Finances 09/10 - 'Our vision for the club is to finish 10th or above every year'

quayside

Mike ashley isn't a cunt, he's just really, really bad at running football clubs

5.2 The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

:sadnod:

The only thing a scoreboard does is provide photo opportunities when you get hammered, which always looks like it would be far more humiliating on your own scoreboard.

http://www.nufc.com/images/2005-06images/2006-04-17scoreboard.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45242000/jpg/_45242370_germanyengscoreboard226282.jpg

No thank you very much.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/liverpoolpost/nov2007/1/3/74419646-F575-8F27-85B8C5365AB19EE8.jpg

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2009/Nov/Week4/15464324.jpg

etc etc

Not that I want one, like. Just playing devil's advocate and that.

Guest Howaythetoon

Mike Ashley shouldn't be praised for putting his own money into his own business, he has to do that because his business is or was struggling which was mostly down to his own mismanagement anway. And we are not financially better off either, the club is in debt to its owner, Mike Ashley. He isn't some philanthrapist or a form of charity, he will want his money back and will get his money back one way or another - all at the expense of what is best for this club in the process. Stability, ambition, keeping our better players, full houses etc. All of which has not happened nor will ever happen with Mike Ashley as the owner and the clowns that are Lambias as MD and Pardew as the manager. I find it absolutely incredible that people are falling for the spin being put out about the finances of the club. We are worse off today than we have been financially in our entire history. The club owes one man over £200m for crying out loud!

There is hope though, it appears the club is being ran based on an exit strategy.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/liverpoolpost/nov2007/1/3/74419646-F575-8F27-85B8C5365AB19EE8.jpg

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2009/Nov/Week4/15464324.jpg

etc etc

Not that I want one, like. Just playing devil's advocate and that.

As I said, far more humiliating on your home scoreboard if you ask me. To be honest, I don't really mind the Man Utd style digital scoreboard, in the corner and not very noticeable, I'd rather not but if it's that difficult to keep score, then fine. It would have helped me when I got into the Man City game at 1-0 down and didn't realise till afterwards that we'd gotten beat 3-1 rather than 2-1.

I can't stand the enormous tacky video screens though, especially if it's reducing the capacity which is outrageous.

It doesn't mention reducing capacity, not sure where people got that from. It talks about making 5,000 seats obstructed view, which would be stupid in its own right. Obstructed views were one of the biggest knocks against old stadiums/arenas for all sports. Would be silly to create this problem.

Looking at this from an American point of view though, it's ridiculous that a world class stadium doesn't have a video board or scoreboard. 

'Corner that doesn't beat the first man sponsored by Smashed pasties ltd.'

Sponsoring throw ins and all that small time crap...ugh. I like the little subtle clocks. They're canny smart

The foundations for that kind of thing were laid some time ago now, starting when red and blue paint was daubed all over the roof of our magnificent stadium.

Mike Ashley shouldn't be praised for putting his own money into his own business, he has to do that because his business is or was struggling which was mostly down to his own mismanagement anway. And we are not financially better off either, the club is in debt to its owner, Mike Ashley. He isn't some philanthrapist or a form of charity, he will want his money back and will get his money back one way or another - all at the expense of what is best for this club in the process. Stability, ambition, keeping our better players, full houses etc. All of which has not happened nor will ever happen with Mike Ashley as the owner and the clowns that are Lambias as MD and Pardew as the manager. I find it absolutely incredible that people are falling for the spin being put out about the finances of the club. We are worse off today than we have been financially in our entire history. The club owes one man over £200m for crying out loud!

There is hope though, it appears the club is being ran based on an exit strategy.

Quoted for truth.  We aren't significantly better than last year. We would be if we don't spend the Carroll's money this summer but we will all go mad (including me).

I remember when we were beating swindon 7-1 and eveyone was saying - Fucking hell whats going to happen the scoreboard only goes up to nine. :kasper:

looked like we could score 20 that day- anyways they got a message to the players and they stopped scoring.

Really haven't got the time to join in but wanted to say one important thing.

People saying we now have one of the lowest debts in the Premiership, that it stands at £17m (if I've heard correctly) - this ignores our debt to Ashley (I assume...........). Given this, and going purely on these figures, it's going to be something in the way of £170m, so it's not that pleasant.

People saying we now have one of the lowest debts in the Premiership, that it stands at £17m (if I've heard correctly) - this ignores our debt to Ashley (I assume...........). Given this, and going purely on these figures, it's going to be something in the way of £170m, so it's not that pleasant.

£17m was the loss in the year, not the debt. That's £150m.

£17m was the loss in the year, not the debt. That's £150m.

