Liverpool v NUFC Pre-match thread (01/05/2010 - 12 KO)

Beren

Guest sicko2ndbest

This is the same Liverpool side who were getting stuffed week in week out a few months ago. Ffs they lost to Blackburn only a few weeks ago

Yes they have more confidence but They are also without gerrard.

We should be confident of getting something

This is the same Liverpool side who were getting stuffed week in week out a few months ago. Ffs they lost to Blackburn only a few weeks ago

Under Hodgson, yeah. This is the same Liverpool side with 6 wins in their last 8 at home (including thumping both Man U and Man City).

Up against the Newcastle with 6 defeats in our last 11 away games, only managing 13 goals all season.

I think I understand the pessimism.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Under Hodgson, yeah. This is the same Liverpool side with 6 wins in their last 8 at home (including thumping both Man U and Man City).

Up against the Newcastle with 6 defeats in our last 11 away games, only managing 13 goals all season.

I think I understand the pessimism.

Agree to an extent

I understand the workings of positive energy and the effect of playing with confidence, but this is a very poor Liverpool side.

I would be very confident if, and I know it's a big If, we had a decent striker

But it's not a poor Liverpool side.

They're playing with confidence and their organisation is superb. They p*ssed all over Birmingham, took Arsenal all the way at the Emirates and hammered both Manchester City and United.

They're on the brink of 5th place, which is incredible considering their form pre-Christmas. Of course this is a decent Liverpool side.

Guest sicko2ndbest

But it's not a poor Liverpool side.

They're playing with confidence and their organisation is superb. They p*ssed all over Birmingham, took Arsenal all the way at the Emirates and hammered both Manchester City and United.

They're on the brink of 5th place, which is incredible considering their form pre-Christmas. Of course this is a decent Liverpool side.

Player for player they are as poor a Liverpool side as we've seen. A post on the previous page highlights that our midfield and defence are stronger player for player

I expect us to lose but don't think it is a foregone conclusion

I know, I wrote the post :lol:

They aren't stronger player for player at the back, it's probably 50-50 but that's on paper, and football isn't won on paper. It also completely ignores my point, which is Liverpool's confidence and their organisation, which is about 100% better than our current confidence and organisation away from home.

Can see us going into this one in 451 formation due to the major lack of options

Krul

Simpson, Colocini, Williamson, Enrique

Raylor, Barton, Tiote, Gutierrez

Nolan

Ameobi

Subs: Harper, Lovenkrands, Saylor, Ranger, Kuqi, Ferguson, Campbell

0-2 defeat

That formation isn't actually too bad.  Despite Raylor being a dreadful full back, he can be useful on the right.  Jonas can provide the pace and trickery whilst Raylor could work the ball around with Barton.  However, I still think Nolan is better attacking from deeper, and as such prefers to play CM.

I would like to see:

Krul

Simpson  Williamson  Colo  Jose

Tiote

Barton  Guthrie  Nolan  Jonas

Ameobi

I think this limits our potential to get humped with Tiote protecting our defence from the bin rippers getting too much time to work good openings and I'd like to see Williamson and Colo use their aerial prowess to limit them humping the ball at us.  Obviously, we're not going to score a hat-full like this, but I'm holding out for a 1-0 win the like of which we got at Arsenal.

Guest Antec

Carroll is not playing I assume?

starting on the bench I reckon.

Probably looked at him funny

Guest Stephen927

Not keen on 12pm kick offs on a Sunday. We'll lose 2-0. Suarez and Meireles.

Not looking forward to this. Can see it being a poor game with them shading it although their defence can definitely be got at but I don't think we've got the quality to take advantage.

Be interesting to see how Coloccini gets on against Suarez, the latter has impressed me massively since his move and looks dangerous everytime he gets the ball but he should be the exact type of player that Colo should excel against as he is very much the traditional South American forward who Colo will have grown up playing against.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Nolan doubtful according to SSN.

Barton inside, Raylor wide then? Or Perch?