Player Sales/Summer Spending 2011

Colocho

Caulkin also believes that the first few years of Tiote's new contract are also coming out of the Carroll cash.

He added that, if Enrique, Smith or Barton leave in the summer, then that will all be put back into pot (as would fees).

He means what Carroll would have earned as opposed to the actual money received surely? As for the rest thats hardly a surprise to hear.

The money received for Carroll, not the money saved on his wages.

In that case why add the words 'as would fees'?

I'm not sure. Perhaps the strategy will change in the summer?

Incoming, I'd look to buy....

Assuming Enrique goes (8m) - a left back 4/5m. Wouldn't mind if he was better defending than going forward.

A new no.9 - almost certainly from abroad, say 12/15m. Pace and technique to benefit from being slipped in by Ben Arfa, and big enough personality to carry the shirt and all the attention he'll be getting. (Wonder if he exists?).

A second pacy, versatile forward who can play wide (first team ahead of Jonas) or up front - 8/9m.  Again from abroad, likely.

So those three as priority. 29m + wages. (Already sounds quite a lot!)

Any money available from other sales and I'd look to make the spine as strong as possible and strengthen at centreback with a player a step up from Williamson and Taylor. Say 8m. Anyway, that's probably cloud cuckoo land for this year.

Pardew's more likely to be looking at a couple of young squad players.

Outgoing...

Enrique probably

Xisco

Campbell

Routledge

Guthrie (Gosling to take his place next year)

Lovenkrands

Jonas. I wouldn't sell, but might be a surprise exit depending on how Pardew rates him. Seems we did at least make a phone enquiry for N'Zogbia.

Expecting Smith to run his contract down, and for us to hang onto Perch for another year.

Here you go, a direct quote:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-Andy-Carroll-sale-Andy-Pardew-admits-players-disillusioned-disappointed-but-says-35m-fee-will-be-spent-on-new-faces-article687347.html

"The fee is enormous. I have had no chance to spend it. We have to make sure we spend it correctly in the summer. There will be £35m available and all of it will be spent, but it would be on fees AND wages."

Yeah thats the one i was thinking about, doesnt come close to suggesting that is over the length of a contract though as people keep saying. Just likely means we spend for example £25m on fees and £10m goes towards all wages/signing on fees etc.

Trouble is £25m won't even buy a replacement for AC, never mind anything else.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-Andy-Carroll-sale-Andy-Pardew-admits-players-disillusioned-disappointed-but-says-35m-fee-will-be-spent-on-new-faces-article687347.html

"The fee is enormous. I have had no chance to spend it. We have to make sure we spend it correctly in the summer. There will be £35m available and all of it will be spent, but it would be on fees AND wages."

Yeah thats the one i was thinking about, doesnt come close to suggesting that is over the length of a contract though as people keep saying. Just likely means we spend for example £25m on fees and £10m goes towards all wages/signing on fees etc.

Peter Odemwingie 11 goals £1million

Clint Dempsey 10 goals £2.5million

Hugo Rodallega 10 goals (last season) £4.5million

Just from the last couple of season, but going back through the years there are plenty of examples of players who didn't cost a fortune but performed in the Premiership. Yes, there are players who didn't perform, but it's far more obvious when they've got a large transfer fee attached to their name (see: Torres, F)

Peter Odemwingie 11 goals £1million

Clint Dempsey 10 goals £2.5million

Hugo Rodallega 10 goals (last season) £4.5million

Just from the last couple of season, but going back through the years there are plenty of examples of players who didn't cost a fortune but performed in the Premiership. Yes, there are players who didn't perform, but it's far more obvious when they've got a large transfer fee attached to their name (see: Torres, F)

And how much do they do for the rest of the team? He had six assists by December, that's without even considering the amount of play that went through him. Just signing a goalscorer isn't enough having lost a player like Carroll - that's why he's worth far more money than someone like Bent.

Do you think those three players are as good as Andy Carroll?

Are they as good as Andy Carroll? He's the type of player who'll get you Champions League football. Those three might keep you up, if you're lucky.

We need a player as good as him to be on a par with the beginning of this season, before we do anything else. An inferior player means we've gone backwards. Shouldn't be a problem considering how good our scouting is.

How would you spend the money we've raised from the sales of Carroll, Enrique (potentially) and any players that we'll be looking to let go this summer?

There are players like Xisco, Campbell, Lovenkrands and Perch, who we'd ideally replace. If we could shed these four the wage bill would be reduced by around £80k a week or £4.1m a year - would that be fair to say? Ideally Smith would go as well but with his £50k a week wages I can't see him being an attractive prospect to many clubs ...

Ideally we'd generate at least £5m from the sales of these four players and reduce the wage bill by around £4.1m a year.

