Connor wickham

Guest sicko2ndbest

Nice pen, but his goals were nowt special. Glad for him he's getting more in though, goals haven't come to him naturally so far (he says about a 17 year old)

Glad to see Ipswich turning it around, will always have a soft spot for them, but also ends Roy Keane as a football manager. Bye dickhead.  :thup:

Last person in the football league to score a hat-trick at 17?

Shearer?

Twas my thought too, Stifler.

Since his call up to the Nigerian team Shola's had his age set back 10 years so he was only actually 17 when he netted 3 against Reading last season. Go Shola!

Also for people claiming he doesn't score enough, if Mr Carroll's sudden rise to the top wasn't example enough, a certain Alan Shearer had netted only 8 goals in all competitions (assuming Wikipedia is correct :lol: ) by the time he turned 20. When he turned 21 he'd still only scored 10 times in the league for Southampton.

Guest EastEndGeordie

TBH Connor may be a good signing but are we sure we aren't just jumping into it. Do we really want him or are we just buying him because we miss Carroll? If we could get him for less than eight mil, then it'd be a good buy but if not we should look elsewhere.

TBH Connor may be a good signing but are we sure we aren't just jumping into it. Do we really want him or are we just buying him because we miss Carroll? If we could get him for less than eight mil, then it'd be a good buy but if not we should look elsewhere.

You have to jump in and take the risk at times. Some backfire, but hey I'd love it if we found someone of the Walcott or Bale standard.

I think getting early talks under way with Ipswich over this lad would be a very good thing to do right now. Start the initial approach and push for a bid to be accepted, it might settle down one or two of our players doubting the cash from Carroll is going to be spent. If we had Wickham signed before the start of the season it would be a good sign to everyone of our intentions.

I think getting early talks under way with Ipswich over this lad would be a very good thing to do right now. Start the initial approach and push for a bid to be accepted, it might settle down one or two of our players doubting the cash from Carroll is going to be spent. If we had Wickham signed before the start of the season it would be a good sign to everyone of our intentions.

This, a bid between £8m-£10m plus appearance and performance related fees would be acceptable, and should give us a great chance of signing him before everyone else comes knocking.

This, a bid between £8m-£10m plus appearance and performance related fees would be acceptable, and should give us a great chance of signing him before everyone else comes knocking.

if we were to bring him in i'd still like another frontline forward so we blood the lad carefully........thats me also playing ben arfa as a beardsley type forward.

£10 mill for a player that has just half a season in Championship ? And he will not be a finished article before in a couple of years! That an insane amount, just because he's English. In comparison we paid £5 mill for HBA, and £3.5 for Tiote. We have an attacker emergency, and cannot pay £10 mill now and hope he starts scoring in a couple of seasons. Search abroad, and we will find get the same kind of talent for 1/4 of the price. We need an attacker that will improve us immediately, an attacker which can give us something we lack: pace and clean finishing, and he must be good enough to go right into the team. Wickham doesn't fit into that category.

Guest Roger Kint

£10 mill for a player that has just half a season in Championship ? And he will not be a finished article before in a couple of years! That an insane amount, just because he's English. In comparison we paid £5 mill for HBA, and £3.5 for Tiote. We have an attacker emergency, and cannot pay £10 mill now and hope he starts scoring in a couple of seasons. Search abroad, and we will find get the same kind of talent for 1/4 of the price. We need an attacker that will improve us immediately, an attacker which can give us something we lack: pace and clean finishing, and he must be good enough to go right into the team. Wickham doesn't fit into that category.

How many times have you seen him?

None  ;D But I'm principally against using that amount on one single player, unless we have a chance on a player that OBVIOUSLY (with capital, bold and underlined writing) will make the team stronger, like HBA.  We've made those mistakes plenty of times before (Owen, Luque and Boumsong= £37 mill in transfer fee alone) and that's one of the reasons why we ended up in the mess we did. I want us to spend money, but rather than funneling everything into one player, I want us to use £10 mill on two or three players, spreading the risk. If one of them becomes another Tiote signing, we've practically bought the other two for free.  Using £10 mill on Wickham on the other hand, is a gamble. English players are generally overrated on the transfer market. Spend money, but spend them wisely because when you go big, there's no room for error. As previously mentioned: If we sign two players that cost £7.5 mill each, and both are awarded a £50  000 a week salary, then ALL of Carroll's money will be gone in only FOUR years..

