Grant Wahl running for FIFA President

Kaizero

It's meant to be taken lightheartedly due to the non-existant possibility of it happening, yeah. And as you say the point is to showcase the corruptness of FIFA and get attention directed towards it. Saying that, he does actually have a prepared run for office should he get a nomination, which he is actively searching for, so it's not a "joke" run as that would just be bad PR for himself and not have the wanted effect showcasing FIFAs corruptness. It's a moot run for office, but not per se a "joke" run.

The FISA thing is a joke made by others about his run for presidency due to him being American. The woman thing is not a joke, and Julie Foudy is not a bad option for vice presidency.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Craig-NUFC

Mohamed Bin Hammam has called a press conference for Friday where he is expected to announce his intention to run against Blatter

Mohamed Bin Hammam has called a press conference for Friday where he is expected to announce his intention to run against Blatter

This is like having to choose between Butt and Smith :lol:

Absolutely right. :lol:

Blatter to step down in 2015.

Four more years!? :(

If he wins the election, which he will. Obviously can't bear the thought of World Cups in Russia and Qatar.

They can't go back on their decision though, can they?

Blatter to step down in 2015.

Four more years!? :(

If he wins the election, which he will. Obviously can't bear the thought of World Cups in Russia and Qatar.

They can't go back on their decision though, can they?

Nope, but Blatter wont be the one in the firing line when they come round if hes gone by 2015

• 2 weeks later...
Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Good read for anybody concerned with the transparency of FIFA.

FIFA executive breaks code of silence on executive-committee pay

How much money does a member of the FIFA executive committee make for being on the most powerful board in world soccer? That was the simple question SI.com recently asked FIFA, a nonprofit organization, as well as three members of FIFA's 24-man executive committee.

For an organization that claims to care about transparency, however, FIFA refused to specify how much each elected executive committee member is paid. And when asked if the executive committee voted to give its members personal bonuses from the $2.4 billion profits of World Cup 2010, two executive committee members quickly ended their phone conversations with SI.com.

"I don't discuss matters [that occur] in a private room in a confidential meeting," said Geoff Thompson, a FIFA executive committee member from England. "That's my principles, and I'm not moving off. Bye!"

"You can ask me anything about medicine in football, but not about anything else," said Michel D'Hooghe, a FIFA executive committee member from Belgium who is the chairman of FIFA's medical committee.

FIFA's media office refused to provide any specific answers to SI.com's request for information on pay packages for individual FIFA executive committee members or for the salary, expenses and reimbursements for FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

"As is the case for most private companies and organizations, the information related to individual fees or daily allowances is not public," FIFA said in a written statement.

But FIFA is not a private company. It is a nonprofit organization that receives enormous tax breaks from the Swiss government as a result. If FIFA were based in the United States instead of Switzerland, it would be required to publicly report all of its individual directors' fees, just like any other nonprofit organization. But that kind of transparency is not something that Blatter's FIFA is willing to embrace.

Not everyone in FIFA sees the need for secrecy, however. Mohamed bin Hammam, a FIFA executive committee member from Qatar who is challenging Blatter for the FIFA presidency, told SI.com that he made 200,000 euros ($281,720) from his FIFA duties in 2010. Bin Hammam added that he believed other executive committee members (aside from Blatter, who spends far more time on the job) earned the same amount in 2010.

"We don't get any salaries," Bin Hammam said. "We are only getting bonuses [and FIFA expense reimbursements]." One FIFA source told SI.com that personal bonuses for the executive committee are larger in years when FIFA's profits are higher, as was the case in 2010.

Bin Hammam, a wealthy businessman, insisted that he did not collect his $281,720 for 2010, saying: "If you go to FIFA and ask them, 'How much do you owe Bin Hammam?' they will tell you how much money I have with FIFA ... It is there in my name and it belongs to me. I don't collect it. I don't collect most of it, let me say. But this is not only me. I believe most of my colleagues are the same.

"I don't think FIFA has to hide anything. It is not in FIFA's interests, and not in the interests of the people who are receiving this," said Bin Hammam, who promised that FIFA would reveal "100 percent" of its pay packages for the president and executive committee if he is elected. "Why should we make this so secret and make the public always have a question about it?"

Bin Hammam provided considerably more detail than FIFA was willing to give.

FIFA's media office refused to confirm or deny Bin Hammam's figures. Instead, it sent a link to the 2010 FIFA financial report. The report states that FIFA's "key management personnel" received "short-term employee benefits" of $32.6 million in 2010, a sharp spike upward from $20.9 million in 2009 and $18.5 million in 2008.

When asked to explain what comprised "short-term employee benefits," FIFA responded that they "include the total compensation including wages, salaries and variable compensation as well as daily allowances."

But FIFA provided no new details when pressed to explain exactly how many "key management personnel" there are in FIFA who together collected $32.6 million in 2010.

"Members of the executive committee, the finance committee and the FIFA management, in particular the directors, are regarded as key management personnel," read FIFA's statement to SI.com, repeating verbatim what was already in its financial report.

FIFA's response ignored questions from SI.com, such as:

• How many "key management personnel" are there?

• Which "directors" does this passage refer to?

FIFA was also unwilling to comment on how much money Blatter makes for running the organization.

FIFA's language is so obtuse, in fact, that Bin Hammam -- himself a member of the six-man FIFA finance committee headed by chair Julio Grondona and deputy chair Jack Warner -- had no idea what the term "key management personnel" referred to when SI.com asked him about it.

"Key management personnel? Maybe this is professional stuff," Bin Hammam said. "Maybe it meant professional stuff, not for the executive committee?"

If a key member of FIFA's own finance committee doesn't understand FIFA's impenetrable phrasing, how is the public supposed to figure it out?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/03/30/fifa.executive.pay/index.html?eref=sihp

No surprises really.  

From my standpoint growing up with American sports first, I have to say our leagues are much more transparent than FIFA and the FA are.  So much so that sports journalism is really the only kind of American journalism where there is any demand for accountability from the dominant institutions!

Go get em, Granty!

It really is quite amazing how much is kept secret. One thing that drives me nuts is guessing how much a player is being paid. In American sports you know everything when the deal is signed.

Here is the contract information for Alex Rodriguez:

* 10 years/$275M (2008-17)

o re-signed by Yankees as a free agent 12/13/07

o $10M signing bonus ($2M paid upon approval, $1M paid each Jan. 15, 2009-2013, $3M paid Jan. 15, 2014)

o 08:$27M, 09:$32M, 10:$32M, 11:$31M, 12:$29M, 13:$28M, 14:$25M, 15:$21M, 16:$20M, 17:$20M

o $30M marketing agreement based on home run milestones ($6M each for reaching 660, 714, 755 and tying and breaking major league HR record)

o no-trade protection

o perks: may purchase 4 best available season tickets for 2008, 4 Legends Suite or comparable season tickets for 2009-17

o Texas obligated to fund $9M as part of deferred compensation provision in previous contract (to be paid with interest in $3M increments in 2008, 2009 & 2010)

* 10 years/$252M (2001-10)

o signed by Texas as free agent 12/00 (opted out 10/29/07)

o $10M signing bonus (paid between 12/00 & 3/05)

o salaries: 01-04:$21M/year, 05-06:$25M/year, 07-10:$27M/year

(with bonuses, Rodriguez earned $185.45M from 2001 to 2007)

o no-trade clause

o Rodriguez may void after 2007 season (10-day window after WS)

o Rodriguez may void after 2008 or 2009 unless club increases 2009-10 salary by $5M/year or $1M more than highest-paid MLB position player

o club may offer salary arbitration if Rodriguez voids contract 2007-09, but club may not offer salary arbitration after 2010

o 2008-2010 financial obligations (eliminated if Rodriguez voids):

+ NY: $50,695,500 (08:$15.884M, 09:$16.8985M, 10:$17.913M)

+ Texas: $21,304,500 (08:$8.116M, 09:$7.1015M, 10:$6.087M)

o after 1 year (12/01), Rodriguez agreed to defer $45M in salary to 2011-20 at 3% (later reduced)

o waived no-trade clause 2/04, allowing trade to Yankees

with 7 years/$183M remaining on contract:

+ Texas agreed to pay remaining $4M in signing bonus & $67M of remaining $179M in salary

+ NY agreed to pay $112M of the remaining $179M in salary

+ For further details on 2001-10 contract, click here.

o award bonuses:

+ $50,000 for finishing 6th-10th in MVP vote

+ $0.1M each for making All Star team, receiving most All Star votes, Silver Slugger, making post-season AP, Baseball America or Sporting News All Star team, being named player of the year by AP, Baseball America or Sporting News

+ $0.15M each for LCS or LDS MVP

+ $0.2M for WS MVP or finishing 2nd-5th in MVP vote

+ $0.5M for MVP ($1M for second MVP, $1.5M for subsequent MVPs) (received $0.5M for 2003 AL MVP, $1M for 2005 AL MVP)

* 4 years/$10.7M (1997-2000) (Seattle)

o 97:$1.0625M, 98:$2.1262M, 99:$3.1125M, 00:$4.3625M

* 3 years/$1.3M (1994-96)

o signed Major League contract with Seattle 8/93

o $1M signing bonus

o 94:$433,333, 95:$433,333, 96:$433,333

* drafted 1993 (1-1) (Westminster Christian HS, Miami)

* agent: Scott Boras

* ML service: 16.011

You can get something similar for pretty much every MLB player.

Blatter is speaking to the FA ahead of his presidential campaign. I hope the FA tell him exactly where he can go and exactly who they will be voting for.

:lol: I am sure they do! They got assraped in their WC bid, yet don't have the balls to nominate another

candidate for the President role. They are as spineless as all other FA`s.

Blatter or Bin hammam, what's the difference?

So corrupt it is not even funny.