Let's assume we sell Enrique for £10 million, and in the same process also reduce the wage bill by £1.8m a year (£35k a week is a conservative estimate, imo).

We'll also have £40k a week freed from Carroll and Kuqi leaving the club = £2m a year

We have the £30 million from the Carroll sale ready to spend.

So, ideally from players sales in 2011, we'd have raised around £45 million.

And in the process, we would have also reduced the wage bill by around 8 million a year.

Which would give us just over £53 million to spend on transfers, signing on fees and (for argument's sake) money to pay the first year of any new signing's contract.

How would you spend it?

Do you honestly think it's wise to trim the squad given how woefully short it's proven to have been through recent matches?

Guest Roger Kint

How would you spend the money we've raised from the sales of Carroll, Enrique (potentially) and any players that we'll be looking to let go this summer?

There are players like Xisco, Campbell, Lovenkrands and Perch, who we'd ideally replace.

Do you honestly think it's wise to trim the squad given how woefully short it's proven to have been through recent matches?

REPLACE!

There are players like Xisco, Campbell, Lovenkrands and Perch, who we'd ideally replace. If we could shed these four the wage bill would be reduced by around £80k a week or £4.1m a year - would that be fair to say? Ideally Smith would go as well but with his £50k a week wages I can't see him being an attractive prospect to many clubs ...

Ideally we'd generate at least £5m from the sales of these four players and reduce the wage bill by around £4.1m a year.

Let's assume we sell Enrique for £10 million, and in the same process also reduce the wage bill by £1.8m a year (£35k a week is a conservative estimate, imo).

We'll also have £40k a week freed from Carroll and Kuqi leaving the club = £2m a year

And in the process, we would have also reduced the wage bill by around 8 million a year.

Which would give us just over £53 million to spend on transfers, signing on fees and (for argument's sake) money to pay the first year of any new signing's contract.

How would you spend it?

Sol Campbell and James Perch are not good enough, simple as. If we sign a couple of strikers, and play one up front, Lovenkrands will be redundant.

There are players like Xisco, Campbell, Lovenkrands and Perch, who we'd ideally replace.

REPLACE!

With what money? As it is the Carroll cash needs investing in the fees/wages of a couple of quality front men and a genuine winger, that's before you start flogging what we already have.

Guest Roger Kint

REPLACE!

With what money? As it is the Carroll cash needs investing in the fees/wages of a couple of quality front men and a genuine winger, that's before you start flogging what we already have.

Last i checked Xisco and Loven were strikers ergo by your own words will be replaced. The fact that Xisco and campbell rarely trouble the teamsheet means they wont exactly be missed to start with, their wages however are a large drain on the club.

How would you spend it?

Sol Campbell and James Perch are not good enough, simple as. If we sign a couple of strikers, and play one up front, Lovenkrands will be redundant.

I'm aware how poor they are but it takes time to build quality squad. Smith is dreadful too but we're in an unfortunate position where we can't afford to ship him in case anything happens to Tiote/Nolan.

REPLACE!

Last i checked Xisco and Loven were strikers ergo by your own words will be replaced. The fact that Xisco and campbell rarely trouble the teamsheet means they wont exactly be missed to start with, their wages however are a large drain on the club.

As far I'm concerned we only possess three strikers capable of netting at this level, two of them have previous in the injury department, if nothing else Lovenkrands provides a bit of depth.

£53 million? You're mad if you think we'll see anything other than kaka from that money with Ashley in charge.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7239/kakasz.jpg

http://qxmail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dr-evil-02.jpg

:lol:

Guest Petay

How would you spend it?

I'm aware how poor they are but it takes time to build quality squad. Smith is dreadful too but we're in an unfortunate position where we can't afford to ship him in case anything happens to Tiote/Nolan.

I agree with most of what you say, except I feel that Lovenkrands and (trust me it pains me to say this) Perch should be kept.  Selling Perch would feel a bit like when we sold Hughes (I know he's not as good) he's still young, on pennies and can fill in across the back four, also you never know competent defenders in the past have looked pap in their first season in the Premiership.  Both can do a job, within a very limited remit, and at the moment we can't afford to be too free and easy with our squad trimming.  As for Smith I'm with you, I'd love to get rid but I just can't see it happening.

How would you spend it?

Smith seeing out his contract here is inevitable.

1. We do need some kind of back-up for Tiote and Nolan, as you said (I would like to see us sign another CM for the record).

2. He must have some kind of value within the squad, being vice-captain.

3. Can you see anyone paying cash for him?

4. Can you see anyone taking on his wages?

It's a shame, because he's on at least £50k a week, which could be spent elsewhere.

Guest Petay

cheeky bid for palacios and play him and tiote as the 2 with a 3 1 ahead

Not such thing as a cheeky bid with Spurs, they squeeze the pips when it comes to transfers out.