL kit colours patterned after the Spanish NT, too? Always wondered that.

Will make all that Spanish population in Utah very happy.

http://du8znpjowa92.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/real-salt-lake-08-09-home-shirt.jpg

http://www.footballkitnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/New-Spain-Home-Kit-2011.jpg

Wondolowski scored a cracker tonight for SJ. No clue why Lazy Altidore is starting ahead of him for the USMNT

Wondo's a poacher, nothing more. And he's never shown he can compete on the international level. As much as I'm irritated by Altidore, he's a far better footballer. Give him consistent service and he'll do good things.

That Wondolowski article is pure yankstats, loving it :lol:

Friend of mine in NY was always telling me that football won't make it in the US because it can't be distilled into the sheer amount of "objective" stats as hockey or baseball. Give'em time.

Wondolowski scored a cracker tonight for SJ. No clue why Lazy Altidore is starting ahead of him for the USMNT

Wondo's a poacher, nothing more. And he's never shown he can compete on the international level. As much as I'm irritated by Altidore, he's a far better footballer. Give him consistent service and he'll do good things.

Completely disagree. Wondo might be a poacher (though I think this is reductive, he offers more, but I'm an SJ fan) and nothing more, but Altidore is just plain nothing. He's had his chances and has squandered all of them, drives me crazy to see him in the shirt.

Friend of mine in NY was always telling me that football won't make it in the US because it can't be distilled into the sheer amount of "objective" stats as hockey or baseball. Give'em time.

We're on the verge of developing robust and influential sabermetrics for soccer (soccermetrics). I think it'll take hold in the U.S. before anywhere else, simply because we already heavily quantify our other sports (football to some extent, but primarily in baseball).

It has the potential to revolutionize the way in which the game is viewed and played, giving credit to traditionally (as an aside, I think Carrick is a guy whose value would increase immensely from in-depth statistical analysis) undervalued players and exposing flaws among overrated players.

Completely disagree. Wondo might be a poacher (though I think this is reductive, he offers more, but I'm an SJ fan) and nothing more, but Altidore is just plain nothing. He's had his chances and has squandered all of them, drives me crazy to see him in the shirt.

I challenge any striker to perform well in front of a 3-man midfield comprised of holding/defensive midfielders. Altidore's gotten fuck all for service under Klinsmann. Consequently, the best game Altidore's had for the national team under Klinsmann was against Slovenia when they lined-up in a 4-4-2 and Altidore could play off Buddle. And he had a very good game against Costa Rica, primarily because we played with just 2 central midfielders and Dempsey was free to roam up top. The interchange between Altidore and Dempsey was in-sync all game.

Wondo's a guy who deserves all the plaudits he's getting. One of the best strikers in MLS. But I'm not convinced he's international quality.

We're on the verge of developing robust and influential sabermetrics for soccer (soccermetrics). I think it'll take hold in the U.S. before anywhere else, simply because we already heavily quantify our other sports (football to some extent, but primarily in baseball).

It has the potential to revolutionize the way in which the game is viewed and played, giving credit to traditionally (as an aside, I think Carrick is a guy whose value would increase immensely from in-depth statistical analysis) undervalued players and exposing flaws among overrated players.

It won't work.