Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

To be frank, I wouldn't even rank Zidane above Xavi but I guess you can said I'm biased.

I saw him sleepwalk through too many games while at Real Madrid to really consider him one of the best ever, he always seemed to turn it on only in the last months of competition (didn't see him much while at Juve, though, outside of European competitions).

Xavi plays deeper, this season he is playing a more advanced role and has already scored more than Zidane did in any season in his career.

Plus, the difference in goalscoring - to me - isn't enough to put him in front of Xavi given what else he contributes to the team.

Xavi plays deeper, this season he is playing a more forward role and has already scored more than Zidane did in any season in his career.

I already said they played different roles!  Let's see if Xavi keeps it up.  He's got a lot of goalscoring ground to make up.

And don't take this as belittling Zidane, he was a wonderful player, but to me he wasn't consistently great. He did perform in the big games, indeed, but he wasn't Zidane during all the season.

Fair enough - I suppose I just think he was almost the ultimate big game player of recent times.  98, 2000 - exceptional.  2006 - pretty much dragged that French team to the final.  Anyway - we can leave it.

I'd agree with that - a balletic majesty...

Although his legacy was pretty amazing without that - 3 FIFA World Player of the Years, a World Cup and European Championship ain't bad.  And of course he didn't have the advantage of playing the best club side of the last 20 years.