The worst players in recent club history

Ishmael

I just can't understand how anyone would want Luque in the team ahead of Shearer, even in his last year. It seems the facade lived on even after countless managers rejected him and he left without a trace of impact. Completely delusional. He was gutless, never suited to the league... and consequently bled the club dry of God-knows-what wages, an important squad place, and £10m.

Are you talking about the Luque before the serious injury and mistreatment or the Luque prior to those events?

He's talking about the actual Luque, not the hypothetical world beater.

This is where you lot are failing to understand the argument and so there is no point continuing it. 

You're building a Luque who never existed, a Luque who should have taken Shearer's place in the team.  The actual Luque was there and did nothing to earn his wages or justify his price tag.

It's as simple as that.

Again, you were about 7 at the time and you're completely ignoring what you've just been told by VI - who saw plenty of him.

Guest BooBoo

All you can say in Luque's defence was that he suffered a genuinely horrific injury (not just a pull but a full tear of his hamstring) before he'd even got acquainted with the club.

It was shocking to see how much mobility Luque had lost upon his return. 

Crippled much of his game... much like another player we've been discussing :lol:

Except the other player had different qualities that allowed him to compete for longer despite his physical limitations.

I just can't understand how anyone would want Luque in the team ahead of Shearer, even in his last year. It seems the facade lived on even after countless managers rejected him and he left without a trace of impact. Completely delusional. He was gutless, never suited to the league... and consequently bled the club dry of God-knows-what wages, an important squad place, and £10m.

Are you talking about the Luque before the serious injury and mistreatment or the Luque prior to those events?

He's talking about the actual Luque, not the hypothetical world beater.

This is where you lot are failing to understand the argument and so there is no point continuing it. 

You're building a Luque who never existed, a Luque who should have taken Shearer's place in the team.  The actual Luque was there and did nothing to earn his wages or justify his price tag.

It's as simple as that.

Again, you were about 7 at the time and you're completely ignoring what you've just been told by VI - who saw plenty of him.

a) You don't even know how old I am

b) it doesn't matter what he did before he came to us, otherwise Barnes and Rush would be two of the greatest players in our history

Even if I was that young I don't see how it makes a difference, you're what 25? and still make judgements on players who played in the early nineties as well as Ronaldo who played his best football when you were probably 12-13.

Crippled much of his game... much like another player we've been discussing :lol:

Except the other player had different qualities that allowed him to compete for longer despite his physical limitations.

Aye, graft and determination.

Luque never had the bottle to get back to where he was before the injury, and that's why he never made it here or anywhere else.

The guy's 32 and currently a free agent. I've started to enjoy the comparison with Shearer, so i'll just mention that he was scoring goals in the San Siro for us at 32.

The overall comparison is completely irrelevant, man. It's that type of sentimental garbage that contributed to us going down.

The 05-06 comparison is relevant.

amongst many other qualities, yeah.

Pfff, i consider that an argumental victory tbh. :razz:

If you don't have graft and determination, which Luque never had, you won't make it. And he hasn't. A lot of potential, i'll happily concede as i trust VI's opinion - but never the mental abilities to make anything of a career after Deportivo and (more importantly) the injury.

Luque the sort of player that made Sandro Pistone look like rambo.

Good call on Cacraper way past his best we he joined us & he very rarely played for Lyon before joining us which was a indicator of him losing form or Houllier utilitilising his excellent man-management skills.

Cacapa never recovered from the Portsmouth fiasco, which he was unfairly scapegoated for (though he did play pretty horrendously). He and Faye looked a decent partnership prior to that.

If you don't have graft and determination, which Luque never had, you won't make it. And he hasn't. A lot of potential, i'll happily concede as i trust VI's opinion - but never the mental abilities to make anything of a career after Deportivo and (more importantly) the injury.

Unless you have a good manager who is able to get the best of his players and be strong enough to select the strongest players at that :p

But yeah, I agree in regards to players mentality having a significant impact (obviously).  Must remember the extent of Luque's injury and the social difficulties that would have surrounded it.

Guest BooBoo

The Fat Sam team was littered with players who had blink-and-you-miss-it NUFC careers- Faye, Rozenthal and Cacapa.

Cacapa never recovered from the Portsmouth fiasco, which he was unfairly scapegoated for (though he did play pretty horrendously). He and Faye looked a decent partnership prior to that.

Faye was more that decent.  Ridiculous that we sold him when we did.

Was that the 1-4? I remember being out somewhere with a friend and I joked at 3.15 or whatever it was, "I bet you're 3-0 down already."

Suffice to say, when Soccer Saturday came on, he wasn't amused.

The Fat Sam team was littered with players who had blink-and-you-miss-it NUFC careers- Faye, Rozenthal and Cacapa.

For me, Rozehnal needed more time and we shouldn't have sold Faye so quickly too.

Luque didn't seem to have any kind of desire after leaving you, to be frank. Barely played for Ajax and he just had a good (actually quite good) season at Málaga before sitting on his arse picking up wages until they released him this January.  But I stand by what I said, Deportivo/Mallorca Luque was a brilliant player. His mobility and overall nippiness was a big asset so probably the injury hurt him a lot.

Guest BooBoo

Unless you have a good manager who is able to get the best of his players and be strong enough to select the strongest players at that :p

But yeah, I agree in regards to players mentality having a significant impact (obviously).  Must remember the extent of Luque's injury and the social difficulties that would have surrounded it.

Social difficulties is a very weak argument. Plenty players have joined the club from places more far flung than Spain and produced a lot more in terms of talent and committment. I sometimes think that is just an easy excuse for under performing foreign players.

Faye was more that decent.  Ridiculous that we sold him when we did.

He fell out with Keegan.