Finances 09/10 - 'Our vision for the club is to finish 10th or above every year'

quayside

Guest Brazilianbob

Some people need to give themselves a good hard kick up the a*se!  Ok so Mike Ashley could have avoided the relegation.  How?  We were skint and losing money hand over fist.  So you wanted him to put his hand in his pocket and buy players?  You all say he is a big fat c**t but you are happy for him to spend his dosh.  Ok so he does that and has to pay big wages to those players to keep us in the EPL, so we lose even more money hand over fist.  Existing like that means eventually you reach a point where even the Sky TV and media money is outstripped by the outgoings, so he then has to put his hand in his pocket every season to the detriment of his own personal fortune.  Get real people!  The way he has gone about turning round the then limited future of NUFC is remarkable.  OK so he has made mistakes, but who hasn't made mistakes that they truly truly regret, but no amount of regrets can change what has gone before, so stop being so insular and accept he might know a little bit more than most NUFC fans about turning a business into a profitable oprganization.

Urgh. I really do despair.

Instead of despairing lets all read your blueprint for success.  I guarantee it will involve spending money we dont have!

Guest Smirky

Ok so Mike Ashley could have avoided the relegation.  How?  

There isn't enough space on the internet to answer this.

Short answer.... BACKING KEEGAN.. would have been a start.

At the time I thought it was the wrong appointment and that Mike Ashley was simply pandering to the wishes of the NUFC fans who went crazy over the appointment, despite the fact that KK had failed at England and Man City and hadn't worked in football for over 3 years.  But using that argument of backing KK, I take it you would have been just as happy to see Ashley backing JFK in the transfer market with big money?

Wow - dont think I have ever heard something so wrong

Everybody spends money they don't have. Society as we know it wouldn't function otherwise.

But could it have any negative effects? A global financial crisis, with rising cost of credit, no interest on savings, high unemployment and massive cuts in public services for example?

Oh hang on...

Guest Brazilianbob

Everybody spends money they don't have. Society as we know it wouldn't function otherwise.

Which brings us full circle back to the point where eventually the outgings will outstrip the sky/media/gate money.  What do we do then?  Remortgage until the banks foreclose and send in the bailiffs!

Guest icemanblue

Some people need to give themselves a good hard kick up the a*se!  Ok so Mike Ashley could have avoided the relegation.  How?  We were skint and losing money hand over fist.  So you wanted him to put his hand in his pocket and buy players?  You all say he is a big fat c**t but you are happy for him to spend his dosh.  Ok so he does that and has to pay big wages to those players to keep us in the EPL, so we lose even more money hand over fist.  Existing like that means eventually you reach a point where even the Sky TV and media money is outstripped by the outgoings, so he then has to put his hand in his pocket every season to the detriment of his own personal fortune.  Get real people!  The way he has gone about turning round the then limited future of NUFC is remarkable.  OK so he has made mistakes, but who hasn't made mistakes that they truly truly regret, but no amount of regrets can change what has gone before, so stop being so insular and accept he might know a little bit more than most NUFC fans about turning a business into a profitable oprganization.

Urgh. I really do despair.

Instead of despairing lets all read your blueprint for success.  I guarantee it will involve spending money we dont have!

I'm not going to comment on money matters, because I'm not a financial expert. What I am is a Newcastle supporter, and I'd prefer to not see my club relegated. That could have been avoided with a relatively small investment and a modicum of common sense.

Probability of someone willing to pay £285.8m for buying Newcastle from Ashley? I think it's close to zero.

Yep, that was my first thought too. The club isn't worth anything like £300 million, but there's no way Ashley is selling for a penny less. Like him or loathe him, we're stuck with Mike Ashley...

I don't think we can put too much stock in these numbers, though; the Championship season was always going to be a disaster financially. Total debt, revenue, wage-to-turnover et al are all significantly different only nine months later. The figures released in twelve months time (ie this season's figures) will be the really interesting ones - even before you think about the Carroll cash...

Ok so Mike Ashley could have avoided the relegation.  How? 

There isn't enough space on the internet to answer this.

Short answer.... BACKING KEEGAN.. would have been a start.

:facepalm:

What you think we would have still gone down ?

We would be about 2 years behind where we are now.

I'm not going to comment on money matters, because I'm not a financial expert. What I am is a Newcastle supporter, and I'd prefer to not see my club relegated. That could have been avoided with a relatively small investment and a modicum of common sense.

But the two things can't be separated - all decisions on the football side have to be made with reference to our finances.

When do you expect the bailiffs to arrive at Spurs?

There are so many posts like this knocking around at the moment.

What's your point, that we should just go on racking up more and more debt because banks are reluctant to force Premier League clubs out of business?

Guest icemanblue

But the two things can't be separated - all decisions on the football side have to be made with reference to our finances.

Yeah, and?

Yeah, and?

So it's not really possible to judge decisions based only on the football side, without thinking about the finance. That's all.

We didn't get relegated due to financial policy, we were relegated due to the insanity of the management situation. No-one can claim it didn't cost us a single point over the course of the year.

We didn't get relegated due to financial policy, we were relegated due to the insanity of the management situation. No-one can claim it didn't cost us a single point over the course of the year.

:thup:

That we should spend money relative to our income, with the third largest gate in the country, to try and win stuff and play Champions League football, like we did (tried) for years! Fucking hell. This is exactly what I mean about people just being happy with the club actually existing regardless of how good the team is. What ambition! No wonder players are wanting away when even the fans don't care about attempting success.

That we should spend money relative to our income, with the third largest gate in the country, to try and win stuff and play Champions League football, like we did (tried) for years! Fucking hell. This is exactly what I mean about people just being happy with the club actually existing regardless of how good the team is. What ambition! No wonder players are wanting away when even the fans don't care about attempting success.

Isn't spending money relative to our income what we're trying to do? The problem in the past was spending too much money relative to our income.

I want Champions League football again as much as anyone, I just can't argue too much with the need to make the finances more sustainable.

I just wish you would stop it with the over-simplified argument and the avoidance of the fact that our finances were getting worse and couldn't continue in that way. Fair enough the bailiffs haven't turned up at Spurs, or Man Utd and co, but then again Portsmouth went into administration and almost ceased to exist.

Isn't spending money relative to our income what we're trying to do? The problem in the past was spending too much money relative to our income.

For all the talk of costs, maybe we should be far more concerned about how our income is going to suffer through lower sales of corporate boxes & hospitality areas and advertising round the ground, slowly being replaced with the default SD hoardings.

Don't the accounts say we have one of the lowest debts in the league? Why the fuck are we selling Andy Carroll then? How long will you accept this claim that the club is still in crisis?