Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

I just hope he wins it purely because for once it can be argued Messi doesn't deserve it and he has been so close to Messi in previous years, probably losing out once or twice purely because Messi is more universally popular. Obviously Messi deserved to win it the times he did as even though Ronaldo was scoring similar amounts of goals, Messi was leading his team to the champions league trophies etc.

So yeah I know it has no factoring in who was best over the last 12 months(even though I do think it was him)  but I think it would be good that he gets to win it this time because in the future if people look back in history and see he only won it once it may play down what a fantastic footballer he was.

On the subject of Ribery i must always catch him on a bad day as whenever i have watched him in the big games for Bayern or for France he has never stood out and performed as one of the worlds best.  I view him as i expect people overseas view Rooney...overrated.   

Not sure about the vision or passing. Ronaldo has one of the most accurate  long shots ever so he takes many less through ball attempts. He rarely hits balls too long or short in good positions though.

Closed spaces aye.

THE Ronaldo wasn't nearly as good in the air as Cristiano, mind.

Because he's a greedy b******. :lol:

Outstanding player though. :thup:

Unbelievable how little he gets injured as well.

To a degree aye.

On the subject of Ribery i must always catch him on a bad day as whenever i have watched him in the big games for Bayern or for France he has never stood out and performed as one of the worlds best.  I view him as i expect people overseas view Rooney...overrated.   

i largely agree. He looks amazing from the highlights from the Bundesliga. But in the big games he's a fancy James Milner. Talent wise he isn't top 5 in the world for me. Not a big fan at all.

I saw the last 20 minutes of the France game after switching from the Portugal game. I've watched loads of Ribery over the last decade. He's not on Ronaldo's level. If they swapped teams, Portugal would be out.

No one is saying that.... just that last season he was better than Ronaldo in the sense of driving his team to success as an individual.

Which to me is more impressive than scoring a boat load but winning nothing, wouldn't dream of implying Ribery is better though because he isn't.

I saw the last 20 minutes of the France game after switching from the Portugal game. I've watched loads of Ribery over the last decade. He's not on Ronaldo's level. If they swapped teams, Portugal would be out.

No one is saying that.... just that last season he was better than Ronaldo in the sense of driving his team to success as an individual.

Which to me is more impressive than scoring a boat load but winning nothing, wouldn't dream of implying Ribery is better though because he isn't.

You have obviously seen a lot more of Bayern than i have out of interest why isnt Robben getting similar praise to Ribery?  Robben always looks a lot more influential whenever i have seen Bayern play.

You have obviously seen a lot more of Bayern than i have out of interest why isnt Robben is getting similar praise to Ribery?  Robben always looks a lot more influential whenever i have seen Bayern play.

He spent a fair bit of time on the bench earlier in the season.. cos he's a lazy injury prone lad. While Ribery is Rooney-like in the Bundesliga.

Robben also gets accused of being selfish and a trouble maker. But he's a much better footballer than Ribery imo.

Robben wasn't a starter till Kroos injury in the beginning of March.... Robben was outstanding in the Semi's and Final but he wasn't even playing till Kroos got injured.

If he were i'd mention him above Ribery most likely but i can't ignore how irrelevant he was till March.

They are also a perfect partnership though.... Robben is the ice cold killer and Ribery is the cerebral assassin who effects the game in many different ways whose intelligence and playmaking abilities make everyone around him better.

Still think it's a bit harsh judging Ronaldo on Real Madrid's failings. Put Ribery in Real's team and they don't suddenly become Champions league winners.

Barca have been a better "team" than Real the last few years which is why Messi has won more trophies and therefore more Individual awards. Just like Bayern were/are a better team than Real.

I think it's unfair to keep punishing Ronaldo because he isn't in the best team.

Some will argue that he is the reason they are not a good team because he's selfish and doesn't defend very well. But I would call those people idiots :)

Still think it's a bit harsh judging Ronaldo on Real Madrid's failings. Put Ribery in Real's team and they don't suddenly become Champions league winners.

Barca have been a better "team" than Real the last few years which is why Messi has won more trophies and therefore more Individual awards. Just like Bayern were/are a better team than Real.

I think it's unfair to keep punishing Ronaldo because he isn't in the best team.

Some will argue that he is the reason they are not a good team because he's selfish and doesn't defend very well. But I would call those people idiots :)

Are Dortmund and Atletico better than Real Madrid then? two teams that beat Madrid when it mattered last season and nullified Ronaldo who also exploited the fact Madrid are very weak defensively on his side as well.

Also again despite Ronaldo's goals... Madrid are currently 3rd in La Liga because they lost to both Atletico and Barca.... again where was Ronaldo in those games?

I don't think its unfair at all, for the majority of his Real Madrid career he has defeated the smaller teams by himself but in key moments he's come up short.

Saying Barca and Bayern are better is all fine and dandy but fact of the matter is last season it wasn't Barca or Madrid that meant Ronaldo was trophyless it was Dortmund and Atletico who are not more talented than Real in anyones language and that's the important part when discussing his claim for Balon D'or.

For all his goals in 2013 when his team needed him most he was nowhere to be found.

I thought Robben was better than Ribery in the big champions league games last year to be honest. Robben is underrated, he is always a massive threat in every game he plays

Shows how much you follow Bayern. Robben is inconsistent as hell, and reason he looked more dangerous is because he's given more of a free-role. Ribery plays a very rigid style of football and works twice as hard as Robben.

i largely agree. He looks amazing from the highlights from the Bundesliga. But in the big games he's a fancy James Milner. Talent wise he isn't top 5 in the world for me. Not a big fan at all.

Get the fuck out of here :lol: Fancy James Milner :lol: You're so full of shit sometimes.

