Kevin Nolan's comments to Liverpool TV (see OP)

Guest axel
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's a good reminder that footballers talk to the media more than they talk to the fans.

Fwiw, Nolan invites supporters to come and speak to him when he's out and about.

one of the most approachable players i've known.....no i haven't but i've seen many appraoch him anjd he's alot more open than most.

Tbh its time to move on now he has kind of said sorry so what more do people want ,it hurt at the time but as Brummie commented there is a detachment and he didnt think about what he was doing and has paid the price as atleast he knows this.

Guest neesy111

Footballers these days have such a comprehensive disconnect with supporters that they can barely comprehend why comments like those might be offensive - not just before they make them (which might cause them not to, if they thought about it) but even after they've made them, and it has kicked off.

Nolan's "if fans don't like it, I apologise" line seems to suggest that even now he doesn't "get it" why people might be fucked off.

It's like Houllier saying "if i am going to lose 3-0, I would rather it was against Liverpool, because I like Liverpool" comment after we lost to them earlier in the season.

People in the football industry can't even start to understand why the average match-going punter might get the hump. We're supposed to see things like they do, in their 40k a week dreamworlds.

The entire football apparatus sneers at supporters, whether it be Sky and their skin-creepingly horrible presenters, the players slouching around doing fuck all for life changing sums of money and shrugging things like relegation off like you or I would a headache, or managers with their seeming entitlement to a well paid job on a never ending merry go round of mediocrity - because, frankly, that's what most of them are, mediocre.

There's no point even hoping someone like Nolan would understand why people are upset. He didn't get it before he made the comments, he didn't think that maybe keeping shtum was the best thing to do, and even now he clearly can't see why you're bothered. Frankly, he doesn't give a flying on, and that is the saddest thing of all.

Spot on, and it's exactly this reason that I'm pissed off with everything to do with the modern game.

It's a fact that most players don't understand how fans feel, or at least they don't always remember to think of that when they're giving interviews. So we shouldn't be surprised that Nolan just tossed off these comments without thinking too much.

But Kevin Nolan has shown this season that, unlike a lot of players who have represented NUFC in recent years, he cares about doing the business on the pitch and is capable of binding the dressing room together. Without him we might well be in a much worse position than we are now.

For that reason I'm prepared to accept that Nolan is just a typical footballer who has been caught out by a potentially tricky question because he's mates with Carroll. I don't think we need to hang him out to dry for it.

Guest toonlass

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care what Nolan has said. He's a good captain, he motivates the lads, we seem to have a decent team spirit now. He does look like he cares when he is on the pitch and he is scoring goals for us.

The more I see this, the more I get pissed off with our fans. Are we children? Christ, are people not allowed to have an opinion? Liverpool are a big club, a club far more successful than us and fair play to him for wishing his mate all the best.

We might not be Liverpool but we aren't exactly Notts County either. The way our captain and some fans talk you'd think we were a fucking nursery club who should tug our forelocks and roll out the red carpet for bigger and better clubs.

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care what Nolan has said. He's a good captain, he motivates the lads, we seem to have a decent team spirit now. He does look like he cares when he is on the pitch and he is scoring goals for us.

i agree, some people need to grow up. He made comments, he apologised. get over it. We have far bigger problems