Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'd still take O'Hara btw, comfortably their best player today. Been saying it for a while.

Pretty versatile too.

Rodallega is good player. £4M for him.

Never looked anything other than hit and miss when I've seen him, inconsistant and a bit wasteful in finishing. TBF though, a lot of people seem to rate him and he is playing in a terrible team.

Thing is we have Gosling who although energetic is also more of a "get into good positions" player. Along with Guthrie and Nolan I think if we do sign another CM it would be better to get someone more in the Tiote mould.

I am undecided now in what we need, being realistic I think we will be lucky to spend £20m, £25m tops unless anyone else is sold.

Ben Arfa playing as a forward I think we could only really attract and afford one quality striker. Whether we can get someone in cheap who doesn't mind fighting for his place then we could look to loan Ranger.

I would still be tempted to get Larsson in on a free to compete with Barton.

Would love to get Gary Cahill in but I don't think that's realistic. We will need another centre back but again I am torn on whether it should be a priority (ie spend big and get a class partner for Colo) or just get another at a similar level to Williamson and Taylor.

Is Tavernier ready to back Simpson up?

Vuckic, Kadar and a few others need a loan. Would be interested to see what Lua Lua is looking like.

We really need to get these young lads loans, the early signs from Pardew seem to point to him thinking along the same lines.

Nice post Jon. Quite insightful from you at midnight on a Saturday.

I have no idea what to expect from Gosling, being out for 18 month at that age is a huge setback, both mentally and physically.

I agree with you RE: Larsson, he can also play right back. Don't think Cahill is realistic most people are pressuring Wenger into getting him.

I think the next youngster to break through will be Kazenga, seemed to be doing well at Brighton, would like to see him in a good Championship side.

Two first team strikers minimum for me. If Routledge leaves he needs replacing. In an ideal world we'd buy a top centre back a la Cahill but I can't see it in a million years.

Could we afford/attract two first team forwards?  One position is already filled. Obviously it would be nice but I don't think it would be the end of the world if we just signed one. Best has done very well, Shola is a decent squad player and Ben Arfa is the proverbial "like a new signing".

Maybe Hooper at Celtic could be a fairly cheap option though if we decide not to go for a top class signing at centre back.

I'm still hoping for a tiote scouting signing or two, these threads are always an interesting topic of conversation but the players mentioned (at least by me) are often the usual suspects. Hoping for some quality unknowns, Disco suggestion signings (ie I don't know who the fuck they are).

Could we afford/attract two first team forwards?  One position is already filled.

Are they though?

I'd be surprised if we played anything other than 4-4-2 next season and Best, Shola, Lovenkrands and Ranger aren't good enough to start and Ben Arfa has spent 90% of his career playing on the LW.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't sign at least two strikers. We needed one before Carroll IMO so now we need two. Unfortunately, the cynic in me thinks because of Best and Shola's alright performances mean this would happen.

I just don't see us spending hefty sums on two forwards, we already have Ben Arfa then throw in Best, Ameobi, the prodigal Ranger and dare I say it Lovenkrands and I can't see it.

If Best hadn't stepped up I could see it but now we have one class attacker, two decent forwards, one promising youngster and one older striker capable of the odd goal/good game. I don't think a big enough clear out will happen.

I just don't see us spending hefty sums on two forwards, we already have Ben Arfa then throw in Best, Ameobi, the prodigal Ranger and dare I say it Lovenkrands and I can't see it.

If Best hadn't stepped up I could see it but now we have one class attacker, two decent forwards, one promising youngster and one older striker capable of the odd goal/good game. I don't think a big enough clear out will happen.

Me either but if we want to progress we need too IMO. As I said the cynic in me thinks that our, IMO overachieving, performances this season will see us not spend as much as much as the board will think they don't need too. Who knows though.

I also think its a little presumptious to think Ben Arfa will shine in a non-LW role though when he's barely played there. None of us really know whether he can play consistently in the Prem nevermind in a more unfamiliar rule. This is not saying I don't think he'll shine for us like.

i'd be tempted (mind i'm having my first drink in 3 weeks) in sturridge and ben arfa up front. a kind of recreation of cole/beardsley.

Guest pont-toon

Sturridge for £10-12m is the type of signing I could easily see Ashley allowing. Young, English, re-sale potential.

yip - JFDI

Sturridge for £10-12m is the type of signing I could easily see Ashley allowing. Young, English, re-sale potential.

Chelsea wont be selling with  Drog & Anelka both in there 30s & Kalou not a trusted starter in a striking position. Sturridge also ticks a box a home grown player

Chelsea wont be selling with  Drog & Anelka both in there 30s & Kalou not a trusted starter in a striking position. Sturridge also ticks a box a home grown player

I can see them spunking another hefty sum on a striker though. Also I doubt Anelka or Drogba will be retiring at the end of the season so Sturridge will probably find himself 4th/5th choice next season.