Although I'd still have Ronaldo over Ribery in terms of footballing ability, he's just not THAT much better, they fulfill different roles.

This prize thing is hard, based on ability alone Messi deserves it 10 out of 10 times, based on form Ronaldo deserves it and based on what he has achieved for his team in general Ribery deserves it.

I'd have

Messi

Ronaldo

Ribery

fwiw.

Are Dortmund and Atletico better than Real Madrid then? two teams that beat Madrid when it mattered last season and nullified Ronaldo who also exploited the fact Madrid are very weak defensively on his side as well.

Also again despite Ronaldo's goals... Madrid are currently 3rd in La Liga because they lost to both Atletico and Barca.... again where was Ronaldo in those games?

I don't think its unfair at all, for the majority of his Real Madrid career he has defeated the smaller teams by himself but in key moments he's come up short.

Saying Barca and Bayern are better is all fine and dandy but fact of the matter is last season it wasn't Barca or Madrid that meant Ronaldo was trophyless it was Dortmund and Atletico who are not more talented than Real in anyones language and that's the important part when discussing his claim for Balon D'or.

For all his goals in 2013 when his team needed him most he was nowhere to be found.

Athletico and Dortmund were better than Real in those games so yes. As a team Dortmund and Athetico worked better as a unit than Real. Mourinho's Madrid were very negative towards the end of his time there and didn't use there players to the best of their ability. Again take the star player from any of those teams and replace Ronaldo in the Real team with them and they fair even worse in my opinion.

Ronaldo may well be able to win games almost single-handedly for his country and against most of La Liga but at the very top level like champions league semi-finals etc you need more than that. The best team will more times than not beat the team that has the best player.

Madrid have been underachieving for a long time now. Just because they brought Ronaldo, doesn't mean they should start to hoover up all the trophies. Just like because Argentina have Messi and other quality attacking players doesn't mean they can dominate international football either.

I thought Robben was better than Ribery in the big champions league games last year to be honest. Robben is underrated, he is always a massive threat in every game he plays

Shows how much you follow Bayern. Robben is inconsistent as hell, and reason he looked more dangerous is because he's given more of a free-role. Ribery plays a very rigid style of football and works twice as hard as Robben.

Get the f*** out of here :lol: Fancy James Milner :lol: You're so full of s*** sometimes.

Although I'd still have Ronaldo over Ribery in terms of footballing ability, he's just not THAT much better, they fulfill different roles.

This prize thing is hard, based on ability alone Messi deserves it 10 out of 10 times, based on form Ronaldo deserves it and based on what he has achieved for his team in general Ribery deserves it.

I'd have

Messi

Ronaldo

Ribery

fwiw.

I didn't watch them that often, that's why I said Robben played better in the big Champions League games. Just looking back on what I said there. I meant to say Robben is a massive threat in most of the big games he plays, bigger threat than Ribery

Get the f*** out of here :lol: Fancy James Milner :lol: You're so full of s*** sometimes.

fwiw.

Rivaldo is a step above Ribery too.

Ribery's never truly been the sole star man in a great team. This is a lad who has been to a world cup final too. He wasn't particularly good in that tournament either. Robben was the best player in the latter stages of the CL.

I would have Totti & Robben over  Ribery.

Robben is a bigger threat than Ribery in big matches. A missed penalty here, taking an extra touch in the WC final - Robben's has been close to book-ending a few monumental moments. I'm glad it was him who closed the door on Dortmund.

Just realized Messi has played 400minutes less than CRonaldo which totals into more or less four and half game. Has scored 8 goals less than Ronaldo and has one assist more. Add their average last season which was more than one a game and Messi isn't far off Ronaldo this season in the La Liga. All that for the talk about his form dropping, as well as topping the SA WC qualifier and scoring second most goals.

All this with Messi out of couple of games and then back in, and then out and then back in. And his team is also unbeaten this season and won the league last season while he scored in like 16 consecutive games or something.

fwiw.

Rivaldo is a step above Ribery too.

Ribery's never truly been the sole star man in a great team. This is a lad who has been to a world cup final too. He wasn't particularly good in that tournament either. Robben was the best player in the latter stages of the CL.

I would have Totti & Robben over  Ribery.

Robben is a bigger threat than Ribery in big matches. A missed penalty here, taking an extra touch in the WC final - Robben's has been close to book-ending a few monumental moments. I'm glad it was him who closed the door on Dortmund.

I'm not comparing them over a large period of time, but ask anyone in Munich what they think of your opinion. Being to Munich quite often, I can already tell you you'll see their answers. Like I said based PURELY on ability I wouldn't have him top 5 either, but if we're taking into consideration everything then he's definitely top 3 as he was the instrumental and most important piece of a treble winning side.

Guest Howaythetoon

The only difference between Ronaldo and Messi is aesthetics and of course personal choice. They are both great great players, head and shoulders above everyone else. Ribery is a good player but that's about it. He is not on a level with Ronaldo, full stop.

The only difference between Ronaldo and Messi is aesthetics and of course personal choice. They are both great great players, head and shoulders above everyone else. Ribery is a good player but that's about it. He is not on a level with Ronaldo, full stop.

Messi is head and shoulders above everyone in terms of footballing ability, Ronaldo is the most athletic, but don't take anything away from Ribery HTT, you clearly don't watch him enough.

Ronaldo may well be able to win games almost single-handedly for his country and against most of La Liga but at the very top level like champions league semi-finals etc you need more than that. The best team will more times than not beat the team that has the best player.

this sums up why messi has beat ronaldo so often for the awards tbh, ronaldo is a goal machine but you get the feeling if the goals dry up he's done for, with messi you know if he isn't scoring goals he's got the ability to dictate games at the very highest level