Player Sales/Summer Spending 2011

Colocho

Enrique will be off, we'll replace him and sign Elmander, Bothroyd and Larsson all on frees and that will be us done. Routledge will be gone as well, Alan Smith will continue to be our 'backup' to Tiote.

Guest Roger Kint

We wont be spending 53 million quid this summer, not a chance in hell!

we will, bearing in mind we already pay that in wages and according to some we are going to pay the wages all in one go.

Never said that. It's just a few months ago, Pardew said that the money received from selling Carroll would contribute to the signing on fees and contracts of new players.

When you consider £40,000 a week spread over a 4 year contract is around £8 million, £53 million doesn't sound as grand a sum ...

Where did he say 'the entire length of their contract'?

we will, bearing in mind we already pay that in wages and according to some we are going to pay the wages all in one go.

Never said that. It's just a few months ago, Pardew said that the money received from selling Carroll would contribute to the signing on fees and contracts of new players.

When you consider £40,000 a week spread over a 4 year contract is around £8 million, £53 million doesn't sound as grand a sum ...

and as i mentioned earlier "contribute" could be the key section of that sentence. i'd doubt they are using it to pay all the wages up front especually for a player who may not see out even half their contract.

and as i mentioned earlier "contribute" could be the key section of that sentence. i'd doubt they are using it to pay all the wages up front especually for a player who may not see out even half their contract.

He didn't. Which is why I suggested a year's wages.

spooky , so did i earlier. you'll have to change your sum then as 40k times 52 doesn't = 8mill.

Guest Roger Kint

spooky , so did i earlier. you'll have to change your sum then as 40k times 52 doesn't = 8mill.

That was my thinking behind his post too

I was speaking generally.

Crikey lads, I'd never have expected such pendantry in a purely hypothetical thread from you guys!

Guest Roger Kint

Its not the first time you(and others) have made this claim so its hardly pedantic to ask where it comes from, i dont even remember him saying wages of 'new players' either for that matter so apologies for asking you to justify something you are stating as fact.

Crikey lads, I'd never have expected such pendantry in a purely hypothetical thread from you guys!

the difference is a fair bit of money though innit ?

Hypothetically, how much money do you think we'll have to spend on transfers this summer?

Its not the first time you(and others) have made this claim so its hardly pedantic to ask where it comes from, i dont even remember him saying wages of 'new players' either for that matter so apologies for asking you to justify something you are stating as fact.

It was reported by George Caulkin, who was at the press conference Pardew said it at.

Hypothetically, how much money do you think we'll have to spend on transfers this summer?

It was reported by George Caulkin, who was at the press conference he said it at.

30mill tops

as for the caulkin bit he did say contribute. barnados gets millions of which i contribute about £1.50 per week

Guest Roger Kint

Again as madras says there is a huge difference between the two. Any chance of a link to this story?

Deleted that link because I've no doubt someone will point out those are not Pardew's words. Still, there are a number of articles from that time where the same was reported. It even made a thread on RTG about him 'letting slip'.

Anyway, from the same article:

"I said to Mike: 'Look, this money has to be reinvested in the team. All of it,'" Pardew said. "And he assured me of that. That is the most important message I can give Newcastle fans today. I talked to Mike 15 minutes ago to clarify that and he was pretty clear. The money will be Andy's legacy to the team."

Doesn't sound like running costs to me.

Guest Roger Kint

Caulkin:

'but Pardew has been assured by the club's ownership that all the money received for Carroll will be reinvested on fees and wages this northern summer'

So he wrote a vague line regarding how it will be spent, that could mean anything from 95% fees to 5% fees in all honesty. Unsurprising to see some opting for one extreme in the absense of any clear answer.

Not sure what a 'northern summer' is either ;D

Here you go, a direct quote:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-Andy-Carroll-sale-Andy-Pardew-admits-players-disillusioned-disappointed-but-says-35m-fee-will-be-spent-on-new-faces-article687347.html

"The fee is enormous. I have had no chance to spend it. We have to make sure we spend it correctly in the summer. There will be £35m available and all of it will be spent, but it would be on fees AND wages."

Caulkin:

'but Pardew has been assured by the club's ownership that all the money received for Carroll will be reinvested on fees and wages this northern summer'

So he wrote a vague line regarding how it will be spent, that could mean anything from 95% fees to 5% fees in all honesty. Unsurprising to see some opting for one extreme in the absense of any clear answer.

Not sure what a 'northern summer' is either ;D

Knowing our owners in the only way we do, my estimation is that the contribution would be closer to 95% than 5%.

Guest Roger Kint

Here you go, a direct quote:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-Andy-Carroll-sale-Andy-Pardew-admits-players-disillusioned-disappointed-but-says-35m-fee-will-be-spent-on-new-faces-article687347.html

"The fee is enormous. I have had no chance to spend it. We have to make sure we spend it correctly in the summer. There will be £35m available and all of it will be spent, but it would be on fees AND wages."

Yeah thats the one i was thinking about, doesnt come close to suggesting that is over the length of a contract though as people keep saying. Just likely means we spend for example £25m on fees and £10m goes towards all wages/signing on fees etc.

I think two or three will go and four or five will come in. There won't be wholesale changes because there doesn't need to be. Yes the squad's weak as it stands, but we need to add to it, rather than decimate it further. There's only a couple of players in the squad i'd consider completely surplus to requirements - and that's Smith and Perch. Saying that, i don't think either of them will be the ones to leave.

Going off the hypothetical formula that 'spending big means getting better players' - i'd spend big on a CB, LM and CF. Another attacker and another full-back would also be useful.

Caulkin also believes that the first few years of Tiote's new contract are also coming out of the Carroll cash.

He added that, if Enrique, Smith or Barton leave in the summer, then that will all be put back into pot (as would fees).

Guest Roger Kint

Caulkin also believes that the first few years of Tiote's new contract are also coming out of the Carroll cash.

He added that, if Enrique, Smith or Barton leave in the summer, then that will all be put back into pot (as would fees).

He means what Carroll would have earned as opposed to the actual money received surely? As for the rest thats hardly a surprise to hear.

Everything is coming out of the 'Carroll cash' and other revenue streams, the money will be in the club account not in Dekkas top drawer waiting to be spent on a new player in the summer.

He means what Carroll would have earned as opposed to the actual money received surely? As for the rest thats hardly a surprise to hear.

The money received for Carroll, not the money saved on his wages.

Guest Roger Kint

The money received for Carroll, not the money saved on his wages.

In that case why add the words 'as would fees'?

£53 million? You're mad if you think we'll see anything other than kaka from that money with Ashley in charge.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7239/kakasz.jpg

http://qxmail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dr-evil-02.jpg