None  ;D But I'm principally against using that amount on one single player, unless we have a chance on a player that OBVIOUSLY (with capital, bold and underlined writing) will make the team stronger, like HBA.  We've made those mistakes plenty of times before (Owen, Luque and Boumsong= £37 mill in transfer fee alone) and that's one of the reasons why we ended up in the mess we did. I want us to spend money, but rather than funneling everything into one player, I want us to use £10 mill on two or three players, spreading the risk. If one of them becomes another Tiote signing, we've practically bought the other two for free.  Using £10 mill on Wickham on the other hand, is a gamble. English players are generally overrated on the transfer market. Spend money, but spend them wisely.

Owen, Luque and Boumsong are rubbish examples. Best example is Jenas who we paid quite a bit for considering his age, yet still made money back on though not as much as his early potential would have suggested. Nothing like Owen, Luque and Boumsong, older players, two foreign one thinking the club was below him and all on massive wages.

How can you compare those two? Jenas was sold for £5 mill, and he dominated the Championship for Nham in the season he was there. I will gladly take Wickham for £5 mill on the other hand. That's a reasonable price. But Wickham is an attacker, and  until now he's bagged a goal for each fourth game. I'm not saying that the lad is not talented, but £10 mill is just too much I believe.

How can you compare those two? Jenas was sold for £5 mill, and he dominated the Championship for Nham in the season he was there. I will gladly take Wickham for £5 mill on the other hand. That's a reasonable price. But Wickham is an attacker, and  until now he's bagged a goal for each fourth game. I'm not saying that the lad is not talented, but £10 mill is just too much I believe.

He's 17, Jenas was 19 and the 2nd most expensive British teenager when we signed him. Ipswich have been playing shite all season, its only now in an attacking team with others playing well he's getting more goals. Most are saying up to £10m with addons anyhow, the initial fee being around £8m mark.

How can you compare those two? Jenas was sold for £5 mill, and he dominated the Championship for Nham in the season he was there. I will gladly take Wickham for £5 mill on the other hand. That's a reasonable price. But Wickham is an attacker, and  until now he's bagged a goal for each fourth game. I'm not saying that the lad is not talented, but £10 mill is just too much I believe.

He's 17, Jenas was 19 and the 2nd most expensive British teenager when we signed him. Ipswich have been playing s**** all season, its only now in an attacking team with others playing well he's getting more goals. Most are saying up to £10m with addons anyhow, the initial fee being around £8m mark.

And Jenas' price was more fair. He was older and more developed as player, and could go straight into the team, which he did.  What you in reality are saying, is that just because he's english. Wickham is twice as good as HBA, and almost three times as god as Tiote. Which leads me to my previous conclusion: English players' value is generally overrated.

He's 17, Jenas was 19 and the 2nd most expensive British teenager when we signed him. Ipswich have been playing s**** all season, its only now in an attacking team with others playing well he's getting more goals. Most are saying up to £10m with addons anyhow, the initial fee being around £8m mark.

And Jenas' price was more fair. He was older and more developed as player, and could go straight into the team, which he did.  What you in reality are saying, is that just because he's english. Wickham is twice as good as HBA, and almost three times as god as Tiote. Which leads me to my previous conclusion: English players are generally overrated.

Jenas didn't go straight in to the team, he was eased in by Bobby used as a sub. In fact I remember Jenas saying he wanted to play more in his first season. Season after he was a starting player and won young player OTY.

Prices have gone up, Wickham wouldn't have cost £8m + addons 9 years ago, probably £3-4m + addons, but that's the world we live in. We also can't just keep going out and buying foreign players, were an English team in case it had slipped your mind, we have limitations to work in, plus Wickham could be classed as club grown if he moved now and played 3 years before he's 21, joining the likes of Krul, Kadar etc...needed for Europe.

English players are overrated price wise, no one is disputing that, but if you think its as easy as going out and spending £3.5m and turning up with a Tiote every time you are very much mistaken.