The worst players in recent club history

Ishmael

Though he was clearly well past his best it by then, Shearer still got 14 goals that year - 10 in the Premier League. Off the back of three major injuries too.

He got 7 PL goals from open play despite starting all season. Leon Best will easily better that despite not playing till January.

In fairness though Best isn't 35+ and playing after a boatload of serious and hampering injuries.

That is irrelevant.

No its not. A comparison is being made between two strikers, why should the circumstances be dismissed as irrelevant?

Irrelevant to the main argument.

What main arguement?

That Shearer's place in the team during the season in question should not have been so secure and Luque should have been given considerably more game time in his natural position. 

Guest elbee909

I don't really understand why this thread has Shearer anywhere near it, what with the title and all.  I suppose Shearer's not been discussed enough today though.

I genuinely despised seeing the slow and aged Shearer crawling around the pitch that season.

Slightly tarnished my respect for him, which has since been further blotted by more recent activity.

I've yet to see genuine reasoning for this heap of jizz, so no. :thup:

That Shearer's place in the team during the season in question should not have been so secure and Luque should have been given considerably more game time in his natural position. 

Drogba and Torres have only got nine this season, Rooney only seven (with god knows how many in open play).  Picking a Leon Best purple patch doesn't really prove a point.

It proves that Shearer's place in the team shouldn't have been anywhere near as secure as it was.

In 04-05, he managed 4 from open play in an entire PL season. He was done and shouldn't have been in the first Xl unless it was unavoidable.

I don't see how you can blame him for scoring pens, if the great African leader Obafemi Martins could put a pen away maybe his scoring record would've been better.

Shearer still brought more to the team than goals as well.  I like Best and hope he keeps scoring but as a team player I don't rate him very highly, he can't hold the ball up, doesn't link up very well and can't really win free kicks - Shearer was still doing a lot of those things even right at the end of his career.

Edit - I'm still not actually how what you said about Best shows Shearer shouldn't have been in the first eleven.  Replace Shearer's name with Rooney this season and you can make the same argument.  Ask me who I would want to line up for us next season....it ain't the lad from Nottingham.

I don't really understand why this thread has Shearer anywhere near it, what with the title and all.  I suppose Shearer's not been discussed enough today though.

Read the discussion and you will understand why.

I just can't understand how anyone would want Luque in the team ahead of Shearer, even in his last year. It seems the facade lived on even after countless managers rejected him and he left without a trace of impact. Completely delusional. He was gutless, never suited to the league... and consequently bled the club dry of God-knows-what wages, an important squad place, and £10m.

Though he was clearly well past his best it by then, Shearer still got 14 goals that year - 10 in the Premier League. Off the back of three major injuries too.

He got 7 PL goals from open play despite starting all season. Leon Best will easily better that despite not playing till January.

How the hell is that even relevant? Don't answer - it isn't. And the penalties argument is something i've heard from a Mackems and Smoggies - so don't stoop to that level. It's just as stupid as your second sentence.

Shearer should have been replaced as soon as Sir Bobby was - i can't deny that. But that wasn't his fault and he just got on with it. Compare him to some of the some of the turgid s**** since... he scored more goals in that year than any one of Owen, Martins and Viduka, Sibierski the following years - and more than Shola, Lovenkrands and Best (there's a reason he didn't play till January) this year. So to even bring him into this circle of debate is a f***ing joke, even in his last season.

So you agree with me in principal? Not sure why you dared to challenge me, tbh.

Guest Chubby Jason

I was referring to his game against Man United when someone referred to him as "class". He looked OK rather than anything special and soon went to utter s***, does that answer your question? I'm struggling to see what's so amusing about that to be honest.

So how is looking average against Man U in his first PL game even approaching relevant?

As I already said it was a response to someone describing him as "class" in that game. Do you understand now?

How the hell is that even relevant? Don't answer - it isn't. And the penalties argument is something i've heard from a Mackems and Smoggies - so don't stoop to that level. It's just as stupid as your second sentence.

Shearer should have been replaced as soon as Sir Bobby was - i can't deny that. But that wasn't his fault and he just got on with it. Compare him to some of the some of the turgid s**** since... he scored more goals in that year than any one of Owen, Martins and Viduka, Sibierski the following years - and more than Shola, Lovenkrands and Best (there's a reason he didn't play till January) this year. So to even bring him into this circle of debate is a f***ing joke, even in his last season.

So you agree with me in principal? Not sure why you dared to challenge me, tbh.

What's your principal? Maybe you weren't actually challenging me, and just playing the fly-by statistician? :dontknow:

:lol:

I just can't understand how anyone would want Luque in the team ahead of Shearer, even in his last year. It seems the facade lived on even after countless managers rejected him and he left without a trace of impact. Completely delusional. He was gutless, never suited to the league... and consequently bled the club dry of God-knows-what wages, an important squad place, and £10m.

Are you talking about the Luque before the serious injury and mistreatment or the Luque prior to those events?

Guest BooBoo

I dont have the fixtures to hand but in Luque's debut season, he picked up an injury straight away, was out for months and when he came back at the end of the season (which was Shearer's last season), Shearer was scoring goals under Roeder and Luque got a small amount of sub appearances., including the memorable 4-1 at Sunderland. Its simply not the case that Shearer hindered Luque, they were barely both fit at the same time other than a few games

Are you talking about the Luque before the serious injury and mistreatment or the Luque prior to those events?

He's talking about the actual Luque, not the hypothetical world beater.

This is where you lot are failing to understand the argument and so there is no point continuing it. 

:lol:

What actually was that serious injury? Wasn't it a hamstring strain? Even if it was serious... the inclusion of Shearer into the argument becomes all the more relevant - i suppose. There's an example of a guy who suffered a shitload of genuinely serious injuries - and came back to score 14 goals just before the ember finally burnt out.

Luque, the poor bairn, doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Shearer. Even in the context of the time. Shearer had more heart in a toenail than Luque did in his entire body.

You've just been told by someone who saw plenty of him that he was a very good player when he joined us in 2005. He was never given a chance to prove it, not really. The blame can't fall at Shearer's door, it falls at the door of those who stupidly picked him when it was obvious he wasn't up to it anymore.

Someone on here wrote a brilliant and heavy-hearted article after the mackems 3-2 game in 05 about the immediate need to drop him. Really summed the situation up well.

This is where you lot are failing to understand the argument and so there is no point continuing it. 

You're building a Luque who never existed, a Luque who should have taken Shearer's place in the team.  The actual Luque was there and did nothing to earn his wages or justify his price tag.

It's as simple as that.

You've just been told by someone who saw plenty of him that he was a very good player when he joined us in 2005. He was never given a chance to prove it, not really. The blame can't fall at Shearer's door, it falls at the door of those who stupidly picked him when it was obvious he wasn't up to it anymore.

You talking about Owen now?  :bluestar:

Luque never had the bottle to get back to where he was before the injury, and that's why he never made it here or anywhere else.

The guy's 32 and currently a free agent. I've started to enjoy the comparison with Shearer, so i'll just mention that he was scoring goals in the San Siro for us at 32.