SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

As fans, I've noticed a lot more comments along the lines recently of "I'd not be happy paying that much for potential incoming player" or "£xmillion for potential outgoing player is a great deal."

Why do we care? Its the clubs money after all, it's affecting none of our wallets. As long as we're not going ridiculous like Jordan Henderson esque deals, frankly I'm not arsed if we would be paying over the odds. Sometimes you have to do it if you want the player and that's something that Ashley has never grasped and will never bend to. Its an overly rigid policy that will more often than not see targets slip through the net whilst we settle for third of forth choices.

As for outgoing deals, it doesn't really matter if we got £2million or £12million for someone like Routledge. It doesnt affect one bit our spending so any incoming money is almost irrelevant.

I've been saying this for yonks, only to be effectively accused of wanting the club to go under.

As fans, I've noticed a lot more comments along the lines recently of "I'd not be happy paying that much for potential incoming player" or "£xmillion for potential outgoing player is a great deal."

Why do we care? Its the clubs money after all, it's affecting none of our wallets. As long as we're not going ridiculous like Jordan Henderson esque deals, frankly I'm not arsed if we would be paying over the odds. Sometimes you have to do it if you want the player and that's something that Ashley has never grasped and will never bend to. Its an overly rigid policy that will more often than not see targets slip through the net whilst we settle for third of forth choices.

As for outgoing deals, it doesn't really matter if we got £2million or £12million for someone like Routledge. It doesnt affect one bit our spending so any incoming money is almost irrelevant.

My thoughts exactly.

Happens fairly often too that fees can seem over the odds at the time but eventually end up justified, particularly with younger players. This is the dilemma we face - Ashley wants to buy young but isn't willing to pay top whack for the potential because he's not seeing the benefit here and now.

A major flaw in that policy is that nowadays I think players tend to peak a couple of years earlier than they did ten years ago due to the pace of the game in England and potential is now worth more than current ability. We probably all raised an eyebrow at fees paid for Ashley Young, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott but now at worst they look like decent prices, at best like complete snips. The mackems have gone for this with Wickham, only time will tell whether it pays off, I hope not.

Similarly, why should it matter if we're not spending mega bucks when we can get Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Ba and Marveaux for around £15m?

Because we always want the team to be better. Money saved should, in my eyes, translate as more money to spend.

And replace 6 or 7 first team players at a time?

Not necessarily. I'd rather go to £20m for Sturridge rather than buying another three or four moderately priced players.

Bellamy and Robert's the classic example of how the right quality can improve the side drastically, rather than sheer weight of numbers.

Guest BooBoo

Its the one aspect of our transfer policy that I agree with; buying young with players on the up. Unfortunately we dont just stop there, we seemingly apply a number of other preferred criteria which narrows the pool considerably:

Ideally not over 26.

Contract with 2 or less years to run, meaning deflated transfer fees. Ideally should be free agents.

On relatively low wages so we can hike their wages, thus being an enticing offer, although without having to pay "big" money.

Ideally not based in Premier League due to the over infaltion of inter Premier League transfer fees.

I've been saying this for yonks, only to be effectively accused of wanting the club to go under.

I for one couldn't truly enjoy that mild October day back in 1996 when we howked manchester united 5-0, because in the back of my mind as every goal went in was the nagging concern of our sizeable wage bill. That, and the alarming amount of blokes with centre-partings...

Good point. But still...£9 mill is a steep sum (if it's correct) 1/4 of the money from Carroll..

It's not 1/4 of the money brought in through selling Nolan and Carroll plus the wages of those two saved over the lenght on the contracts they had remaining.  I guess those two sales/wage savings have brought in £50 million when they are put together.

I for one couldn't truly enjoy that mild October day back in 1996 when we howked manchester united 5-0, because in the back of my mind as every goal went in was the nagging concern of our sizeable wage bill. That, and the alarming amount of blokes with centre-partings...

Leeds fans probably weren't too when they were playing Valencia in the Champions League Semi-Final and look what happened. We couldn't sustain that spending and wages which is why Hall floated us and Keegan walked soon after.

Leeds fans probably weren't too when they were playing Valencia in the Champions League Semi-Final and look what happened. We couldn't sustain that spending and wages which is why Hall floated us and Keegan walked soon after.

We were told we were almost at break even last season and have since then brought in/ saved around £50 million.  Nobody is suggesting risking the club by handing out money we don't have as far as I'm aware.

Good point. But still...£9 mill is a steep sum (if it's correct) 1/4 of the money from Carroll..

It's not 1/4 of the money brought in through selling Nolan and Carroll plus the wages of those two saved over the lenght on the contracts they had remaining.  I guess those two sales/wage savings have brought in £50 million when they are put together.

if thats the case then cabaye is on a reported 13mill over the term of his contract,merveaux likewise and then theres ba over 3 yrs isn't it.

really don't think it's as straightforward as that though.

Speaking of floating the club, what's the realistic chances of Ashley doing the same again with us? Didn't he make a mint doing the same with Sport and Soccer (sports direct).

Probably not for this thread and I don't have a clue how these things work but could it be a quicker way to eventually sell the club?

I apologise for taking this off topic.

Guest BooBoo

Very much doubt Cabaye et all are on anything like the 60k a week some people seem to think they are.

30k tops I would of thought.

if thats the case then cabaye is on a reported 13mill over the term of his contract,merveaux likewise and then theres ba over 3 yrs isn't it.

When have we or any other football club ever budgeted for entire contracts in one season? Will the next four years' wages be reflected as a cost in this year's accounts? Will they fuck.

Very much doubt Cabaye et all are on anything like the 60k a week some people seem to think they are.

what do you reckon then 50k (13mill over 5 years) or even 40k (10.4mill over 5 years) ?

When have we or any other football club ever budgeted for entire contracts in one season? Will the next four years' wages be reflected as a cost in this year's accounts? Will they f***.

thats what i've been asking for days, if they are claiming they have accoounted for some of the wages already then how much of them ?

When have we or any other football club ever budgeted for entire contracts in one season? Will the next four years' wages be reflected as a cost in this year's accounts? Will they f***.

thats what i've been asking for days, if they are claiming they have accoounted for some of the wages already then how much of them ?

Who cares, it's bollocks.

French press were talking £50-55k when he signed.

Who are these journalists asking players who they're on and who are these players telling them?

I think wages are one thing that journalists take a complete guess at.

Who cares, it's bollocks.

not really as they have to be budgeted for.

French press were talking £50-55k when he signed.

Who are these journalists asking players who they're on and who are these players telling them?

I think wages are one thing that journalists take a complete guess at.

Like you've just done? :lol: