Epic NUFC photos

Guest Tall Striker

33 minutes ago, HTT II said:

No white rims on the socks either..

Ha very good points there - I can’t find my original (I took loads of photos from original newspapers) but concur with your findings although he was always pretty squat. here is a photograph from 1929/30

2C3BE2EF-CFE8-433A-B7B3-3351CCA9F4D6.png

Guest HTT II
13 hours ago, Toontimes said:

Ha very good points there - I can’t find my original (I took loads of photos from original newspapers) but concur with your findings although he was always pretty squat. here is a photograph from 1929/30

2C3BE2EF-CFE8-433A-B7B3-3351CCA9F4D6.png

He was stocky for his size, but compared to most of that era, he was lithe and tiny. I’m pretty sure that’s not him in the pic posted earlier. The stripes are more of the Wor Jackie era in terms of thickness and how many too. It could be a player from that team if it is indeed a NUFC player? I’m unsure if Hughie represented us in a friendly/exhibition during Wor Jackie’s era which might explain the pic. Also he was a full blown alcoholic after he left us and by many accounts had lost weight.

26 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He was stocky for his size, but compared to most of that era, he was lithe and tiny. I’m pretty sure that’s not him in the pic posted earlier. The stripes are more of the Wor Jackie era in terms of thickness and how many too. It could be a player from that team if it is indeed a NUFC player? I’m unsure if Hughie represented us in a friendly/exhibition during Wor Jackie’s era which might explain the pic. Also he was a full blown alcoholic after he left us and by many accounts had lost weight.

I believe It is definitely him but It is obviously a picture taken when he was a lot older and could well be from when he was at Gateshead. Of course the photograph dimensions may be a bit off too. Anyroad here is another one from his debut in 1925/26.

53E29FBC-7E0F-4913-AB9A-608C9D433D9F.jpeg

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

I believe It is definitely him but It is obviously a picture taken when he was a lot older and could well be from when he was at Gateshead. Of course the photograph dimensions may be a bit off too. Anyroad here is another one from his debut in 1925/26.

53E29FBC-7E0F-4913-AB9A-608C9D433D9F.jpeg

He’s my hero so I love anything about him, thanks for sharing!

Pat Howard was a “no-nonsense” defender who occasionally took the concept of getting a grip on the opposition a little too literally. The folically challenged Terry Darracott of Everton Is in the grip of things on this occasion.

DAED00BA-EF41-42ED-90AC-6BD3B358E186.thumb.jpeg.2b62a406fad41e3edb111010e14b4b47.jpeg

Guest HTT II
Just now, Toontimes said:

Pat Howard was a “no-nonsense” defender who occasionally took the concept of getting a grip on the opposition a little too literally. The folically challenged Terry Darracott of Everton Is in the grip of things on this occasion.

DAED00BA-EF41-42ED-90AC-6BD3B358E186.thumb.jpeg.2b62a406fad41e3edb111010e14b4b47.jpeg

Looks a tough bastard, was gonna ask who that was in your profile pic. And the Everton player, how old does he look man ha ha!

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Looks a tough bastard, was gonna ask who that was in your profile pic. And the Everton player, how old does he look man ha ha!

According to Wikipedia he was born in 1950 which must make him about 23/24 or thereabouts, must have had a tough paper round.

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

According to Wikipedia he was born in 1950 which must make him about 23/24 or thereabouts, must have had a tough paper round.

Bloody hell!

1168502.jpg

Hughie Gallacher’s debut, huge gasps from the crowd at how small he was…

Hughie-Gallacher-the-Chel-001.jpg?width=

Not for us, but for Chelsea, a small man (5.5ft) with a giant leap…

DMR_NEC_130317quay_17.jpg

Brave as a lion…

His stats…

https://www.national-football-teams.com/player/20362/Hughie_Gallacher.html

Fantastic photos there, he is also my favourite player and quite a character by all accounts! 

Bloody hell!

I’m not so sure it is him now because he does look older than other photos of him, see what you have done to me now! Perhaps Paddy squeezed all the life out of him.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Toontimes said:

Fantastic photos there, he is also my favourite player and quite a character by all accounts! 

Aye, I was gonna write a book on him years ago and went to the city library which at the time on the old computers had loads of match reports from his time here from the Chronicle and national papers, what a fantastic read some of those reports were. He was fearsome, had a prodigious leap on him, was two footed, cantankerous and was too quick and skilful for big burly defenders back in the day. The greatest player we’ve ever had IMO, such a shame how his life ended. If I had a time machine…

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

gotta love the look of that coppa too.

Aye, proper old school bobby! I fucking love the history of our club!

Edited by HTT II

Just now, HTT II said:

Aye, I was gonna write a book on him years ago and went to the city library which at the time on the old computers had loads of match reports from his time here from the Chronicle and national papers, what a fantastic read some of those reports were. He was fearsome, had a prodigious leap on him, was two footed, cantankerous and was too quick and skilful for big burly defenders back in the day. The greatest player we’ve ever had IMO, such a shame how his life ended. If I had a time machine…

Yes I went to the Local Studies library all the time and took photos of match reports and photos from loads of seasons and was mightily embarrassed when I occasionally ripped the pages. I also use the British Newspaper archive now. Paul Joannou did a biography of him but it was a bit skimpy.

Guest HTT II

Our record attendance at SJP was his return after selling him with Chelsea, I’m surprised Leazes Terrace still stands with the number of fans on the roofs, lampposts and hanging out of windows etc.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Toontimes said:

Yes I went to the Local Studies library all the time and took photos of match reports and photos from loads of seasons and was mightily embarrassed when I occasionally ripped the pages. I also use the British Newspaper archive now. Paul Joannou did a biography of him but it was a bit skimpy.

I’ve read everything there possibly is about him, sadly, as much as we know, we didn’t get much in the way from the great man himself in his own words.

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’ve read everything there possibly is about him, sadly, as much as we know, we didn’t get much in the way from the great man himself in his own words.

You may have already seen them but there was a series of articles written by him in the Sunday Sun in April/May 1932 entitled “Stormy Incidents in my career” . I took pictures of them but the quality is poor and only parts are readable.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Toontimes said:

You may have already seen them but there was a series of articles written by him in the Sunday Sun in April/May 1932 entitled “Stormy Incidents in my career” . I took pictures of them but the quality is poor and only parts are readable.

I no doubt have, I’m sure he used to do some articles for the NOTW too in his day after he officially retired.