Right, thought that might be the case. Still, correct me if I'm wrong but people (here or in the media) seem to be talking about our debt now (post-promotion) being relatively low and only discussing it in terms what is owed to people other than Ashley.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Sky Sports News keep saying we owe ~£150m interest free to Mike Ashley, as he's absorbed all the other (real) debts.

Is being an Ashley empathiser any better than being an Ashley sympathiser?

Nah. Actually, despite the fact that I've stated many times of my hatred for Ashley, if you think Pardew is ok, don't really rate Hughton, think the Carroll situation was a decent deal and don't grab your pitchfork and run to the steps of SJP every day screaming "YOU FAT COCKNEY b******" then you're an Ashley sympathiser. Or even better, part of his fan club.

or if you pipe up making devils advocate type comments that more often than not are in favour of ashley in every thread, like you do. you only get called things like ashley sympathiser because of that mate, i dont understand the constant denial

:rolleyes:

Sorry, I forgot you know my opinion better than I do.

God isn't Ashley great. Go Ashley.

Ian W, i absolutely agree it would be dull and i enjoy the debates and reading people's opinions.

JH - i appreciate the moral grey area stance but the fact is you pop up in threads all over the place preaching leniency towards ashley, and then say you dont.

You might want to read the moments where I pop in threads and slate the guy too then :thup:

Sky Sports News keep saying we owe ~£150m interest free to Mike Ashley, as he's absorbed all the other (real) debts.

Other than a smallish overdraft and the normal trading debts that figure won't be too far out. Without access to a league table of debt I don't know what debt other clubs have but l would think we are well up there.

The key thing is what Ashley wants to do with that debt, and despite speculation no one has a clue what the answer to that is. The other factor of course is that our debt can only be "called in" by the owner  of the club and there aren't many other clubs in that situation. 

The club is also likely to launch its own television channel along the same lines as Liverpool TV, which will be part of the Freeview and Sky package and paid for through advertising

Where's that quote from?

If they show reserve matches on it that would be class!

I hope this happens.

Whilst a television channel would be brilliant, I can't ever see it happening.

The demand just isn't there and because of that, the money made from advertising and subscriptions/whatever they chose to do wouldn't cover the costs of running the channel.

It's fine for Manchester United and Real Madrid, but I've heard Liverpool struggle as did the Boro when they had one and it being the reason why a channel under NTL didn't come off back under Bobby.

'Corner that doesn't beat the first man sponsored by Smashed pasties ltd.'

Sponsoring throw ins and all that small time crap...ugh. I like the little subtle clocks. They're canny smart

The foundations for that kind of thing were laid some time ago now, starting when red and blue paint was daubed all over the roof of our magnificent stadium.

goes back longer than that. i remember back to the early 80's and going to away games at the likes of shrewsbury and oxford and reading their programmes and seeing their players had individual kit sponsors and thinking how tacky and small time it was.

Turnover is absolutely nothing in business... alarm bells should start ringing if a large turnover isn't leading to a sizeable profit.

A football supporter who wants his club to make sizeable profits for it's owner  :facepalm:

Alarm bells should start ringing if a large turnover is reducing year on year in comparison to it's competitors. Maybe people with a vested interest in that company should think twice before praising the management for running the company well financially by cutting pay and selling off assets.

If you don't think turnover is important, I guess you think it should be quite easy for us to get back into Europe, the top 4, and even compete for the title? We did it before with a poor chairman hamstrung by a high wage bill, so now we have the dream team of Ashley, Llambias, Pardew & a low wage bill, it should be pretty easy to do.

Man, I know you have an opinion and it will never change, but could you at least try to understand what he's trying to say before applying the usual straw man? :lol:

FFS UV, I wasn't saying that at all. I was saying that constantly referring to our 'massive turnover' doesn't mean anything IN BUSINESS, unless it leads to a healthy profit.

Not that I should have believed it was possible to have a decent debate in this thread once the broad brush strokes started coming out. Reductio ad absurdum should be the motto of this forum at times like.

I've been meaning to stick this on here for some time but now is as good a time as any.

It is about the "Ashley lover" thing that gets thrown at anyone who doesn't automatically reject anything and everything that the current regime do.  I think everyone and I do mean everyone on here is quite aware of the sheer idiocy of decisions made over the past 3 years or so. There has been a palpable lack of honesty at times as well. But it seems to some that anyone who might even consider the economic and financial realities of our situation (some will, and indeed should, stop reading there) is branded an "Ashley lover". The football consequences of the crap decisions have been obvious and the financial consequences are there for anyone that wants to look. The theory seems to be that anyone who meets the assumed definition of an "Ashley lover" is quite content to sit back and watch mid table mediocrity  (at best), Ashley crapping all over the club, taking the piss out of the fans,  as long as the finances work etc etc.

I just want to say it is utter bollox. That is all.