Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

In actuality I think Pardew was happy to have Carr buy a bunch of foreginers he could claim he knew nothing about.

Why? Because as soon as things went pear shaped he could just blame them all for their DNA

I'm not sure he did this but I do think we haven't bought the right type of player often enough.

The DNA lark is funny but a number of the players don't have the right style or nous to work in the PL. Or at least in the style of Pardew. We have a small and weak side. How has that happened?

Because we've been buying players for value rather than how they'll fit together as a team.

In actuality I think Pardew was happy to have Carr buy a bunch of foreginers he could claim he knew nothing about.

Why? Because as soon as things went pear shaped he could just blame them all for their DNA

I'm not sure he did this but I do think we haven't bought the right type of player often enough.

The DNA lark is funny but a number of the players don't have the right style or nous to work in the PL. Or at least in the style of Pardew. We have a small and weak side. How has that happened?

Because we've been buying players for value rather than how they'll fit together as a team.

Look down our spine. Not a single player comfortably over 6'0 or strong in the air for their position. Not a single player who outstanding physical attributes. It's awful.

A part of me thinks Obertan is in the line-up partly because he's decent in the air for someone in his position.

He would have done well for us. He holds it up well, is good in the air, and has good movement and mobility.

He's got how many one on ones in the first two games. Missed a clear one against Chelsea, before getting another one that led to Courtois' sending off. Caught us the same way too.

Looks really good.

There's a lot of players who have been hit and miss in France who have done well in England tbf, it's partly due to the fact Ligue 1 is so defensive and slow which makes it difficult for an athlete to excel so much. The game is a lot more open in England so it opens it up for them, at least the ones who are more on the athletic side instead of the technical side.

Despite the fact Ben Arfa has both, i genuinely think the English game was so much more suited to his game than the French game was and he's not the only one.

Look down our spine. Not a single player comfortably over 6'0 or strong in the air for their position. Not a single player who outstanding physical attributes. It's awful.

A part of me thinks Obertan is in the line-up partly because he's decent in the air for someone in his position.

While I'm not a fan of long ball football, I do think you need to have some height to the spine of the team, which is why I have reservations about a midfield pairing of Vurn and Colback. We are not just losing height, but the athleticism required for box to box running. It doesn't help that they occupy the same space either.

TBF to the club I never thought Gomis would adapt so well. In fact, playing for us he might not have. He looked hit and miss in France.

Aye, gets a number of chances for Swansea but he's a better overall player than I thought. Can hold it up or play on the shoulder. Excellent header leading up to Ayew's goal.

There's a lot of players who have been hit and miss in France who have done well in England tbf, it's partly due to the fact Ligue 1 is so defensive and slow which makes it difficult for an athlete to excel so much. The game is a lot more open in England so it opens it up for them, at least the ones who are more on the athletic side instead of the technical side.

Despite the fact Ben Arfa has both, i genuinely think the English game was so much more suited to his game than the French game was and he's not the only one.

This makes sense.

Height isn't the issue with them two, the issue is neither are very progressive and both do the same thing.

Partly chicken and egg.

If one was big and mobile it would add a genuine dimension to the pair. They contribute to a small and weak spine. Down the spine there's no one that can athletically dominate any decent opposition.

under SBR we could run teams ragged. Even a few years ago - Tiote & Cabaye could put up a decent fight against most other midfields. Best and Ba would give defenders a hard time. Colo & his partners where in better physical and mental knick than they are now.

Depends really, that big and mobile player would have to actually be offensively capable because we know Anita and Colback are not and i have made my feelings known about Colback's lack of positional awareness.

IMO if Colback could cover ground easier his positional problems wouldn't be such a big deal. Tiote struggles positionally but he played a number of years in the PL to a decent standard in a 4-4-2 just through running ability.

I reckon SMC would be more inclined to trust Wij at CM if Colback/Anita could impose themselves physically on games. We are essentially playing Wij as a cross between a #10 and a CM and still getting dominated in midfield.

Height isn't the issue with them two, the issue is neither are very progressive and both do the same thing.

You don't need a team of giants to counter teams with big players, just a few in key areas is enough, so the talk of height down the spine of a team has merit IMO. Look at Man U, not really a physically big side, but they have it where it matters, especially in defence.

Don't disagree in general but as it attains to just Colback and Anita, to me that's not the reason the partnership is so shit.

True, the partnership is shit because Colback doesn't really offer enough either defensively or going forward. Anita might be able to do a job as a holding midfielder, but I still prefer that type of player to have some real physical presence. Tiote in his first season was immense precisely because he could boss other midfielders.

Who on his list from the past have we not bought yet? Can only think of Aubameyang and Lacazette but no chance there. Gameiro and Erding would appear long gone. Any defenders we have tried and failed to get before?

Who on his list from the past have we not bought yet? Can only think of Aubameyang and Lacazette but no chance there. Gameiro and Erding would appear long gone. Any defenders we have tried and failed to get before?

Gomis? Ayew? Bony? Ghoulam?

what was that lad he wanted called who went to west ham and was shit?

Gomis? Ayew? Bony? Ghoulam?

Was asking about defenders. If we sort out the defence too Ashley will have bolted his horse on to his fecking cart.