Where does Carroll rank...

Tooj

Amongst some of the strikers we've had in the last twent years or so?

I know he's far from the finished article and has really only had a good half a season in the top flight - but it would be interesting to see what people think, both on how good he is now and how good he can be.

Potentially he could have been the best bar Shearer. On what we saw I'd still say Ferdinand and Andy Cole were better strikers for us.

I always thought Carroll was 'over-rated' somewhat, simply because of him being a Geordie.

That was a few years ago.

Since the club being in the Championship, and Carroll maturing as a player on the pitch, he impressed me more and more.

I do think he is over-rated somewhat still, but he did add a lot to his game, he can run, he can win everything in the air, he is a handful for defenders.

How good will he go on to be, i have no idea, but he is a good footballer.

He definitely made me change my opinion of him, i still dont think he is as good as everyone makes out, but definitely has added a lot to his game in the past few seasons.

Difficult to tell, really.

There are loads of players who were undoubtedly better than Carroll is currently. But who knows how good he may become.

Certainly Shearer, Sir Les, Cole, Beardsley, & Bellamy are better players from our recent history.

The question as whole is a bit irrelevant. Historically, he was never going to be our best ever striker... but he's the best one we had this season. That's the important/tragic part.

Weird. I'd have them both back in a flash.

I'm firmly in the camp of Carroll being pushed out/encouraged remember. I'd imagine his Agent has probably leant on him too.

N'Zogbia whinged and whined his way through his stay (and with good reason at times to be fair to him) and would be shite for squad moral, which is a big part in why should survive this season and we why we went down last time.

Also, I think N'Zog is a talented lad but not worth anything north of £10m.

Some may disagree but Owen when he came was a better player, obviously older, but a better player and he cost us £17million. That he turned out to be a injury prone wanker is another thing. But he scored many and was dangerous in his first games, wasnt he?

Then Bellamy, Sir Les, Alan Shearer, Beardsley, Cole are obvious examples that were better than him.

Some may disagree but Owen when he came was a better player, obviously older, but a better player and he cost us £17million. That he turned out to be a injury prone w***** is another thing. But he scored many and was dangerous in his first games, wasnt he?

Then Bellamy, Sir Les, Alan Shearer, Beardsley, Cole are obvious examples that were better than him.

Up until the last dozen games or so where he went to shit, he still averaged just under 1 in 2 in the Premier League in 50+ games.

Some may disagree but Owen when he came was a better player, obviously older, but a better player and he cost us £17million. That he turned out to be a injury prone w***** is another thing. But he scored many and was dangerous in his first games, wasnt he?

Quinn,Goddard,Withe could all be in with the same bunch as the had a few years here and did a job as Carroll has basically come out of no where ,not saying they are better no way but tbh the thread title can be twisted as you see fit .