Buying to Sell

Guest BooBoo

Of course it's guess work but even if we'd stayed up that season, I can't envisage Ashley turning down a chance to make an £8million profit on Bassong.

You're missing the picture imo. NUFC's value depends on results. And you don't get results without have proper squad. So if we stayed up, selling Bassong would not automatically mean £8 mill profit  because the squad value is reduced accordingly. Who wants to take over a club that's placed on the lower tier of the table and with a rubbish squad? If you on the other hand have a squad filled with promising prospects it's much easier to sell the club, if that's what MA wants. The only way MA is going to be able to make money on this club is if he manage to establish the club on the upper half of the table, preferably with  young and promising players. Selling the best prospects will not get him there. Although Carroll was the exception that confirms the rule. The offer was too good to turn down.

Also, buying cheap and young doesn't necessary imply that MA is interested in reselling them with profit. He might see this strategy as a way to manage  risks. As long as players bought are in that category he's not throwing money out the window. If a player doesn't succeed, it's likely that MA is able to get most of his money back through a sale. That probability is on the other hand reduced if that particular player is old, was an expensive buy and is on a high salary.

Bassong we were relegated and Milner was an unbelievable sale for the money we got. He's average, not world class.

..... and incidentally put in a written transfer request after being refused a pay rise.

Bassong we were relegated and Milner was an unbelievable sale for the money we got. He's average, not world class.

Would you rather have had that money or stayed up with the extra point that I'm fairly sure a player of Milner's (and/or N'Zogbia's) productivity would have earned us over a season?

To those mentioning Spurs sell-to-buy policy, if you suggested to Harry Redknapp that they had one, I suspect he'd laugh in your face.

In theory it works great, have a price for each player, which has the cost of suitable replacement factored in. In reality however...

Would you rather have had that money or stayed up with the extra point that I'm fairly sure a player of Milner's (and/or N'Zogbia's) productivity would have earned us over a season?

To those mentioning Spurs sell-to-buy policy, if you suggested to Harry Redknapp that they had one, I suspect he'd laugh in your face.

are we allowed to say that maybe if players like colo and barton had lived upto their billing and price tags that season we may not have gone down also ?

re spurs and redknapp......he benefitted from sours making profits on players.

are we allowed to say that maybe if players like colo and barton had lived upto their billing and price tags that season we may not have gone down also ?

Indeed. What's your point? That we should sell good players and expect other players to make up the shortfall in the team? How does having an expensive centre half help if you've sold a winger and need to buy Ryan Taylor to fill the gap?

Barton hardly played by the way, six appearances, and we'd have been down a long time before if we'd not won the games against Villa and West Brom at home, two of his best games for us prior to this season.

Indeed. What's your point? That we should sell good players and expect other players to make up the shortfall in the team? How does having an expensive centre half help if you've sold a winger and need to buy Ryan Taylor to fill the gap?

Barton hardly played by the way, six appearances, and we'd have been down a long time before if we'd not won the games against Villa and West Brom at home, two of his best games for us prior to this season.

shit aye, i forgot, that was the season of bartons imprisonment and suspensions etc wasn't it.

i'd have thought having an expensive centre half meant you'd hope you got relative performances from him and we had a player on the books apparently capable of playing wide right with some success....but he was in prison and suspended quite a lot of  that season.

Point is, spurs have done it and found success, so now they don't have to sell to buy anymore. Please understand.

Point is, spurs have done it and found success, so now they don't have to sell to buy anymore. Please understand.

No, they had managers who did it, got sacked because the team was shit as a result, now they have a manager who will fight tooth and nail to keep his best players and hasn't sold anyone. Please understand.

No, they had managers who did it, got sacked because the team was s*** as a result, now they have a manager who will fight tooth and nail to keep his best players and hasn't sold anyone. Please understand.

where did the money come from for him to spend ?

From the money the club generates obviously, same as ours used to. They've spent vastly more than they've made in transfer fees.

but you'll agree that they have made quite a lot from selling players for a lot more than they bought them for ?

Think the title and some of the discussion is a  bit misleading... we're not necessarily talking about buying to sell, we're talking about buying players who might have some resale value.

It doesn't meant the resale is the reason for the signing, it just means we're reducing the risk of signing total duds we'll never be able to shift.

Think the title and some of the discussion is a  bit misleading... we're not necessarily talking about buying to sell, we're talking about buying players who might have some resale value.

It doesn't meant the resale is the reason for the signing, it just means we're reducing the risk of signing total duds we'll never be able to shift.

Revolutionary. :lol:

Think the title and some of the discussion is a  bit misleading... we're not necessarily talking about buying to sell, we're talking about buying players who might have some resale value.

Revolutionary. :lol:

I wasn't saying it was, I was just trying to say that I don't think we're buying players because we're planning to sell them, which is what a lot of people seem to be arguing about.

And we've never managed it very often in the past.

no, there are those in this thread that think we are buying players solely with the aim of making a profit on them regardless of whether we need them or not.

no, there are those in this thread that think we are buying players solely with the aim of making a profit on them regardless of whether we need them or not.

I know, that's why I posted my post, because I think those people are wrong.

I do think we're targeting players who, for a variety of reasons, may be seen as 'going cheap'. The contract may be winding down, they may be walking on a Bosman, they may have fallen out with the manager, carrying an injury...whatever.

Sign 'em low, sell 'em high.

I agree, all I'm saying is that selling them for a profit isn't the main motivation - it's protecting the overall value of the deal by (a) signing players cheaply initially and (b) signing players who will still have value if we want to move them on.

I agree, all I'm saying is that selling them for a profit isn't the main motivation - it's protecting the overall value of the deal by (a) signing players cheaply initially and (b) signing players who will still have value if we want to move them on.

May not be the main motivation but I bet that particular ticky box is pretty high up on the list.

The deal needs to be right and the player needs games if he's going to be sold on/flogged for a lot of money. Signing a cheap player and letting them sit on the bench won't benefit anyone. They need to do the business a la Carroll/Tiote/Enrique if we're going to turn a decent profit on them. Signing knackers because they're cheap won't fill the coffers. 

You're spreading a myth. Please understand.

Can we please stop with this annoying myth that Spurs progressed by selling their best players. They were undoubtedly set back in their progress by the sale of Carrick despite spending ALL of the money they received PLUS another 20-odd million.

http://i.imgur.com/89DFY.png

Maybe the figures aren't completely accurate, but according to that site over the last decade Spurs net spend has been:

01-02 £8m

02-03 £13m

03-04 £14.2

04-05 £5m

05-06 £17.8m

06-07 £23.8m

07-08 £34.0m

08-09 £19.5m

09-10 £0.5m

10-11 £17.5m

Total: £153.3m