Leon Best

Godot

Hughton sorted out injuries, pretty much.  Certainly in comparison to other managers.  I thought we were just having a bad streak of luck, but its starting to look like Hughton's training and management certainly helped abate our various injury crises. 

Disagree. CH had the benefit of being in charge in the early days of the season, before the tough match program started to take its toll. Under CH everybody was fresh and ready to go. He had plenty of players to choose from. As the season develops,  injuries and fatigue increased. Accordingly, Pardew doesn't have the same luxury as CH did.  He got plenty of injuries, and unlike CH  he has just shit replacements. And that also puts and extra pressure on the the remaining quality players. In other words, our current injury situation got nothing to do with CH og Pardew, but more with our squad lacking depth. We're not able to rotate, and that hurts.

injuries are Pardew's fault :lol:

Not saying that.  I'm just saying that it looks like Hughton's training methods, whatever they were, worked well with our squad and stopped people breaking down in training quite as much as they do now and were doing before.

Pardew's methods seem to be moving us back to the Roeder, Allardyce eras of injury tragedy. 

Could be a blip, of course. 

Hughton sorted out injuries, pretty much.  Certainly in comparison to other managers.  I thought we were just having a bad streak of luck, but its starting to look like Hughton's training and management certainly helped abate our various injury crises. 

Disagree. CH had the benefit of being in charge in the early days of the season, before the tough match program started to take its toll. Under CH everybody was fresh and ready to go. He had plenty of players to choose from. As the season develops,  injuries and fatigue increased. Accordingly, Pardew doesn't have the same luxury as CH did.  He got plenty of injuries, and unlike CH  he has just s*** replacements. And that also puts and extra pressure on the the remaining quality players. In other words, our current injury situation got nothing to do with CH og Pardew, but more with our squad lacking depth. We're not able to rotate, and that hurts.

We played 46+ games in the Championship, all under Hughton.  And our squad was still looking alright come the end of the season.

We only missing one or two more players than most other clubs in the league, and that's including Gosling who we signed with a long-term injury and Ben Arfa who sustained a freak broken leg.

This idea we have an unusually-high amount of injuries just doesn't stack up IMO. What we do have is a lack of decent replacements.

The fact the Premier League is a quicker paced and harder league might have something to do with it as well.

They're having to work harder than last year and push themselves more, which might be the reason for the difference in injuries between last and this year.

Disagree. CH had the benefit of being in charge in the early days of the season, before the tough match program started to take its toll. Under CH everybody was fresh and ready to go. He had plenty of players to choose from. As the season develops,  injuries and fatigue increased. Accordingly, Pardew doesn't have the same luxury as CH did.  He got plenty of injuries, and unlike CH  he has just s*** replacements. And that also puts and extra pressure on the the remaining quality players. In other words, our current injury situation got nothing to do with CH og Pardew, but more with our squad lacking depth. We're not able to rotate, and that hurts.

We played 46+ games in the Championship, all under Hughton.  And our squad was still looking alright come the end of the season.

TBF though, the Championship was a stroll compared to the Premier League.

The fact the Premier League is a quicker paced and harder league might have something to do with it as well.

They're having to work harder than last year and push themselves more, which might be the reason for the difference in injuries between last and this year.

There is that argument.  But then people argue that the Championship is a more physical league where you get knocked around more.

I think the truth is, none of us have a clue. :p

With a lot more games.

Yeah. Players that ruled in Wankership, is utter useless in PL: Routledge, Guthrie, Smith, Taylor and Loven. As Ian W says, it's probable that our injury problems could be ascribed to a thin squad.

Yeah. Players that ruled in Wankership, is utter useless in PL: Routledge, Guthrie, Smith, Taylor and Loven. As Ian W says, it's probable that our injury problems could be ascribed to a thin squad.

How very relevant. :rolleyes:

Hughton sorted out injuries, pretty much.  Certainly in comparison to other managers.  I thought we were just having a bad streak of luck, but its starting to look like Hughton's training and management certainly helped abate our various injury crises.  

Disagree. CH had the benefit of being in charge in the early days of the season, before the tough match program started to take its toll. Under CH everybody was fresh and ready to go. He had plenty of players to choose from. As the season develops,  injuries and fatigue increased. Accordingly, Pardew doesn't have the same luxury as CH did.  He got plenty of injuries, and unlike CH  he has just s*** replacements. And that also puts and extra pressure on the the remaining quality players. In other words, our current injury situation got nothing to do with CH og Pardew, but more with our squad lacking depth. We're not able to rotate, and that hurts.

We played 46+ games in the Championship, all under Hughton.  And our squad was still looking alright come the end of the season.

With a lot more games.

Yeah, can't argue with that, but I think it's the intensity of the Premier League that makes it much more physically demanding.

The majority of the games in the Champ were fairly straightforward, let's face it. Also, that division placed less demands on our second-rate reserve players so we wouldn't feel injuries as much in terms of results.

How very relevant. :rolleyes:

You're right  O0

What the fuck's going on with the fitness of our squad, seriously? We had more games last year and a smaller squad and it was fully fit for about the entirety of it, Barton being the exception. Really worrying. Cba going back to a squad full of perma-crocks as was the case under Souness/Roeder.

Just bad luck innit.

FWIW Best is only listed as a 'slight doubt' on physioroom.

Bad luck.  :facepalm:

April Fools?  He did his press conference yesterday mind, and that's where the quotes are from.  Best also trained yesterday, if his injury is that bad, why did he take part in a full session??

If he isn't ready for the match tomorrow, despite that he had  a FULL training session yesterday, I will execute our medical staff..We desperately need him..

Why have you begun pursuing this red herring issue? I hadn't heard our medical staff be mentioned (in a negative light) in absolutely ages until the last two or three months. And later on you're saying it's because we have a thin squad, and of course the medical staff aren't responsible for not signing extra players or giving away the players we did have.

By the way, what other usernames have you used on here?

April Fools?  He did his press conference yesterday mind, and that's where the quotes are from.  Best also trained yesterday, if his injury is that bad, why did he take part in a full session??

If he isn't ready for the match tomorrow, despite that he had  a FULL training session yesterday, I will execute our medical staff..We desperately need him..

Why have you begun pursuing this red herring issue? I hadn't heard our medical staff be mentioned (in a negative light) in absolutely ages until the last two or three months. And later on you're saying it's because we have a thin squad, and of course the medical staff aren't responsible for not signing extra players or giving away the players we did have.

Good point. Probably a combination. We have a thin squad, but at the same time I feel that the situation is made worse by our medical team. Eg Nolan is allowed to stay chubby and they did not seriously attack Carroll's drinking . Except Nolan's "health problems" it's of course impossible to prove. Just a feeling I have.

And no, I've not used oher usernames on this forum before..

It tells us something if a crisis in the "april fools proportion" is that Leon fucking Best is injured. :lol:

Hes played well this season, but we really need to buy better strikers in the summer, even if we were to be relegated.

April Fools?  He did his press conference yesterday mind, and that's where the quotes are from.  Best also trained yesterday, if his injury is that bad, why did he take part in a full session??

If he isn't ready for the match tomorrow, despite that he had  a FULL training session yesterday, I will execute our medical staff..We desperately need him..

Good point. Probably a combination. We have a thin squad, but at the same time I feel that the situation is made worse by our medical team. Eg Nolan is allowed to stay chubby and they did not seriously attack Carroll's drinking . Except Nolan's "health problems" it's of course impossible to prove. Just a feeling I have.

And no, I've not used oher usernames on this forum before..

:kinnear: give it a rest Harry.