Epic NUFC photos

Guest Tall Striker

12 minutes ago, HTT II said:

EB631-C16-45-EB-4-BB5-B846-A77-C96-AB691
D3-D87-D9-E-E82-A-4725-99-D1-6809505-A13

I love the way the hats give away the social class, not many cloth caps there so must be the posh stand. Here’s a picture from the cheaper bits could be supporters of Newcastle or Sunderland! A cloth cap cornucopia plus the occasional female   personage.

C9047843-4A5B-4B19-9B09-727CCC175972.thumb.jpeg.9c614c639a6911f4b7eb990cb4944620.jpeg

Edited by Toontimes

Guest HTT II

In fact neither does the top. The socks don’t match with Notts County, Grimsby or Gateshead I believe.

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

In fact neither does the top. The socks don’t match with Notts County, Grimsby or Gateshead I believe.

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

From your own website, is it not Norman Dodgin? Although the socks don’t match…

http://nufc-history.co.uk/nufc-1948-49-season.html

I think it is a picture from his time at Grimsby - there is a photo of him playing for them in the PJ book and the kit does seem to match. I think the baggy shirt is making him look fatter than he is.

AD300475-05A1-4E0D-A024-2615C1306295.jpeg

Edited by Toontimes

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

I think it is a picture from his time at Grimsby - there is a photo of him playing for them in the PJ book and the kit does seem to match. I think the baggy shirt is making him look fatter than he is.

AD300475-05A1-4E0D-A024-2615C1306295.jpeg

Good find, the hairline looks off though, but photos can be very deceptive from those days. He needs a statue outside of SJP like…

19 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Again your website btw, I love it, such a treasure trove of facts, stats, knowledge and history. 

It's magnificent. Bit tricky to find sometimes though I've found...

Guest HTT II

Going back to Hughie, one match report I read, he got the ball on the half-way line, a chest down from the ‘keeper’s kick, turned his man and then went on a run that beat 4 other players before dinking a left foot shot just outside the box past the other ‘keeper, in that day and age, with heavy balls, heavy boots, burly defenders and clarty pitches, that was some feat. I knew of someone who is sadly no longer with us who saw him for Gateshead and said even at his age he was something else and a twinkle toe of a player with his tiny feet. That same person also said Len White was the best CF he’s seen for NUFC.

Edited by HTT II

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Going back to Hughie, one match report I read, he got the ball on the half-way line, a chest down from the ‘keeper’s kick, turned his man and then went on a run that beat 4 other players before dinking a left foot shot just outside the box past the other ‘keeper, in that day and age, with heavy balls, heavy boots, burly defenders and clarty pitches, that was some feat. I knew of someone who is sadly no longer with us who saw him for Gateshead and said even at his age he was something else and a twinkle toe of a player with his tiny fee. That same person also said Len White us the best CF he’s seen for NUFC.

Never realised he had such a big head.

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

Again your website btw, I love it, such a treasure trove of facts, stats, knowledge and history. 

Thank you -really appreciate the support - I have loads of other diaries in various stages of completion, but unfortunately I am a bit like Joelinton, I cover a lot of ground but can’t finish.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

It's magnificent. Bit tricky to find sometimes though I've found...

thank you very much for the support - can I ask what you mean by being tricky to find? Do you mean it is tricky to find information that you are looking for? I know I probably need a search page and some “high level” pages which give bSic details such as when we won the cup or Leagueetc etc. But interested to know what you meant as I want it to be as easy to navigate as possible, thank you

Guest HTT II
15 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Never realised he had such a big head.

He was a big head in that he was arrogant on the pitch and would flaunt his wealth and status off it, but he was also very charitable, once giving a homeless person his jacket outside of the Central Station during winter and he would always buy rounds for fans in the pubs he would regularly frequent, mind they bought him even more…

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, Toontimes said:

thank you very much for the support - can I ask what you mean by being tricky to find? Do you mean it is tricky to find information that you are looking for? I know I probably need a search page and some “high level” pages which give bSic details such as when we won the cup or Leagueetc etc. But interested to know what you meant as I want it to be as easy to navigate as possible, thank you

I mean locating the site in the first place through search engines etc. Navigability of the site itself is absolutely fine. :thup:

Guest HTT II
Just now, Yorkie said:

I mean locating the site in the first place through search engines etc. Navigability of the site itself is absolutely fine. :thup:

Needs to be linked on here somewhere IMO.

20 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Going back to Hughie, one match report I read, he got the ball on the half-way line, a chest down from the ‘keeper’s kick, turned his man and then went on a run that beat 4 other players before dinking a left foot shot just outside the box past the other ‘keeper, in that day and age, with heavy balls, heavy boots, burly defenders and clarty pitches, that was some feat. I knew of someone who is sadly no longer with us who saw him for Gateshead and said even at his age he was something else and a twinkle toe of a player with his tiny fee. That same person also said Len White us the best CF he’s seen for NUFC.

He must a have been a fantastic player because so many people who saw the great teams of the fifties still rated him as the best player ever. Also it is interesting that so many people rate Len White so highly, I have seen this said many times. There is a great video of the 1926/27 team on YouTube where you can see Hughie blabbing away continuously - I would love it if a lip reader could transcribe what he is saying.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Oh thank you - I don’t rate that highly on search engines because of the lack of links to the site - that’s why I keep dropping them in where I can! Easiest way to find it is your searching for “Newcastle 1897/98” or some other season - doesn’t work too well for newer seasons but does for older ones.

thank you.

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

He must a have been a fantastic player because so many people who saw the great teams of the fifties still rated him as the best player ever. Also it is interesting that so many people rate Len White so highly, I have seen this said many times. There is a great video of the 1926/27 team on YouTube where you can see Hughie blabbing away continuously - I would love it if a lip reader could transcribe what he is saying.

Do you have a link to the video?

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He was a big head in that he was arrogant on the pitch and would flaunt his wealth and status off it, but he was also very charitable, once giving a timeless person his jacket outside of the Central Station during winter and he would always buy rounds for fans in the pubs he would regularly frequent, mind they bought him even more…

He certainly could cause trouble wherever he went and seemed to revel in it. In one game he repeatedly refused to kick off properly and captain Jack Hill had to force him to. But he could also be a sportsman too, once deliberately missing a penalty that he thought should not have been given.

Edited by Toontimes